Getting Back Closer to Being Back: 1/48 Tamiya ME 109

Here is my second real build to try and get some sort of semblance to what I used to be able to do with kits.  Granted, my skill level is nowhere near the masterpieces I see on this site.  I am more the journeyman type of builder.  It looks somewhat like it is supposed to but it ain’t gonna win any beauty contests.  This is the old version of a 1/48 Tamiya ME 109 I had in the stash.  I have the new tool version but thought this would be a good kit to practice on.  It is OOB with the only modifications being the gun barrels were drilled out.  I am somewhat happy with it. (Mainly because with the canopy closed you really cannot see how poorly I did the cockpit!!)  I was a little heavy handed with the weathering, especially on the bottom.

spacer.png      spacer.png  spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

My next project is another 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire which is in the beginning stages. 

spacer.png

From my work bench, it looks like I should know what I am doing!!!!  However, the picture does show my shame of the 1/24 Trumpeter ME 109 and 1/32 Trumpeter Avenger that have long stalled, and I am working back to restarting.

spacer.png

Before I started the Seiran and ME 109, I took out my building ineptness on the 1/72 PM “Bagdad Fury” and Revell’s Fw TL-Jager “Flitzer”.  Do not be too harsh with the really poor painting, especially on the Fury.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Finally, this morning one of the horses got spooked as I was feeding him a treat (German Horse Biscuits or as I call them “horse crack”).  He mistook my little finger for the treat.  Normally, I always wear leather gloves when working with the animals on the ranch.  This one time I didn’t bother.  Should have known.  So, I will let you know how much modeling is done using the little finger.

spacer.png

• Like 23
  • Sad 1

George, don't knock yourself down! The important thing is, you are back at the modelling desk.

It's a steep learning curve and you're coming back from the abyss. Do whatever makes you happy.

The ones above are good, your next one (finger permitting) will be better, and so on. 

Just keep them coming, wear gloves when you must, and stay in touch. It's great to have you back.

Looking forward to those two large scale ones. BTW I just remembered when someones kid took your Stuka for a flight :sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

George, don't knock yourself down! The important thing is, you are back at the modelling desk.

It's a steep learning curve and you're coming back from the abyss. Do whatever makes you happy.

The ones above are good, your next one (finger permitting) will be better, and so on. 

Just keep them coming, wear gloves when you must, and stay in touch. It's great to have you back.

Looking forward to those two large scale ones. BTW I just remembered when someones kid took your Stuka for a flight :sad:

I still have not gotten over that and the audacity of a parent thinking a model airplane on a shelf too high for a child to get by themselves would be a good play toy while they wait to see me.  I really should have charged them a higher legal fee to include its destruction.  I was really proud of that build.  I have a replacement in the stash, just haven't got the gumption to have a go at it.   Thank you for the kind words Pete.  Also, I'm hoping to be able to put gloves back on within the next few days.  Typing is a new experience though with only 4 operable fingers on the left hand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice work George.

The Tamiya kit is IMHO still the nicest E out there in terms of ease of build. 

Ouch! That finger looks nasty. 

James. 

Thanks James.  I agree the Tamiya kit is very nice and was chosen for the easy build.  I look forward to doing their new tool kit in the future.

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

I like your Fury and Flitzer, keep ‘em coming !

Wulfman

These two kits were sacrifices to not having built anything for about 4 or 5 years.  And it shows.  Thanks for looking

• Like 1

George l don’t know your backstory but l am glad to see you enjoying building models again, l love your work area, great space!

keep going because l love what you are doing.

all the best, Farmerboy.

3 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

George l don’t know your backstory but l am glad to see you enjoying building models again, l love your work area, great space!

keep going because l love what you are doing.

all the best, Farmerboy.

Thanks.  I got sidelined when I lost all feeling in my hands due to some back complications.  Multiple surgeries on the back, an ankle replacement thrown in for good measure with a tiny bit of cancer treatment rounded out the MIA from modeling.  Also, had some cataracts surgery so that should help with the modeling aspect now, although my excuse for not being able to see the fine details or parts has been shot down!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wlad said:

George, it's great to see you back. @Pete in Lincs said it. Enjoy the hobby. You are improving, and as long as you're having fun, keep at it. 

Onwards and upwards.

Wlad

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  It is frustrating sometimes when I know I have done better, but just cannot figure out what I did that worked.  Especially on the painting/weathering side.  But, I did miss the relaxing effect just losing yourself in a build and discover the 15 minutes you set aside for a quick go at the current kit has just ended in a 2 hour session because you just could not stop.

• Like 1

She looks very much an Emil, after a stretch on a muddy airstrip in Russia in the spring of -42!

Good to see you back at the workbench!

I recall an incident that I had with a scalpel some years back. I was sitting at the bench, whittling down some seams with a brand new blade in my Swann Morton handle.

I remember that I was ruminating on my good luck, having spent so many years working with scalpels, and never got so much as a scratch. In that moment, I lost my grip on the handle and like a fool, I tried to catch it by pressing my legs together.

There was a sharp pain in my right calf and, looking down, I saw that I'd had managed to stop the scalpel before it hit the floor. There it was in my lower leg, sticking out like a frigging Indian arrow!

On the positive side, it might had fallen closer to the body and then, well…

Nice Messerschmitt! Good luck with the next one!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

14 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  It is frustrating sometimes when I know I have done better, but just cannot figure out what I did that worked.  Especially on the painting/weathering side.  But, I did miss the relaxing effect just losing yourself in a build and discover the 15 minutes you set aside for a quick go at the current kit has just ended in a 2 hour session because you just could not stop.

You're welcome. I've started keeping notes of what worked and what didn't. Then I can refer back because my time at the bench can be months in between, and there is no way I'll remember before making the same mistake. I keep a binder with the A to Z tabs in it. First page is an index from A to Z of topics. Then I add pages and notes as needed. Simple, low tech, easy maintenance. I got a list of paints, with notes on them (e.g. going goopy, good for spraying, needs straining) in there, along with what's in the stash, airbrushing tips from Model Paint Solutions. All useful stuff.

Take care,

Wlad

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

She looks very much an Emil, after a stretch on a muddy airstrip in Russia in the spring of -42!

Good to see you back at the workbench!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim,

Thanks for the kind words on a slightly acceptable build.  I truly emphasize with your scalpel story and am sorry your luck ran out with your save.  I can't count the number of times a scalpel or modeling knife has dropped off of the work bench and instinctively I try to catch it by closing my legs upon it.  How I have avoided one of the knives/scalpels not ending up being imbedded in my legs I don't know.  I am very sorry about your leg.  Hope it didn't result in stitches.  Also, I have always appreciated your comments on my builds and have taken some steps to correct items you have pointed out.  Thank you.

10 hours ago, Wlad said:

You're welcome. I've started keeping notes of what worked and what didn't. Then I can refer back because my time at the bench can be months in between, and there is no way I'll remember before making the same mistake. I keep a binder with the A to Z tabs in it. First page is an index from A to Z of topics. Then I add pages and notes as needed. Simple, low tech, easy maintenance. I got a list of paints, with notes on them (e.g. going goopy, good for spraying, needs straining) in there, along with what's in the stash, airbrushing tips from Model Paint Solutions. All useful stuff.

This is a great idea and so simple and apparent as to what to do to solve a multitude of problems I have with multiple builds sitting before me and I will have to research each to figure out what is left, what I had planned to do, and where to begin again.  I will incorporate this into my modeling regime.  Thanks.

I'm a bit late to the party on the finger biting, but :puke: to that.  Looks like it almost needs stitches, although by now it might be a bit late.

Considering what you've been through (as discussed briefly on my Vengeance thread), I'm amazed you've been able to get anything done! :shocked: Keep going, and tell anyone that asks that it's therapy.  Still probably not as expensive as actual therapy, so it can't be bad ;)

• Like 2

Funny!  I also have a horse farm and have many german horses we have imported...  I am very familliar with horse crack!  Mine dont bite.  Feed with a flat hand!

Nice job on the 109!  Now try one of the modern Tamiya kits like the Bf109G or the new P-38 in 1/48!  These are great kits and really helped my skills!  Take care of the horses...

6 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Funny!  I also have a horse farm and have many german horses we have imported...  I am very familliar with horse crack!  Mine dont bite.  Feed with a flat hand!

Nice job on the 109!  Now try one of the modern Tamiya kits like the Bf109G or the new P-38 in 1/48!  These are great kits and really helped my skills!  Take care of the horses...

Normally, I always have leather gloves on as when I don't bad things happen.  The horse was just spooked by another horse and tried to eat on the run and nipped the end of

my flat hand.  It's my fault for not wearing my gloves.

SWMBO got her dream horse less than a year ago, a Friesian,  All the rest are Quarter Horses with the lone retired Percheron police horse.  What do you have?

I do have both kits you mentioned in the stash.  Just need to brush up a little more before I start them.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Considering what you've been through (as discussed briefly on my Vengeance thread), I'm amazed you've been able to get anything done! :shocked: Keep going, and tell anyone that asks that it's therapy.  Still probably not as expensive as actual therapy, so it can't be bad ;)

I'm not quite sure SWMBO would agree about less expensive.  She saw the invoice statement for the 2 Zoukei-Mura kits that arrived last month!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have two dutch warmbloods, two holsteiners and an oldenberg.  All are geldings.  Clients have a mix of warmbloods and Tbreds.

I got back into modelling a few years ago and high quality tamiya kits really helped me!

17 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

We have two dutch warmbloods, two holsteiners and an oldenberg.  All are geldings.  Clients have a mix of warmbloods and Tbreds.

I am sorta familiar with the above breeds as they are similar to our Percheron in size.  I do know they have some breeding restrictions.  We have eight horses total, 6 geldings and 2 mares, plus a couple of Mammoth donkeys to protect the cattle from coyotes.

I purposely chose Tamiya kits to use to get back in the groove of modeling because they are described as "shake & bake" kits.  Right now, that is helpful and allows me to enter back into the habit before I have to deal with kits that are a bit more challenging to build.  I have not yet determined which kit I will start for a WIP, but it will probably not be a Tamiya and it will be at least a 1/32 kit.

Our Jumpers are about 16.1 hands high, and the hunters and derby horses are 17.2 hands high.  They are big boys.  All our horses are sporthorses and compete, and do rather well...

I started back in 1/48 with the tamiya ki61.  Its a great kit, tgen the bf109g, and spit mk1.  All great tamiya kits and give opportunity to try new skills.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...