Last Legs Ponies: P-51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts (and other American WWII fighters) around the Caribbean

I was away in the Caribbean for a few weeks--lots of countries, but no where I'm modeling a last legs pony from (although I did learn there were P-39s stationed in St Lucia...). Back at the bench and all I've done on this project is more prop work... these are all getting close, just a little more yellow here and there, I think.

y4mstyrOvyjY34okpDlp_EFUD1tYZqz_ypBKL3pj

I'm trying to decide how I want to proceed with the Haiti P-51 as the next one up. This is the version (more or less) the Aztec decals want me to model:

y4maaGButi40IE8LCMyy1HGUlkSp7gOmONczFs2Y

y4m2B-WmpfWoqhOtUFZ9Qo0qJ2fFs43IAXA9cC0-

But I don't have those drop tanks or antenna (nor do I want to procure them), so I am thinking I might do something in the scheme above (I like the "arctic grey" and red spinner) but looking more like the one below (with the whip antenna and drop tank racks).

y4ml52bx_VgWzf3ZM3ur8Up7shZKFqGhg-cHxUFhy4mGL8B6mpv-nUxD2Vt8TGB0MF6JfaRbJRY8M8NP

• Like 6

The drop tanks are from an F-86.  Probably someone around who has an extra set.

Here is a build from this forum.

I think the other one in the pics is an earlier version and probably done in NMF (natural metal finish) instead of the grey.

http://www.wardrawings.be/Modern/Site/Air/Haiti/Fighters/Others/P-51D.htm

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 11:03 PM, philp said:

The drop tanks are from an F-86.  Probably someone around who has an extra set.

I'm still not worried about adding the tanks, but as I've thought about it I wouldn't mind trying to figure out that ADF antenna...

So, I've deferred the decision and boxed up Haiti again and decided to work on Dominican Republic (Tamiya) instead. Some of the DR versions have that same ADF antenna, but the one I'm building doesn't seem to have any antenna at all. 

y4m2PD83mFXFMXWRsIJvAXYwjOUhYSgPkI7_8rCU

Airfix wants the underside to be white, and I know in many of the photographs the DR undersides do look white, but somehow I just feel skeptical about it. Plus, I don't like painting white! So, I'm opting for light grey a la the "camouflage grey" used by the USAF in South East Asia. Here she is after the first two coats.

y4mwLBGp8tfdZZ-IgHxppVnBUCptUP053oWV4jOV

I intend to use this same grey (Tamiya XF-19) for the underside of Guatemala as well.

• Like 4

Actually they both have antenna’s but they're cable type from forward top of stab to where the vertical blade would mount on fuselage. They're very faint but Ive blown the photo up and circled them. 1ACZEvK.jpg

More obvious in the background Mustang. However in the closer on you can make out a bit of wire just in front of the vertical. Then just above the fuselage below the wing of the second mustang. My apologies if this messes you up. If you have the academy T-6 that may have the ADF antenna you need ? If not I will see if I have on in my parts department. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

Indeed, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, nice catch! Still, if it can be barely seen in a photo I'm inclined to leave it off in 1/72 scale... I have not successfully modeled antenna wires ever before.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you have the academy T-6 that may have the ADF antenna you need ?

Nope, no T-6 kits around here...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

if it can be barely seen in a photo I'm inclined to leave it off in 1/72 scale... I have not successfully modeled antenna wires ever before.

And now you know why I never do antennas. Between the fact there are few products that can correctly get the look right. Also theyre massive dust collector's so almost not worth it at this scale. When I was competing I dreaded adding them. Let me look through my stuff, if I can find an antenna I will let you know. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Also theyre massive dust collector's so almost not worth it at this scale. 

I never got far enough to know about the dust collection, but glad you're affirming my decision!

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Let me look through my stuff, if I can find an antenna I will let you know. 

That would be great if you do! I haven't found anything aftermarket, but I assume there are some out there...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Actually they both have antenna’s but they're cable type from forward top of stab to where the vertical blade would mount on fuselage. They're very faint but Ive blown the photo up and circled them. 1ACZEvK.jpg

More obvious in the background Mustang. However in the closer on you can make out a bit of wire just in front of the vertical. Then just above the fuselage below the wing of the second mustang. My apologies if this messes you up. If you have the academy T-6 that may have the ADF antenna you need ? If not I will see if I have on in my parts department. 

Not sure if this has been noted already. If you look carefully at this picture there's two greens on this plane and of course the tan. I believe these are the same greens and tan as the American SEA scheme. They look a dead nuts match. The underside would likely be light grey. It looks almost white in most photos because it's very light and the high contrast to the greens. 

Edited by Mycapt65
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you have anything else you might need let me know. Ive got a pretty big stash and parts dept. Send me a list and I will look for stuff. If Its there and I wont need in the next year we can figure this out. 

Very generous offer! I'll give it some thought and let you know what's on my "shopping list," thanks!

13 hours ago, Mycapt65 said:

there's two greens

Interesting observation! I'll need to research more before I begin the green--I assumed Airfix was right that I was dealing with just one!

• Like 2

I've done a lot more Dominican Republic camo research (this video was helpful, as toward the latter half it has shots of photos out of a great book).

I see what @Mycapt65 is saying about two greens in the photo, but I don't believe the Dominican camo colours were completely consistent, and I think in many (most?) cases they just used one shade of green. My guess is perhaps it was all originally based on USAF SEA scheme, but evolved with time and availability of paint locally? We are talking about decades of service here, so I would think some change should be expected.  Regardless,, I'll proceed with a single green, and I think I'm happy enough with the green I've picked out. I am less sure about the tan, however. This is MMP-038, and I am going back and forth between thinking it is too light and feeling "it will do." I'll probably do another coat and put some green on and decide then.

y4m_YzLFznetaaJ2GvfTSXXyXDDKkD0WtzXD_Wmt

• Like 6

There's undoubtedly two greens in the plane in the foreground of that picture. It's a good quality picture and it's easily picked out. The aircraft behind it looks it might have a single green. It's the darker of the two. It's your build make it the way you want to. 

Edited by Mycapt65
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mycapt65 said:

There's undoubtedly two greens in that picture. It's a good quality picture and it's easily picked out. It's your build make it the way you want to. 

Oh totally agree! I too see two shades on that port wing at minimum. All I'm saying is I don't see the two green shade consistently as I look at all the photos I've been able to find.

3 minutes ago, Mycapt65 said:

The colors whether locally sourced or not are a dead ringer for the US SEA colors. Skip the 34102 if you're going to do the single green 

34079 ("forest green") is your recommendation?

I decided to move on the from the light tan I was trying on Dominican Republic, and cycled down to the local hobby shop to pick up a bottle of Mission Models 60, Dark Tan FS 30219. I think it looks better, but I'll take a photo once I get a coat or two on.

Meanwhile, the P-51 wheels are all done and have some Pledge on before I apply some panel liner on the rims.

y4mGN6wi2bl472FuSzSxTmTYi7UVACOw5ck7GsHQ

P-47 wheels too:

y4mD9dXcEHUjpmwQCDqj9WE_TDmqJQ52uTSdT-8o

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Back to the Last Legs Ponies after too much time away... I need to get Guatemala's rudder done so that I don't have to leave the mask on any longer.

y4m0RLV26Ki289R9pDgpWT_nZTxe2iE5dF5f4xww

Will still need another coat or two of blue on that side... Meanwhile, back to Dominican Republic's rockets and a last coat of tan upper camo.

y4mojiMoFj9rVOR39niiwWdrq7P-sE3MGKRhW5Oo

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Masks of Guatemala's rudder... by ModelingEdmontonian standards this is actually pretty much success when it comes to masking. 🙄 🤷‍♂️

Not an easy thing to mask with all those indentations and definitely a success. Good job!

Craig. 

• Thanks 1

Great progress!

Regarding the wire antenna, it was for ferrying. 

These machines were a single green and tan uppers. The pattern varied hugely. 

Martin

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:45 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

although I did learn there were P-39s stationed in St Lucia...

Did anyone pick up that this comment might foreshadow an additional build? I am in Calgary for work this week, and I brought Dominican Republic along and a couple of paints and brushes so that I could still enjoy some evening modeling. Well, my time here got extended unexpectedly, and moreover I expect to be down here several more times over the next months, so I moseyed on over to the local model store. I was quite impressed and, of course, you can't just look, can you? I left with this:

y4mfESaKxCpEDNppKl8_hQGgshr4EQHSpGbpFEHe

And then ordered this decal set...

y4mPJifB_7GtiQozZhdyuqBGN8lRe6pLT6UsHzvm

...to allow me to model a Caribbean last legs... cobra? I realize 1942 is a bit out of the time period I was expecting to model, and US markings aren't exactly what I was going for, but the geography's right and no one can argue that the P-39 wasn't on its last legs even in 1942! Should be a fun build to start while in Calgary and we'll see how far it gets...

• Like 4