Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

16 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Wondering if if you can cut the ends off, add shims to increase width, and scratch build the lids ?

Do you mean like this....?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Needs a little tidying up once fully set but....great minds and all that!

Quiet an impressive build you included the link to,  I'll have a good look at that. Still have the exhaust flaps to open yet, amongst other things...

Cheers🍻

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Vaastav said:

since you have a sPzAbt 502 book, please could you see if there are any of 002

Don't know what period Tiger 1 your doing mate ....but if it was very early .IE. Leningrad then 502 only had i believe nine Tigers .......002 is a company command vehicle and as 502 at that time had only nine Tigers 002 might have been one of the company's Pz.Kpfw III N's...again i don't know this for sure but looking at the layout of most heavy company's.

The 501 had two Tigers as company HQ 001-002 then a light company of Panzer III's  03-10.... then 1st company which was a mix of Tigers and Panzer III and then 2nd company which was all Tigers.....like i said this is off the top of my head so double check because i have a habit of getting things wrong  :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

That looks great Darryl ..very efficient fix for that little problem. :goodjob:..............................................................

AND WHILE I THINK OFF IT ............TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE................. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST FOR A PROSPEROUS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ............. YOU GUYS ARE THE REASON THIS YEAR HASN'T BEEN THE COMPLETE DUMPSTER FIRE IT COULD HAVE OTHERWISE BEEN .........YOUR ALL GREAT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

AND WHILE I THINK OFF IT ............TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE................. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST FOR A PROSPEROUS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ............. YOU GUYS ARE THE REASON THIS YEAR HASN'T BEEN THE COMPLETE DUMPSTER FIRE IT COULD HAVE OTHERWISE BEEN .........YOUR ALL GREAT.

Not sure who he's referring too but...

Isn't he a little sweetie!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Do you mean like this....?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quiet an impressive build you included the link to,  I'll have a good look at that. Still have the exhaust flaps to open yet, amongst other things...

Cheers🍻

Yes lol !! 🤣

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Awwwwwww..... We love you too, Steve !! 

Isn't it nice to have a few friends, finally !! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Don't know what period Tiger 1 your doing mate ....but if it was very early .IE. Leningrad then 502 only had i believe nine Tigers .......002 is a company command vehicle and as 502 at that time had only nine Tigers 002 might have been one of the company's Pz.Kpfw III N's...again i don't know this for sure but looking at the layout of most heavy company's.

The 501 had two Tigers as company HQ 001-002 then a light company of Panzer III's  03-10.... then 1st company which was a mix of Tigers and Panzer III and then 2nd company which was all Tigers.....like i said this is off the top of my head so double check because i have a habit of getting things wrong  :D

He’s building the Mid Zimmerit 002, but as far as I can tell, I can only find one pic of it. 

I need to start a new Tiger, today. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vaastav said:

@Longbow, since you have a sPzAbt 502 book, please could you see if there are any of 002 (my project). 

Ok, now for updates. 

The upper hull painted yellow. 

The pioneer tools painted, and green camo scheme applied. Please don't go on the camo too much, it's painted with imagination and a hairy stick (not that I'm very good with either. 

Dry fitted to the lower hull. The front left fender is damaged to show a little battle weariness. 

Next up, weathering

Here you go.... ;)

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @Zack for bringing back to life my Tunisian Tiger build.  I've gone back and reinserted photos from the build blog.  Explanations are few, with details pointed out directly on the photos.  Basically most corrections done were those outlined for the specified model kit found at the Tiger1info site - http://tiger1.info/kits.html

The only mistake I realize made seven years ago, was to follow Osprey's publication lead in which they stated these Tigers were originally factory finished in grey. Hence the running gear and lower hull are heavily weathered over factory finished grey.  Also should point out I did not follow strictly to the 2/3 to 1/3 ratio of RAL 8000 AND 7008. 

regards,

Jack

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JackG said:

Thank you @Zack for bringing back to life my Tunisian Tiger build.  I've gone back and reinserted photos from the build blog.  Explanations are few, with details pointed out directly on the photos.  Basically most corrections done were those outlined for the specified model kit found at the Tiger1info site - http://tiger1.info/kits.html

The only mistake I realize made seven years ago, was to follow Osprey's publication lead in which they stated these Tigers were originally factory finished in grey. Hence the running gear and lower hull are heavily weathered over factory finished grey.  Also should point out I did not follow strictly to the 2/3 to 1/3 ratio of RAL 8000 AND 7008. 

regards,

Jack

Thank you Jack,
much appreciated :)

All the best for 2021, best wishes for you and yours!

Very Best Regards
Zack

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

That looks great Darryl ..very efficient fix for that little problem. :goodjob:..............................................................

Vaccine is being distributed and the game will change... eventually!
Until then, stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling 2021 :)

/Z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Questions to 123...
I think it is safe to say that this is a tilted track/mud guard assembly (what do you guys call them?) ...
Note the tilt between 3&4 (under the aiming cross):
2v2H5Aqs2x6eHcV.jpg

Would anyone have a picture of the gun mantle or rear deck?
Escape hatch?

Last day of 2020, I just might strike lucky ;)

/Z

Edited by Zack
Escape hatch
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zack said:

I think it is safe to say that this is a tilted track/mud guard assembly (what do you guys call them?) ...

I call them track guards, they end up bent out of shape or missing quite often, especially in supermarket carparks. :whistle:

33 minutes ago, Zack said:

There are a couple of pictures in the Schiffer book "Tigers at the front" but they are from the same aspect and with the crew seated on the mantlet, I can tell thet it has no front mud shields and a Panzer III turret box. :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

I have added most of the last bits and pieces to my Tiger but since my Techmod  decals of the 505 charging knight do not look correct, I have decided to finish it differently.  I have decals and profiles for 2 Tigers that appeal to me, one from s.Pzr.Ab.507.  I can use decals 211 plus I have the unit emblem.

IMG_1472

The other one is a profile and decals from Topcolors#5 Panzerwaffe of Tiger 113 of s.Pzr.Ab.509 

IMG_1469

I am ready to prime this model but as the country is suffering a freeze at the moment it will have to wait, Mr Surfacer and self levelling thinner are not things to be sprayed in the house. 😷

Tempted as I am to start my Dragon initial production Tiger, I must finish off my Panthers by the 10th of Jan, the end of that GB. :nod:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Zack said:

Questions to 123...
Note the tilt between 3&4 (under the aiming cross):
2v2H5Aqs2x6eHcV.jpg

Escape hatch?

Last day of 2020, I just might strike lucky ;)

/Z

Zack, 123 is an initial Tiger, and I’m pretty sure this photo was from Kursk ir close by. 

There are more pix of this company’s tigers. 
Pretty sure some had the Paderborne (Sp ?) turret bin. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Zack, 123 is an initial Tiger, and I’m pretty sure this photo was from Kursk or close by. 

All the required bits are in the Dragon initial production Tiger kit, one of the decal options is 121 of s.Pz.Abt.502 with some winter white wash on it. :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1