Last Legs Ponies: P-51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts (and other American WWII fighters) around the Caribbean

Coming along nicely!  I hope the weight is enough, but at least you're OK with a stand.

The Arma nose did have a lot more detail than the rest of the kit, which I'd thought about filling in, but since it is on a shelf and a dark color (and I felt as if I was treading on thin ice working on it post-completion), I let it be.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 7:45 PM, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Wow, this was an amazing and colorful catch up!  The Guatemalan P-51 looks ace and I am really looking forward to the P-39.  Th se builds are fascinating both from a historical and technique perspective.  Best, Erwin

Thanks, Erwin!

43 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Coming along nicely!  I hope the weight is enough, but at least you're OK with a stand.

I'm thinking of trying to add some weight to the drop tank too, but haven't fully thought that through yet.

I've started painting the P-39 wheel wells and underside. Had to cycle to find some neutral grey at my LHS before I could start on that.

y4mC5uJa5TYDxfMpDr0Qqps2cGNMN6ZEOJZbStiL

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I drilled a relatively large hole in the drop tank and set to work pouring liquid gravity inside.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63434&authk

Basically the hole is big enough for one little liquid gravity ball at a time--and I missed a lot as you can see! I've managed to get quite a number of the balls in, however, as well as some super glue and Mr Dissolved Putty. Even after all this my tests suggest the a/c is just balanced forward so I continue to lack confidence that I've solved this for sure! But, I'm moving on now with the paint scheme and we'll see where things are at when I get further along. Arma is really onto something with including those nose weights as part of their kit and solving the problem for you, eh?

• Like 5

On 6/17/2023 at 8:22 PM, marvinneko said:

That's a clever solution to a tricky problem. I suppose you could add some inside the front landing gear bay where no one would look.

23 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

That's my ultimate back up plan 😉

That's what I had to do in the end.  I had to remove all the plastic in there that was infrastructure for the spinning prop.  I also hollowed out the prop spinner and added weight there.  Sometimes if I'm right on the edge of tail sitting, sanding the rear tires a little flat can help, but it can look funny too, so proceed with caution!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 6:37 PM, opus999 said:

That looks really great so far!  I can't help but notice the nose guns on every P-39 I look at now! :D

Thanks @opus999!

USA (Hobby Boss P-39) continues to progress nicely! With the upper camo finished up, I got the decals on (not bothering with stencils), installed the exhaust stacks and drop tank, and painted the guns and pitot tube. One of the walkway black decals ripped on me and I had to use paint to get her all fixed up, but it worked out.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63535&authk

Then I installed the prop and spinner and, after a matt coat sprayed on the bottom, I painted on the navigation lights and what I assume must be an ID light of some sort under the port wing. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63544&authk

I'm not doing much weathering, but I "scratched up" some of the walkway black before spraying the matt coat on top.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63547&authk

Ok, so now as to the tail sitting... with everything nearly all assembled, it was still tail sitting. I was playing around, eventually exploring options of mounting it on a stand using magnets like I did with my Haitian P-51, and I realized the little magnets weigh quite a bit, and they also pick up some of my loose liquid gravity balls.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63546&authk

With these stuck in the wheel well (the liquid gravity above the wheel well "grabs" them nicely), I have her sitting properly. One of the magnets sticks out of the wheel well a bit, but that's fine with me! Just need to get the canopy finished up and installed and the navigation lights painted on the upper wings and she should be complete!

• Like 5

Nice P-39!

FWIW I've got a P-38 that is very marginal on balance and I'd run out of places to stuff weight, so to fix it I drilled a small hole in the mid-line of one of the main wheels at the back of the flat portion that touches the ground. Then I glued in a short, thin, stiff wire to act as a spur behind the wheel, running along the base line. This puts the balance point a few mm further back and is not very noticeable. It's like this:

IMG-6772.jpg

On another model just sanding in a flat on the tyre moved the rearmost contact point back by a couple of mm, and that was enough to tip the balance too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 8:30 PM, AdrianMF said:

Nice P-39!

FWIW I've got a P-38 that is very marginal on balance and I'd run out of places to stuff weight, so to fix it I drilled a small hole in the mid-line of one of the main wheels at the back of the flat portion that touches the ground. Then I glued in a short, thin, stiff wire to act as a spur behind the wheel, running along the base line. This puts the balance point a few mm further back and is not very noticeable. It's like this:

IMG-6772.jpg

On another model just sanding in a flat on the tyre moved the rearmost contact point back by a couple of mm, and that was enough to tip the balance too.

Regards,

Adrian

That's brilliant. Would never have thought of that. 

I think I'm all done now, just waiting for the Kristal Klear to dry on the canopy. Might have to touch up some paint after that. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63832&authk

• Like 8

On 7/11/2023 at 7:33 AM, marvinneko said:

FYI a darker shaded background will let your camera display your paint nicely vs compensating for all the white by dulling the colours.

Well, sort of tried this darker background thing... Not particularly happy with any of these photos either, but honestly it's not a special model so doesn't matter too much! I got sloppy with the canopy and my attempts at exhaust staining and paint chipping are mediocre, but I'm proud of her for the obstacles I overcame (mainly the lack of nose guns and tail sitting) and she'll do as another "last leg pony" in the Caribbean: Curacao/USA (Hobby Boss P-39) is all done.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63851&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63844&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63854&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63846&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63842&authk

This photo shows the extra magnet weight hanging out of the forward wheel well.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!63840&authk

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I'm proud of her for the obstacles I overcame (mainly the lack of nose guns and tail sitting)

Sounds like a win to me... especially for something called "FUBAR", which it is not in any way ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 7:46 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

but I'm proud of her for the obstacles I overcame (mainly the lack of nose guns and tail sitting)

As you should be! I think it turned out rather nicely!  I like the markings on it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Back to Last Legs Ponies, and Colombia (Tamiya P-47D) which I started in March 2022. This is where she's at now--cockpit, prop, and wheels done, but lots more to go.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!62163&authk

I'll finish her as part of the P-47 STGB, WIP linked here:

By the way, I don't think I ever said that Brazil (Academy P-47D), which I also began in this thread in March 2022, has been moved over to my Sexy American Singles project, and is well on its way to completion over there!

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64347&authk

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

As I was pulling out Colombia (Tamiya P-47D) for the P-47 GB, I also pulled out Mexico, Cuba, and Venezuela (all, more or less, Revell P-47s). The fuselages are together already, but there will be some seam work to do here.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64947&authk

Wings are not together yet, and I want to do a little more wheel well painting before I assemble these.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!64946&authk

These may get a little bit of work here or there as I work on Colombia, but Colombia will remain the priority.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Since the P-47 wings will be fitted-up in a variety of ways, it's becoming important to identify what wings below to which a/c. So, "C" for Cuba, "V" for Venezuela, and "M" for Mexico.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65106&authk

The gate placement on these wings and overall flashiness of two of these kits means there is some clean up to do, but I think I have all of the wing parts off the sprues now and cleaned up as necessary.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65108&authk

• Like 6

• ModelingEdmontonian changed the title to Last Legs Ponies: P-51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts (and other American WWII fighters) around the Caribbean

Alright, here we have the upper wing halves for Cuba, Mexico, and Venezuela (all, more or less, Revell P-47Ds). Wheel wells are painted now, and I found with a dry fit that the ejector slots needed some black behind them, so I added that.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65129&authk

For Venezuela I decided to try drilling out the ID lights, but I won't bother on the others--too much trouble.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65127&authk

Mexico won't have anything under the wings, so I needed to fill the pylon holes. I glued some sprue on the backside to fill against.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65131&authk

Wings are now together, and here is one of them. I have a lot of negative things to say about these kits, but the wing fit is pretty good.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65128&authk

One thing I'm trying to figure out now for all of these, plus Colombia, is what should the underside of the fuselage look like if I don't want to mount drop tanks? I was going to fill and sand it all flush here, but I'm not so sure about that. This is Colombia (Tamiya P-47D) and you can see the slit as well as one of the mounts slid in there. Will want to resolve this before I get too much further!

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65132&authk

• Like 7

Here are all of the P-47 wings, now assembled, including Colombia (Tamiya).

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65184&authk

Someone took a bite (or something--these Revell kits are in rough shape) out of Mexico's upper starboard wing, so I used some plasticard to fix that. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65181&authk

Once sanded it seems to have worked nicely, and will just need a little filler to smooth completely.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Nothing to share on the Mexico, Venezuela, or Cuba P-47s (they're back in a box), but Colombia (Tamiya P-47D + some Quickboost aftermarket) is all done over in the P-47 STGB! So, allow me to present my latest "last leg pony"!

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65808&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65810&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!65804&authk

• Like 7