Airfix's 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia GRoU

Sturmovik

Hello guys,

My newest kit has finally arrived after four days of waiting. 

I decided to buy this kit because I previously had bought the Airfix 72nd Ju 87B-1, and painted it as a Battle of France aircraft. This one will be the same.

I'll be building this one as an out of the box aircraft.

I'll upload more photos later today.

yJEwmwY.jpeg

2QY0s0Z.jpeg

• Like 5

Working in 72nd is a now lost art for me. Gone are the days in which I was able to build a 72nd 109 without having my fingers get in the way. Guess I'll stick to 48 and 32nd from now on (unless I get the Strike Witches aircraft, which are in 72nd).

Here's the airframe completed. The only area that needed filler was in front of the instrument panel, which was filled with CA glue.

WTn1adz.jpeg

Dark Earth painted.

R9Pqs5P.jpeg

Dark green painted.

w7XQ47C.jpeg

Black and White undersides with the red tape for the machineguns painted.

KkVH7tW.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Working in 72nd is a now lost art for me. Gone are the days in which I was able to build a 72nd 109 without having my fingers get in the way. Guess I'll stick to 48 and 32nd from now on (unless I get the Strike Witches aircraft, which are in 72nd).

I've never understood this, at least since the last century when 1/48 kits had the same number of parts as 1/72, but larger.  Nowadays they have many more parts, and the smallest parts in a 1/48 kit are the same size as those in a 1/72.  I have to admit excluding a few new 1/72 kits whose designers seem intent on not producing any part not needing a jeweller's loupe, but this is not specific to a single scale.  I'm actually working on more 1/144 kits  than ever before.  I do admit having to tear my hair out at Flyhawk's 1/700 ships, but I haven't given up yet.

My eyesight is no better than it was, and my fingers are indeed clumsier, but I still don't see how changing scales would make either better. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

still don't see how changing scales would make either better. 

Must be me and thinking 1:48 has slightly bigger parts. Also because they look more imposing that a 72nd fighter.

On 27/02/2022 at 23:52, Sturmovik said:

unless I get the Strike Witches aircraft, which are in 72nd

If you are talking about the ICM Po-2, you will find a whole new standard of smallness! Beautiful kit but goodness me it had some tiny tiny parts.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Some more progress. I've added the excellent Cartograf decals. They sunk into the panel lines almost instantly, but I brushed some Microsol to make them conform into the bumps of the wings.

I've also forgotten to take photos of the aircraft upaide down with the landing gear installed.

imZQZpz.jpeg

gZN7iCy.jpeg

jYq6a24.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

If you are talking about the ICM Po-2, you will find a whole new standard of smallness! Beautiful kit but goodness me it had some tiny tiny parts.

Not got that one to compare. but look in any Flyhawk kit of a British destroyer.  Individual depth charges in 1/700, and as for the finer rails... getting them off the runner without breaking is going to be master modelling iiself.