Gloster Sea Gladiator

Heather Kay

I find I have acquired another Airfix 1/72nd Gladiator kit, and I feel I should be able to make the minor modifications to it so I can make a Sea Gladiator for my FAA 1940 collection.

My understanding is the Sea Glad carried a life raft in a bulged fairing under the fuselage between the undercarriage legs, and was fitted with an arrestor hook. That sounds reasonably achievable as a conversion, paint and markings aside.

While I could make things up and bodge these parts for such a relatively small model, it's nicer if I can get it more or less correct. May I make so bold to ask that if you have a Sea Gladiator model (of any scale) would you be able to provide me with measurements and dimensions to locate the hook and raft fairing? Pointers to clear photos would also be nice.

There's no rush for any of this. I just like to let my mind wander over potential builds, and get research and aftermarket bits and bobs arranged some time in advance. Thanks ever so much.

Heather,

will this help: https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjM3rmOrNH8AhW3xgIHHcvNDyMQFnoECCsQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roden.eu%2FHTML%2F405.html&usg=AOvVaw0nwpeqgHac0F5xBpkIBife

Also found this:

Sea Gladiator InterimSingle-seat fighter biplane for the Royal Navy, 38 modified Gladiator II. Fitted with arrestor hooks. Serial numbers: N2265 – N2302

Sea GladiatorSingle-seat fighter biplane for the Royal Navy, 60 built. Fitted with arrestor hook and provision for dinghy stowage. Serial numbers: N5500 – N5549 and N5565 – N5574.

Edited by RAF4EVER

The old Squadron/signal publication “Gloster Gladiator in action” has some drawings of the life raft fairing and arrestor hook, though not to a declared scale.  Would need a bit of arithmetic to produce dimensions to 1/72 !
Also a good photo of the underside of the Sea Gladiator clearly showing these bits.

If nothing better turns up, I’m sure we can sort something out for you.

Dave

I *think* I have the relevant resin part from a Pavla Sea Glad conversion kicking around somewhere, I didn't use it as I was modelling N5520 "Faith" and my research suggested the RAF on Malta thoroughly denavalised F, H and C to improve performance. Anyway, if I can find it, it's yours!

(of course, whether it's dimensionally correct is another matter entirely!)

2 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

If nothing better turns up, I’m sure we can sort something out for you.

Dave, many thanks for that. 

1 hour ago, Vulcanicity said:

I *think* I have the relevant resin part from a Pavla Sea Glad conversion kicking around somewhere

Ooh, that’s interesting. Thank you. As I said, I’m not in a huge rush right now, but if you turn it up at some point, do let me know. 

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

There is also this

Cheers Ed! Currently out of stock, but I’ll follow things up in a bit.

:like:

7 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I

My understanding is the Sea Glad carried a life raft in a bulged fairing under the fuselage between the undercarriage legs, and was fitted with an arrestor hook. That sounds reasonably achievable as a conversion, paint and markings aside

At alternative would be to model a Sea Gladiator (Interim). These rarely had a dinghy pack and the arrestor hook was not recessed, but carried externally. So the conversion would only need a hook. In 1940 FAA squadrons  (804 in particular) had  as many Interims as Sea Gladiators. Interims carried serials in the N22xxx range rather than N55xx range.

• Like 6

The book Fleet Air Arm Camouflage and Markings - Atlantic and Meditteranean Theaters 1937-1941, by Stuart Lloyd, is excellent. It has the most photos of Sea Gladiators in one place that I've ever seen, and extremely detailed info on camo/markings changes over time.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 1:01 AM, MDriskill said:

The book Fleet Air Arm Camouflage and Markings - Atlantic and Meditteranean Theaters 1937-1941, by Stuart Lloyd, is excellent. It has the most photos of Sea Gladiators in one place that I've ever seen, and extremely detailed info on camo/markings changes over time.

Why is it that people always have to post about excellent books I was not aware of but need to have...😋

Ordered.

• Haha 2