Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc 1:48 Hasegawa

Kriss

While doing further cleaning I came across a Hurricane Mk. II D from Hasegawa and after checking the contents of the bag because the box was gone, it turned out that the hanging cannons were missing. I already had a few extras purchased for the model, but not being able to make a "D" version I decided to take a look at the documentation I had and see what extras were in stores. I was interested in the offer from Montex-mask in which I found an interesting camouflage option for the "C" version so it will be created from this set. Originally it was supposed to be Hurrican Mk. II B from Polish Squadron and for it I had bought tracing paper from SP-DECAL, unfortunately life verified this idea. And to complete my happiness, I bought to the as-is condition in a pouch:

- montex-mask K48257

- masks from AMLM 49031

- barrels from Master AM-48-085

- board from Yahu Models A4807

And in the found model bag I already had:

- CMK No. 4011

- CMK No. 4012

- AIRES 4478

- EDUARD 49536

- QUICKBOOST QB 48 066

I'll see what comes out of it, a lot of extras so it will be a lot of fun too.

s9EqAZL.jpg

Yt9yL9u.jpg

QLdY0tB.jpg

9xftCtb.jpg

JDpJFbi.jpg

• Like 3

Before I start building any model I make a plan to work on it and depending on it I either do it straight out of the box or add something to it. But without a work plan, you're not going anywhere. And here I adopted the concept to swing out all the control surfaces and flaps. So before starting to build the cabin and everything in the fuselage as is my custom here I first started with the cutting and trimming.

1BLn7JZ.jpg

14Eblwu.jpg

• Like 4

Now it was time for the interior of the cabin. I used a board from YAHU, it looked the best of what I had to use. CMK was to be painted and from EDUARD painted and only to be put together. However, the look of the board from YAHU was definitely the best even though it was finished. I also made a new pilot's seat out of tin and a few trinkets. So that the rest of the cabin is also prepared for painting.

gDLeOQJ.jpg

VvJsOGo.jpg

• Like 8

Cockpit interior done, straps are already laid on the seat. Now all that is left to do is to polish it and put on the signs of use. And with that, I have a finished interior.

qZTxFBO.jpg

CKKDIo8.jpg

Z08WI9u.jpg

• Like 7

I replaced the interior of the chassis compartment with resin and completed it with sheet metal . Here it is not yet complete and not glued into the wing. A little more sanding and everything will fit as it should.

IbdK9wh.jpg

• Like 6

Pace continues, the fuselage is already closed as well as the wings and now it remains to put everything together. And this is where this little problem jumped out at me, the resin doesn't fit. The rudder is too small and you can clearly see it, so the decision was made to reinstall the plastic one cut from the model and so I did. Ailerons and here the same thing is missing 3mm in length, this is also visible, so again I used the ailerons cut from the model by gluing pieces of plastic into them to give them the right shape. The photo still shows everything in loose parts.

xmNsXsZ.jpg

• Like 7

I managed to put everything together and it's ready for the primer. Additionally, I replaced the cab cover on the vacu. With so much going into the cabin, it would be a shame not to make it open. I had to do something with the windscreen too as the vacu didn't fit and I used the front windscreen from the kit and the movable part of the cabin cover from the vacu. Apart from the model itself I made all the other parts to be painted with primer.

rTuG0xE.jpg

GE1vmlh.jpg

ym9BKSe.jpg

• Like 5

I've already painted the bottom and it's ready, and masked it off before further painting.

Ang3hJ6.jpg

By the way I also masked the interior of the cabin, if it goes well I may be able to put another camouflage color today.

F2PT9m6.jpg

• Like 4

Hi-yer Kriss some where in this world……..

I haven’t seen any one talking about the less than tought fabric skinning on the rear fuselage. I was just wondering if this is something you’d thought about tackling? Only asking as it’s been a concern for modellers over the years.  🤔

• Like 1

Hi! amos brierley
My English is very poor and I'm writing through a translator and so I'm really begging you to write me a more simple question. Because I understood that it is about restoring the canvas covering of the rear part of fuselage? I putty such places and shape them with files and then polish them with abrasive sponges of various gradations. Is that what you meant?

Another camouflage color applied and in order not to mess around with camouflage stains I applied masks to them for the first time. AML did a really good job, the masks fit very well and the shape of the camouflage patches is correct. The only thing that needed improvement was making notches on the mask in places of bubbles / bulges on the model which I masked with Tamiya tape and maskol.  In the rounded areas where the mask may not adhere or may have a tendency to peel off (it happens to me during painting) I also used Tamiya tape to glue the mask to the model.

axPHwTv.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks to the mask the camouflage was done in a very short time. The only drawback is that I didn't pay attention to the plate and that's where the paint came off, fortunately only in the recesses of the flaps and on the right wing. So the corrections will not be visible. And the masks will be permanently in my workshop.

hU6CHwI.jpg

iP2kj8K.jpg

• Like 6

A series of photos of painting with masks from the kit as well as the strip on the fuselage made with tape. The masks did not fit well on the canvas surfaces and next time I will replace them with the ones I made myself using tape. Now all I have to do is to lay the tracing paper and put everything together. 

K0YOtSC.jpg

mEww0FP.jpg

SpC5S2y.jpg

dmPRXmW.jpg

Xzfzgex.jpg

HLyo0qN.jpg

QW0vFVJ.jpg

FRQ3k9S.jpg

VEbGVyY.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Kriss said:

A series of photos of painting with masks from the kit as well as the strip on the fuselage made with tape. The masks did not fit well on the canvas surfaces and next time I will replace them with the ones I made myself using tape. Now all I have to do is to lay the tracing paper and put everything together. 

FRQ3k9S.jpg

upperwing is  too far out. 

Roundel centre is 80 inch in from wing tip (80x25.4/48 = 42.3 mm in 1/48)

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

from

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Hawker-Hurricane

Mk.I, place same on all marks

47704913392_b55aea257a_b.jpg85 Squadron 12 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

VEbGVyY.jpg

B/W images of the Sq show the codes to be a different tone, but the codes are unit applied,  and the spinner and band done at the factory.  This can cause variations in appearance,  but stipulated colour for squadron codes is Sky.

http://armahobbynews.pl/wp-content/uploads/309-66.jpg

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/309/309Hurribomber.jpg

But, the codes can look quite different, either from application, different paint batches, or even just not being very well stirred .  here's an example

woodhouse37-1.jpg

"But they are also Sky,  confirmed  by the noted Typhoon and Tempest author/researcher. 

On 14/05/2011 at 16:30, Chris Thomas said:

I have had the chance to examine this relic at close quarters several times over the last 20 years and I can assure you that the code letters are Sky.

On 14/05/2011 at 20:49, Chris Thomas said:

The Sky band would have been factory applied and the unit codes would have been applied by the unit (or its servicing echelon), at Eindhoven in this case.

see 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70201-tempest-ej693-medium-sea-grey-squadron-codes/

HTH

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

upperwing is  too far out. 

Roundel centre is 80 inch in from wing tip (80x25.4/48 = 42.3 mm in 1/48)

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

from

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Hawker-Hurricane

Mk.I, place same on all marks

47704913392_b55aea257a_b.jpg85 Squadron 12 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

VEbGVyY.jpg

B/W images of the Sq show the codes to be a different tone, but the codes are unit applied,  and the spinner and band done at the factory.  This can cause variations in appearance,  but stipulated colour for squadron codes is Sky.

http://armahobbynews.pl/wp-content/uploads/309-66.jpg

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/309/309Hurribomber.jpg

But, the codes can look quite different, either from application, different paint batches, or even just not being very well stirred .  here's an example

woodhouse37-1.jpg

"But they are also Sky,  confirmed  by the noted Typhoon and Tempest author/researcher. 

see 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70201-tempest-ej693-medium-sea-grey-squadron-codes/

HTH

Do you know you can't receive PM's Troy????

Cheers S

• Like 1