1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 "Fulcrum" by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - MiG-29 (9.12) & SMT (9.19) released - MiG-29 (9.12) early & (9.13) in the pipe line

Homebee

On 12/27/2022 at 2:03 PM, drake122 said:

Sprue shots are up on modelforum, it looks magnificent indeed.

https://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95825&start=13980

Well, yes, but no model is perfect from shape.

But that open aux intakes are not possible at parked plane.

Together with closed main intakes it's only possible when wheels on ground, engine running and velocity < 200km/h (except maintenance "tricks").

That's triggers me as a former mechanic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieGolf2009 said:

My thoughts exactly. ;) 

I bought GWH's first boxing of the Su-35S for 50€, and the updated 1/72 F-15E Strike Eagle for 30€ (plus shipping, of course), and I'm quite pleased with the quality. But, again IMHO, it's a bit too much in this particular case.

I think MiG-Mech was perhaps talking about this one, Giorgio:  https://www.steelmodels.com/en/home/pre-order/great-wall-hobby-1-72-mig-29-9-12-late-type-fulcrum.2.119.838.gp.59143.uw

1 hour ago, MiG-Mech said:

Exactly.

Thanks ! Steel Models is a shop from which I've bought before and always had a great service. Their delivery costs within Italy are also very reasonable, can't tell what they are if ordering from other countries though.

I'm very tempted by their pre-order price...

Hello fellow modelers and Happy New Year!

For my first post, besides saying hello, I thought I would share a few observations on this highly anticipated kit. 

Please note that I have no affiliation to any model making company and the below are just my own thoughts:).

From all the images posted on this forum and modelforum.cz, the kit seems to have abundant fine surface details and quite a few nice options (posable flaps, slats, various weapon loads, open closed aux intakes etc.) all of which will make it a very popular model I am sure. However looking closely, it seems that there are 2 noticeable errors (@admins I have used the modelforum.cz images to illustrate this, hope it is ok) :

1. The underside central section is showing a short steep ramp, while in reality the ramp is significantly longer and at a shallower angle. The curious thing about this error, is that this exact same error was initially present in the 1/48 9.12 version but addressed with the subsequent 9.13 versions and then retroactively on all versions. 

Gabor captures this very well in this post http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/255187-great-wall-hobby-148-mig-29-all-new-tooled/&do=findComment&comment=2489041 

p?i=e6e852398efc37b57321b1b4afffb62a

2. The second error, is the depth of the MLG wheel wells and possibly the lack of the indentation for the wheel in the side wall. This issue is also present in all the 1/48 versions as described by janman in this post http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/255187-great-wall-hobby-148-mig-29-all-new-tooled/&do=findComment&comment=3043709  . Below is an image of a RoAF 29 MLG wheel well I took many, many years ago to illustrate how this area looks in reality:

p?i=bf45de9ddabc475dee628284c32eae33

As an FYI, the Zvezda Mig 29s seem to have captured both of these areas much closer to reality, so might be a good reference source on how to correct them if they really bother you. Also to note is that on the 1/48 versions, GWH did correct a lot of the errors pointed out by the modelers, which is commendable and I can only hope that they will take a similar approach with the smaller brother. 

Thank you and apologies for the long post! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 12/28/2022 at 7:18 PM, MiG-Mech said:

Well, yes, but no model is perfect from shape.

But that open aux intakes are not possible at parked plane.

Together with closed main intakes it's only possible when wheels on ground, engine running and velocity < 200km/h (except maintenance "tricks").

That's triggers me as a former mechanic.

Doesn't the link show that both and closed aux intakes are included in the kit?

2 hours ago, Dudikoff said:

Doesn't the link show that both and closed aux intakes are included in the kit?

I guess I see closed and opened upper intakes.

Would not make sense to make a hole for one version only. 

• 2 weeks later...

I received mine today, and I am truly blown away by the details of this kit for a 1/72nd jet, or any aircraft for that matter. I’m not a Fulcrum expert by a long shot so I can’t comment on any discrepancies from the real aircraft without getting into some research for the build. The photos circulating around of the sprue shots do not display the delicacy and finesse of the details. If this kits builds up trouble free, it’s a triumph for GWH. I’ll be purchasing every member of the family. I ordered mine from a eBay seller who I’ve had great success with in the past. It was delivered well packed and in record time. 

Edited by one72
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 "Fulcrum" family by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - MiG-29 (9-12) box art+schemes+test model - release 9-12 in April 2023
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 "Fulcrum" family by Great Wall Hobby (GWH) - MiG-29 (9-12) released
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, MiG-Mech said:

So why does it take so long to get them in Europe ? 🤔

Available in Poland: https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/MiG-29-Fulcrum-A-9-12-Late-Type.html

The price (equivalent of 56,58 USD / 52,33 EUR / 46 GBP) doesn't encourage purchase. Here is a comparison to Trumpeter's prices:

• 245 PLN - GWH

• 134 PLN - Trumpeter reboxed by IBG Models, with 3D parts and extensive decal sheet

• 101 PLN - Trumpeter

I don't know if these price differences will be the same in other countries, but I'm keen to see.

In super-hobby eshop, it is available for 59 Euro. Most EU eshops list prices around 50-55 Euro. I remember way back I bought Zvezda Mig-29 9.13 variant in same scale for 7 Euro during a Black Friday sale.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Available in Poland: https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/MiG-29-Fulcrum-A-9-12-Late-Type.html

The price (equivalent of 56,58 USD / 52,33 EUR / 46 GBP) doesn't encourage purchase. Here is a comparison to Trumpeter's prices:

• 245 PLN - GWH

• 134 PLN - Trumpeter reboxed by IBG Models, with 3D parts and extensive decal sheet

• 101 PLN - Trumpeter

I don't know if these price differences will be the same in other countries, but I'm keen to see.

Added to the shop yesterday. 😄

• 4 weeks later...

Finally it arrives in more european shops.

Ordered mine for 52,50€.

Eduard will start with some photoetched parts. I guess more and 3D-printed parts will come.

Other aftermarket brands will follow for sure.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 11:42 PM, Roel_D said:

Hello fellow modelers and Happy New Year!

For my first post, besides saying hello, I thought I would share a few observations on this highly anticipated kit. 

Please note that I have no affiliation to any model making company and the below are just my own thoughts:).

From all the images posted on this forum and modelforum.cz, the kit seems to have abundant fine surface details and quite a few nice options (posable flaps, slats, various weapon loads, open closed aux intakes etc.) all of which will make it a very popular model I am sure. However looking closely, it seems that there are 2 noticeable errors (@admins I have used the modelforum.cz images to illustrate this, hope it is ok) :

1. The underside central section is showing a short steep ramp, while in reality the ramp is significantly longer and at a shallower angle. The curious thing about this error, is that this exact same error was initially present in the 1/48 9.12 version but addressed with the subsequent 9.13 versions and then retroactively on all versions. 

Gabor captures this very well in this post http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/255187-great-wall-hobby-148-mig-29-all-new-tooled/&do=findComment&comment=2489041 

p?i=e6e852398efc37b57321b1b4afffb62a

2. The second error, is the depth of the MLG wheel wells and possibly the lack of the indentation for the wheel in the side wall. This issue is also present in all the 1/48 versions as described by janman in this post http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/255187-great-wall-hobby-148-mig-29-all-new-tooled/&do=findComment&comment=3043709  . Below is an image of a RoAF 29 MLG wheel well I took many, many years ago to illustrate how this area looks in reality:

p?i=bf45de9ddabc475dee628284c32eae33

As an FYI, the Zvezda Mig 29s seem to have captured both of these areas much closer to reality, so might be a good reference source on how to correct them if they really bother you. Also to note is that on the 1/48 versions, GWH did correct a lot of the errors pointed out by the modelers, which is commendable and I can only hope that they will take a similar approach with the smaller brother. 

Thank you and apologies for the long post! :)

Have they corrected these issues before releasing the kit in full sales?