Last Legs Ponies: P-51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts (and other American WWII fighters) around the Caribbean

On 2/4/2023 at 1:34 PM, opus999 said:

BTW, I haven't forgotten.  I've taken it out of the cabinet and fixed the LG's last night.  I also had a fit of madness and used a spare part from the Arma kit for the nose guns.  It required me to take a Dremel grinder to the finished model, which was a bit heart-stopping to say the least.  I was able to get the part to fit, so it just needs a little putty and paint and it will be finished (again).  Details will be forthcoming.

No rush, nothing moving on the P-39... will look forward to hearing more, and some photos! Honestly the thought of installing the nose guns is partly contributing to me keeping her in the box, it will definitely be a "stretch assignment" for me...

Meanwhile, I took new RFI photos of Haiti yesterday and have an RFI posted now.

y4mURox-_pXOPIU-vZrovumzuPXtdwZE5dbfgArT

• Like 7

Just a bit more paintwork on Guatemala (Airfix P-51D) and I have the flaps on now. I'm really liking the scheme and how it's turning out. A bit more touch up to go and then will need a bunch of gloss clear coat sprays to seal it in--these MMP paints are very fragile and need a lot of protection. 

y4mCfYVGT8HI6zBvuXvcX14MQZEXvKkXy5RibdEd

• Like 8

The Guatemala scheme just keeps getting better and better! That's an absolute beauty, if I may say so. What a nuisance about the Mission paints, though - I bought a very few for a Tamiya A6M but never used them. I think I'd think twice now.....

My Aztec Decals 100 Hours' War set arrived today - they look lovely and the instructions are fantastic. Looking forward to using them!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Guatemala scheme just keeps getting better and better! That's an absolute beauty, if I may say so. 

Cheers!

What a nuisance about the Mission paints, though - I bought a very few for a Tamiya A6M but never used them. I think I'd think twice now.....

I'm so torn about them, because they are a joy to work with otherwise. They are a perfect paint for brushing, I love the colours, they seem to keep well, etc., etc. But, the fragility is a real issue, especially when it comes to decaling. And it's impossible to brush Pledge on to them--only a spray clear coat works.

My Aztec Decals 100 Hours' War set arrived today - they look lovely and the instructions are fantastic. Looking forward to using them!

Oh exciting! What are you planning to build? I've been so happy with the Aztec decals and research. Excited to see what you do with them.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I like that, what a super scheme that is. 

Steve.

Thanks, Steve!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Cheers!

Credit where credit is due! :)

37 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I'm so torn about them, because they are a joy to work with otherwise. They are a perfect paint for brushing, I love the colours, they seem to keep well, etc., etc. But, the fragility is a real issue, especially when it comes to decaling. And it's impossible to brush Pledge on to them--only a spray clear coat works.

Such a shame! I seem to recall spraying one coat on the Zero, then washing the model (it was probably dusty), just under the tap with some dish soap and the paint washing off. It had been on for a while, too.

40 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Oh exciting! What are you planning to build? I've been so happy with the Aztec decals and research. Excited to see what you do with them.

A Salvadoran Cavalier F-51D Mustang II, for definite. I might well do a standard F-51D as well. The Aztec sheet has got loads of great schemes so I can foresee a Honduran FG-1D as well :D

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 3:07 PM, 2996 Victor said:

A Salvadoran Cavalier F-51D Mustang II, for definite. I might well do a standard F-51D as well. The Aztec sheet has got loads of great schemes so I can foresee a Honduran FG-1D as well :D

I'm looking forward to all of these 😉

Meanwhile, I took advantage of a nice day to spray a gloss coat on Guatemala. There will still be some touching up, but I wanted to protect what I've done so far.

y4mVkVhfctXPw7In5iy56aybYBjY9dmuEtY6B7Dk

Then I flipped her over and applied the main decals to the under wings. I ruined the first G I tried, but luckily there were lots of spares on the Aztec sheet.

y4mnGEL09LJtxhZI_0NKa4dYIq88iGPCg90Q592y

• Like 10

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

They didn’t operate them, Mark. They operated -4 and -5/5N

My bad - -4/-5/-5N it will be :) Please excuse my ignorance and put it down to a lack of knowledge in a newbie to this particular subject!!!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I'm looking forward to all of these 😉

Thanks, ME, I'm thinking I might start one soon(ish!), not that I haven't got enough planes on the go already :D

Guatemala is looking fantastic with the decals going on. Shame about the "G" but a great save if I may say so.

I'm also beginning to think I'll need to do a Guatemalan Pony like yours - I'm loving the scheme, and I rather like those national markings too.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

My bad - -4/-5/-5N it will be :) Please excuse my ignorance and put it down to a lack of knowledge in a newbie to this particular subject!!!

Cheers,

Mark 

Not at all, Mark. I was perhaps too abrupt in my note. Sorry. The value of this forum is the learning experience. I do so happily every day! I find myself surrounded with like minded and well informed people with whom I enjoy every interaction. :)

Regarding the Honduran Corsairs the challenge is getting a reasonably accurate kit of either the -4 or -5. For the -1/FG-1 we are treated by the reasonably okay Tamiya but the later variants suffer from poorer representation, as far as I know. I am not an expert! I’d love a new design and mould of the Corsair family from someone like Arma Hobby :) 🤞It won’t happen (I say in provocation, hope it encourages them ;) ). Of course, we need the Arma Hobby F-51D first! :)

Martin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Not at all, Mark. I was perhaps too abrupt in my note. Sorry. The value of this forum is the learning experience. I do so happily every day! I find myself surrounded with like minded and well informed people with whom I enjoy every interaction. :)

No apologies needed, Martin - you're an acknowledged expert on this subject and you've done some pretty spectacular builds so, as someone who's new "here", if I'm veering off target I'm always happy for course corrections :) I can't begin to estimate how much I've learned since joining the forum - like you say, every day I learn something new. So, thank you!

As to the accuracy of available Corsair kits, that's still a bit of a closed book for me! I presumed the Tamiya kit was good, but perhaps it has its flaws? And, as you say, only covers the -1. The rest are presumably a bit of a curate's egg.

Incidentally, apart from the wheel well, I thought the Tamiya P-51D was a bit of a corker. Have Arma promised a "D"? If so, I missed the announcement. I'd definitely have to wait for that :D

EDIT

just found the Rumourmonger thread and Arma's own blog post -  don't know how that passed me by :facepalm: but that's fantastic news! I guess I'll be waiting after all :)

All the best,

Mark 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

you're an acknowledged expert on this subject and you've done some pretty spectacular builds

It’s kind of you to say, Mark, but a little overstated. I’ve had a personal interest in aviation since I was barely out of nappies but even so I find that I learn something new every day, especially from the combined collective on this forum. :) I am pleased, of course, that you like my builds. I try to being different, as I do with just about everything in life. There’s no fleece on me :). 

The Tamiya Corsair is pretty good. Like the Tamiya Mustang, though, it would have benefitted from separate flaps that can be dropped, as they generally were while at rest. Yes, there was a hint at a Arma Hobby D-model Mustang but nothing seems on the horizon :(. Why dont you like the Airfix kit?  It does, at least, have the correct wheel wells and droppable flaps! Like many Airfix kit, though, it has tramlines for panel lines!

If you do a Tamiya Mustang this might help:

Good luck with everything,

Martin

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It’s kind of you to say, Mark, but a little overstated. I’ve had a personal interest in aviation since I was barely out of nappies but even so I find that I learn something new every day, especially from the combined collective on this forum. :) I am pleased, of course, that you like my builds. I try to being different, as I do with just about everything in life. There’s no fleece on me :). 

Credit where its due! :) Your builds are excellent, no mistake.

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Why dont you like the Airfix kit?

I'm really not sure - yes, the panel lines are a bit excessive, and the plastic seems soft yet brittle, but there's nothing fundamental. But I just can't get on with it, and that's also true of Airfix's Spits and Hurricanes, too: I just can't get on with them. Bizarre, I know :( 

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

there was a hint at a Arma Hobby D-model Mustang but nothing seems on the horizon

I emailed them about it a week or so ago, so hopefully I might near back shortly!

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Another great build, if I may say so, and a very unusual subject. I did wonder while reading the thread if the two-tone camo was RNEIAF Jongblad/Oudblad, since its an ex-Dutch East Indies airframe. 

Thanks again, Martin!

Cheers,

Mark

PS apologies for the thread hijack, @ModelingEdmontonian 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, 2996 Victor said:

PS apologies for the thread hijack, @ModelingEdmontonian 

No need to apologize, any discussion of American WWII fighters ending their lives in Caribbean air forces fits right in! 😁

On 2/20/2023 at 12:43 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, there was a hint at a Arma Hobby D-model Mustang but nothing seems on the horizon :(.

They did delay release, but I don't think there's any doubt Arma's doing a P-51D, and I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a try!

On 2/20/2023 at 12:43 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Well, this pony isn't from the Caribbean, but she's a beauty, Martin!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a try!

Absolutely! Let's hope it's soon - probably right after my High Planes wheel bay inserts and flaps arrive.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not much has been happening at my modeling table for several weeks, as I was away and such, but I was back at Guatemala (Airfix P-51D) today. I think the camo is complete, and I started applying some decals up top. Rather than paint the walkway black, I'm using some black strip decals I bought, so I spent some time measuring and cutting those to size.

y4mztvlh6djKn7-ZOCjzhAqwzAd_BnjQFBiJe91P

Still lots to do on this one, so although in some ways she seems close to done, I imagine she'll still take at least several more days. Still, we're getting there! She's been underway for over a year now...

• Like 8

Decals done up top (with only minor damage to the paint work 🙄 even with many coats of clear gloss, the MMP paint remains fragile when exposed to moisture). The walkway black strip decal did not work as well as I would have liked, but with some paint it will do (don't compare the two sides too closely 😉).

y4mdgLvIvXyRlb_31RETN_RgZdgfcLHyFYX_dQ95

And, underneath, she has her pitot tube and UC all fitted.

y4m9tY5WPhBBEVlk0xuGEcc_GPQYhvYCNe3mx8Se

• Like 10

Beautiful! I just love that camouflage scheme.

Strange that the MMP paints have stayed so fragile, I guess I won't be using mine any time soon!

Come on Arma, get your P-51D/K released!!!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Thanks 1

Ok, they never quite turn out as perfect as you imagine, do they? Or, at least, they don't for me! But, I am still quite happy with Guatemala (Airfix P-51D), which I'm calling done! I did some inconsistent weathering, but ultimately I'm pretty happy with her as is and I'm not wanting to risk the paintwork up top anymore. I'll take some RFI pictures outside at some point, but here she is for now.

y4mHbPHT72wr-ua0JjMilEXo9eu2CXKCpuBxswVD

• Like 11