Airfix 1/48 Jaguar GR1 (Kit was GR3/ES) New to modelling, First Builds

1 hour ago, AlxBNE said:

You know you want to !

......go on.....

A 1/48 tanker of some sort refueling your Jag hanging from the ceiling would look amazing.

It will be HUGE....but certainly impressive.

Well I've got a lot of spare time this weekend - So!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MickE said:

Thanks Dave I shall have to try and print my own as well then.

I think to work well, you need a graphics type colour printer.  Wonder if there's any advice on here?

Your second model shows improvement over your first.   And that is all you can ask for.  As for the level of build, it is far more advanced than is expected from a second build.  To tackle modifications and resin additions on your second kit is a giant leap over just learning how to put basic kits together.  To avoid problems with superglue glazing you could try dipping your clear parts in Future (or a similar protective finish) and it will avoid the problems with the fumes from the superglue affecting the clear parts.  Again, this is a very well done kit and you should be proud of it regardless of how many kits you have build.  Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/04/2023 at 09:22, AlxBNE said:

You know you want to !

......go on.....

A 1/48 tanker of some sort refueling your Jag hanging from the ceiling would look amazing.

It will be HUGE....but certainly impressive.

I have now finished my in flight AAR version and posting soon, thanks for the encouragement

• Like 1

On 13/04/2023 at 19:51, MickE said:

Great work with my favourite jet! You have done it justice.

Where did you get the 41 Sqn decals? They are the old style from  when I was on  the sqn. I have the airfix kit myself but it comes with the newer type with the white outlines.

Update on the decals, as suggested when reading through the sites, this time I tried putting gloss varnish on before the decals and they now look much better

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:07 AM, BertieBox said:

Thanks Mick

I wanted an early Jag and obviously with Recce Pod had to be 41 Sqn, and personal preference!  I googled and brought some A4 Decal transfer paper, printed them out, but I think my printer does not put down a thick enough coating as when I put them on the model the paint showed through so had to put 3 on top of each other.  Hopefully someone on here knows a better way???  The in flight one I'm building going to follow advice on here and put a gloss coat on before decals

Dave

First off - really nice Jag. The kit is not the friendliest and filler is definitely required. You said you had issues with the filler, did you sand it or remove excess with a damp cotton bud etc before it dried? The latter can be a life saver.

As for decal printing - did you use transparent sheets? They can be exactly as you described your experience. White stuff can be a lot better but obviously requires some very careful cutting out.  I feel your pain there as I want some Typhoon Ii (Ac) sqn markings and the printer is my only hope...

Top work, though. If you fancy a really serious Jag challenge, check out the Kittyhawk offering.... 😉

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2023 at 21:38, RMP2 said:

First off - really nice Jag. The kit is not the friendliest and filler is definitely required. You said you had issues with the filler, did you sand it or remove excess with a damp cotton bud etc before it dried? The latter can be a life saver.

As for decal printing - did you use transparent sheets? They can be exactly as you described your experience. White stuff can be a lot better but obviously requires some very careful cutting out.  I feel your pain there as I want some Typhoon Ii (Ac) sqn markings and the printer is my only hope...

Top work, though. If you fancy a really serious Jag challenge, check out the Kittyhawk offering.... 😉

Hi Thanks for the great comments.  It was transparent decal sheets.  For my second AAR Jaguar I tried as recommended, I sprayed the decal and model with gloss varnish and they seemed to come out better!!  II(ac) no surely has to be a 41 seek and destroy.  If the kittyhawk is a T-Bird I might be tempted.  The filler issue is that the Vallejo acrylic dried slowly but didn't bond to the model and came out if sanded

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BertieBox said:

Hi Thanks for the great comments.  It was transparent decal sheets.  For my second AAR Jaguar I tried as recommended, I sprayed the decal and model with gloss varnish and they seemed to come out better!!  II(ac) no surely has to be a 41 seek and destroy.  If the kittyhawk is a T-Bird I might be tempted.  The filler issue is that the Vallejo acrylic dried slowly but didn't bond to the model and came out if sanded

There is a T Bird from Kittyhawk, but the company has gone under, so you might want to grab one while you can as they will soon be extremely rare as per their GR offering

18 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Great job with a challenging kit, for sure. The posing of the pilot is inspirational.

Well Done, Sir !

Thanks, it was difficult.  After my first model I thought adding the Pilot changes the view point

Considering the pain you went through to get this finished, I think you've ended up with a pretty good result! I've just posted a "ready for inspection" myself - a 1/48 P40 Warhawk, which I built specifically to run through tips and tricks for beginners for a series of youtube videos...

modelmate's model tips - YouTube

I'm normally to be found in the armour section, but it was fun doing a back-to-basics aeroplane.

oops - link doesn't appear to have been embedded....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR80H15e6Cvyj5ZDPl3ljKWfT2P3a-Uml

On 07/06/2023 at 15:50, Model Mate said:

Considering the pain you went through to get this finished, I think you've ended up with a pretty good result! I've just posted a "ready for inspection" myself - a 1/48 P40 Warhawk, which I built specifically to run through tips and tricks for beginners for a series of youtube videos...

modelmate's model tips - YouTube

I'm normally to be found in the armour section, but it was fun doing a back-to-basics aeroplane.

oops - link doesn't appear to have been embedded....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR80H15e6Cvyj5ZDPl3ljKWfT2P3a-Uml

Hi 

Thanks for the great comments, much appreciated the link as there is a lot there to help a newbie like myself, all explained in a simple to follow video's - if there's a self help section here they'd be great on there to help others.

Dave