1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 birdcage

This was the first real 1/32 kit I built. The engineering and detail tamiya put into their 1/32 series kits is amazing. The only drama I had was attaching the landing gear right at the end. I’m of the opinion it was completely my fault although I have heard a couple other people comment on the same thing. I used the following aftermarket goodies…

HGW belts

HGW wet transfers (bit of drama with that, I’ll explain later)

Eduard Brassin wheels

barracuda placards

Kit engine. The engine details though are scratchbuilt with copper wire.

p?i=0e2f72ec4a041953e81fd28eead606ab

p?i=9954c546afb099d3a0c730d3fa076379

obviously took a huge amount inspiration from someone’s  work on his and copied his double layer chipping process to the letter. Very happy with result. Also did a sick amount of research into primer colours used on these early gulls, and sprayed accordingly salmon colour along bolts and panel joins, yellow zinc chromate on rivets and in between. And after all that you can barely see it under the very subtle chipping in did. These things didn’t chip that badly compared toJapanesemachines etc.

p?i=97b225de50afdf34621e6b2c35bc4dfd

p?i=0f078b742fd584fd24f4699c943c0353

For the tape around the panel joins at the fuel tank I used the kit’s thick stupid decals and didn’t use any solvents. It’s tape, it’s meant to cover the panel lines, not show them off. So luckily the kits decals got used somewhere.

p?i=a4f35f3abaedcfb947f6cbd4acf59a9c

barracuda cockpit placards in action.

p?i=53a9cb89f1ca8ca39b25574d3a58e17c

tried pigment for the exhaust smoke. This is the result. Not a fan. At least I know now.

p?i=57c849e17191cb074cd7b88bead53e30

scored a win with this one in its category last comp. very happy about that.

p?i=59d65d2464a9deb5e1ea1938d048f68c

p?i=e9e158c0aa4c52d5287d460f9fe89484

When using HGW wet transfers, I found out the hard way that best way to go about it is to promptly ignore the instructions where it says, “use mr mark setter or mr mark solvent”. When it came time to remove the film off the decals, I found that the solvent had melted the thing into the clear coat. And film wouldn’t remove. I had to gently and carefully carve off a corner with the scalpel to remove the film. Use water. Remove film and then maybe decal solvent.

p?i=261bf937205fb65cf7a73a6c06da5977

for the base I took a panel of hard insulating foam (wall and door interiors) from hardware shop, cut out a chunk and surrounded it in balsa panels. I used mig ammo acrylic terrains light earth, and a 1/35 scale field repair shop from a brand I don’t remember for the various items featured. A bit of black oil paint for the oil leak, and burnt umber thinned to stain the balsa. A couple rocks from my driveway for the tire chocks and that was a wrap.

highly highly recommended this kit. I’ve got the 1A and the 1D sitting there now it was that good. And they aren’t cheap kits. Completely worth it though.

Edited by Kov1985
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Dave Spencer said:

Very nice. Will it be oils and inks for the exhaust stain on the next project?

Hey mate, I did this a couple years ago. Since then I’ve gotten more confident with my airbrush. I use tamiya red brown, then black. It’s very thinned. I use 2 drops of colour, then 1.5ml of methylated spirits as thinner. In fact I only use metho for thinner unless it’s a lacquer obviously.