Hello Everybody ;)

Rutheford261

Hello Everybody ;)

I am starting my adventure with plastic modeling. I am interested in tanks of WWII and cold war in 1/72. Is it OK today painting models by brush? I know that painting by airbrush is beter, but… I have no place, no money for it and no time to conservation of equipment. I want to painting by brush. What kind of brush and acrylic paints do You recommend? What what other advice You have for beginers? 

Thank You very much! 

• Like 2

Gidday @Rutheford261, welcome aboard. I do model ships rather than tanks but I use a brush too, I've never had an airbrush. However I use enamels. This is because that's what I used as a kid fifty years ago and have stayed with them. Others use acrylic paints instead so I don't know if one type of paint is better than the other.

My suggestion is to buy a cheap kit and paint it how you think, which seems to be acrylics. If it works to your satisfaction then great! If it isn't too good then try the next kit with the other, enamels. I don't know anything about primers, undercoats or pre-shading, but hopefully others can advise you there. I hope this helps you a little.

Regards, Jeff.

Hi Rutheford, welcome to the forum!

There's nothing wrong with brush painting, I did it for years and still do to an extent.  Remember this is a fun hobby, therefore there are no rules.  Do your own thing and enjoy it, you'll find a host of people here of all levels of ability but the one thing we all share is a love for the hobby and appreciation of each others' models.  The wealth of knowledge here is quite staggering and I've learned a lot during the year or so I've been here so sit back and enjoy the ride.  🙂

Hello 👋 and welcome! 

Nothing wrong with brush painting .... I use a mixture of brushes, airbrush, acrylic and enamel paints .... you'll find your own way! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

Welcome to the No.1 modelling site and forum! You will get as much support, guidance and enthusiasm here as you need or want! Its a great please to hang out :).

Martin

:welcome:aboard :yes:

On 08/05/2023 at 14:09, Rutheford261 said:

Is it OK today painting models by brush?

Absolutely it is!!!!  Some modellers are a bit snobbish when it comes to brush-painting, and to be fair it does limit your use of techniques a little, but I have seen the odd model that's been brush-painted that has blown my socks clean off my feet.  I'm no expert on brush-painting in any way, shape or form though, as I'm lucky enough to have an airbrush.  Some of the guys will be more than happy to help out with tips and techniques though.  They're a good bunch here :)

On 08/05/2023 at 14:09, Rutheford261 said:

I want to painting by brush. What kind of brush and acrylic paints do You recommend? What what other advice You have for beginers? 

In short, paint thinned correctly., and use a flat brush.

@PlaStix  is very skilled with brushing acrylics, and posted a video of the main technique.

see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235103097-plastixs-brush-painted-2021/

video is here

https://youtu.be/QwdZtF_dpDY

Revell Aqua, Vallejo Model Color  and Tamiya are all good  for brushing,  thinned with water and tiny amount of flow improver. 

Revell Aqua and Vallejo are latex acrylic with water as the solvent, Tamiya is a different type, using a type of alcohol and water as a solvent.

The few things I have completed on here are all brush painted, I use artist oils thinned with lighter fuel for washes and weathering.  

HTH

• Like 1

Hello from Russia!

You can paint by brush. You can paint by airbrush. Is it so very important? You have be happy. It have be very important for you.

:post1: