Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

37 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Dan, having never tried Modelkasten, what's the advantage of Fruils or some of the other metal tracks?

hi Jasperdog.

MK have great detailed surfaces and right 1/35 scale but are very time consuming to assembly (often every track consists of 5 pieces).

Fruil have a good detailed surface but are a little overscale (often you have to use Fruil drive sprockets).

MK are very fragile and after some attempts to mount and dismount they often broken down. 

Friul are more resistants but its weight can cause a break and after time they tend to relax and "sit down" on wheels.

Personally I prefer Modelkasten tracks even if in the past I used Friul too to speed up the modelling process!

HTH

Ciao

Filippo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

Friul are more resistants but its weight can cause a break and after time they tend to relax and "sit down" on wheels.

Just like the real deal Fruils stretch overtime because of there weight, to combat this I always leave a couple of pins over length

with the trail ends tucked away on the hull side so I can drop a link when required. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Noooo Lol

All 3 won’t be on one base :D

Even I’m not that crazy 😜 

Dooooh and I was so looking forward to 3 tigers, couple of halftracks and some panzer grenadiers!

Spoil sport!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

hi Jasperdog.

MK have great detailed surfaces and right 1/35 scale but are very time consuming to assembly (often every track consists of 5 pieces).

Fruil have a good detailed surface but are a little overscale (often you have to use Fruil drive sprockets).

MK are very fragile and after some attempts to mount and dismount they often broken down. 

Personally I prefer Modelkasten tracks even if in the past I used Friul too to speed up the modelling process!

HTH

Ciao

Filippo

Do the Rye Field Tiger kits use MK tracks ? Or are they just the same type of construction ?

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

Posting without pictures ?? Shouldn't you be busy, doing stuff ? ;)

Trust me i have been ....just not models .....high winds blew most of our fencing away in the backyard....so that's what i've been doing for the last few days. ........hopefully i will get some time to myself today so the Panther build will be finished.

That's why i'm here ....needed some inspiration and a little nudge in the right direction. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Trust me i have been ....just not models .....high winds blew most of our fencing away in the backyard....so that's what i've been doing for the last few days. ........hopefully i will get some time to myself today so the Panther build will be finished.

That's why i'm here ....needed some inspiration and a little nudge in the right direction. 

2020 just keeps on giving.....

Well, hurry up !! ;)

Seriously, sorry about the fence !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Anyone know anything about them ?? Good, bad, or ugly ?

No experience with Miniart...but i have used Sherman bogies and tracks from AFV Club ....if they were anything to go by the the Halftrack above should be nice assuming there of the same quality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Do the Rye Field Tiger kits use MK tracks ? Or are they just the same type of construction ?

Never having had a set of MK tracks can't be sure but they certainly look to be of similar construction with the separate pins going in each side and separate horns.

• Like 1

The afv club 251s look nice in the box, I've the 251/22 in front of me now, nice crisp detail not overly complicated, can't imagine it presenting problems. 

If you want to know anything specific let me know and I can photograph it later.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Seriously, sorry about the fence !!

Don't give him excuses, he could be bluffing!:giggle:

If the fence has independent relocated itself then.....  the fresh air and outdoor activity will do him good! :whistle:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Don't give him excuses, he could be bluffing!:giggle:

If the fence has independent relocated itself then.....  the fresh air and outdoor activity will do him good! :whistle:

Each panel obviously needs better track pins......

Oh.... Wait.....

:D

• Haha 2

Right,

as i said before  just found a box full of PE for the Tiger I from Lionroar.
It is their LAS35017 set.
I  have no use of this so I am happy to slip it into an envelope if someone is interested.
I have used the engine screens and will use the side skirts but the rest is there, mud guards exhaust shields tool clamps etc....
PM me if you are interested and I get it in the mail next day.

2v2H5uWD3x6eHcV.jpg

2v2H5uWSux6eHcV.jpg

2v2H5uWGUx6eHcV.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I have to go to work, but paint has started on this little fella.....

He seems to have an abnormally large head.....

It’s odd how phone cameras make everything look really bad ;)

Funny, I don't need a phone camera to do that...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zack said:

Right,

as i said before  just found a box full of PE for the Tiger I from Lionroar.
It is their LAS35017 set.
I  have no use of this so I am happy to slip it into an envelope if someone is interested.
I have used the engine screens and will use the side skirts but the rest is there, mud guards exhaust shields tool clamps etc....
PM me if you are interested and I get it in the mail next day.

That's really cool of you ...pretty sure somebody here doing there Tiger build will jump on that set....... lots of parts in that set to refine any kit.

58 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

not trench warfare!

Nope it definitely felt like trench warfare :D

58 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Funny, I don't need a phone camera to do that...

neither do i:rofl:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Longbow said:

Anyone know anything about them ?? Good, bad, or ugly ?

I have a MiniArt T-34/85 in the stash, it has a high parts count so is well detailed with p/e and individual track links.  MiniArt do different boxings for each of the T-34/85 sub- variants, mine has the D-5T main gun mounting/turret with 4 decal options.

The Sd.Kfz.251/9 I only have the Tamiya and Dragon kits.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Never having had a set of MK tracks can't be sure but they certainly look to be of similar construction with the separate pins going in each side and separate horns.

I made some MK tracks for a KT, nice and detailed, easy to assemble but I found the pins were too small and fragile, they were always breaking so I ended gluing them together in the end.

• Like 2