Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 and gaffing around SUPERTHREAD

26 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I keep forgetting the small scale of these !... I guess they're a kind of halfway point between 1/35 and 1/76

Exactly, they’re much smaller, but not so tiny I can’t see what I’m doing! I suspect 1/48 would work as well, but I enjoy modifying the wargames kits, it’s “impressionist” modelling rather than precision, so makes a nice change of pace.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Exactly, they’re much smaller, but not so tiny I can’t see what I’m doing! I suspect 1/48 would work as well, but I enjoy modifying the wargames kits, it’s “impressionist” modelling rather than precision, so makes a nice change of pace.

Well they look bloody good to me 👍  ( also I guess you can amass large forces for less dosh !)

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

I used Humbrol tube filler/putty applied thinly with a flexible spatula, then scored using a fine razor saw blade

I was thinking about a similar job on my Jagdpanzer IV using Revell putty but I bottled out and decided to modify it to a later, post zimmerit, version. 🥴

13 minutes ago, echen said:

I was thinking about a similar job on my Jagdpanzer IV using Revell putty but I bottled out and decided to modify it to a later, post zimmerit, version. 🥴

Suggest getting a cheap Italeri or Armourfast gaming kit and giving it a go on that, decide if it’s worth the effort without committing yourself on an expensive model

• Like 1
On 11/06/2021 at 19:55, 06/24 said:

It’s not a Tiger, but it is a big cat...

51240428686_deb7e5bfb2_c.jpgSpeed build Panther by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

So sorry to barge into this Tiger Club meeting ;)

but... is it me or do those tracks look odd, like they have switched directions at the seam? (just for my own understanding -as a Jerry I must beef up my knowledge on these things :) )

1 minute ago, Johnny Tip said:

So sorry to barge into this Tiger Club meeting ;)

but... is it me or do those tracks look odd, like they have switched directions at the seam? (just for my own understanding -as a Jerry I must beef up my knowledge on these things :) )

Yeah, I wondered that, they do look a bit odd, one of the compromises of a wargames model I suspect. - I tried various combinations and there wasn’t a way to fit them that didn’t look odd (they are just two lengths, upper and lower. A piece of plastic section over the join might help, as it wouldn’t mean the join was quite so obvious (I was just going to add mud!)

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

is it me or do those tracks look odd

How about blending a plastic card ridge into the join to even it up a bit?

18 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

... one of the compromises of a wargames model I suspect. .

I guess you're right. Wargames models aren't to be trusted in the least... that's why I steer clear of them (and i'm certainly not a rivet counter)

39 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

A piece of plastic section over the join might help, as it wouldn’t mean the join was quite so obvious (I was just going to add mud!)

17 minutes ago, echen said:

How about blending a plastic card ridge into the join to even it up a bit?

Great minds...

• Like 1

Well it has been a busy couple of weeks....got two commissions on the same day by two different customers... so have been at the bench for what feels like an eternity, plus side I now have some free funds to invest in the stash and some pocket money for my visit to the tank museum in August.

Hope everybody has been well will be getting back to the late Tiger at some point over the next few days...nice to see the thread is still kicking.