I must be dreaming: Nieuport Delage NiD 622

jean

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good Jean. Stay safe with all that weather!

If you didn’t have to add a top wing, it would make a great racer in the Howard Hughes small-wing vein!

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

re the weather, we can barely hear each other, so loud is the river in flood below our house...We have had 85 mm of rain in 24 hours, including 42 mm in 1 hour this afternoon. Rather wet, what...

Re the Nieuport, I am sorely tempted to finish it as a racer, as per your suggestion. I did a few dry fitting tests and there is an asymetry I am not sure how to solve. Some head scratching in perspective. If there is a will, there is a way... or so they say.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi Adrian,

re the weather, we can barely hear each other, so loud is the river in flood below our house...We have had 85 mm of rain in 24 hours, including 42 mm in 1 hour this afternoon. Rather wet, what...

Cheers.

JR

Call that rain ! We measure ours in feet, not blooming mm's :raincloud:

Take care mate, sounds like the thatched roof on the chateau is going to be severely tested !

I hope the Italian marble mosaic floor survives OK, and Steve doesn't decide to come in the house to shelter from the weather.

Cheers Pat

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Call that rain ! We measure ours in feet, not blooming mm's :raincloud:

Take care mate, sounds like the thatched roof on the chateau is going to be severely tested !

I hope the Italian marble mosaic floor survives OK, and Steve doesn't decide to come in the house to shelter from the weather.

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

you must be kidding me! In your neck of the wood, they broadcast severe warnings when they are expecting 30 mm of rain in 24 hours...

And yes, the roof of the chateau has held admirably. More worried about the river climbing too high! To be safe I removed the gold plated taps...

As for Steve, he was two feet from Karen , at the kitchen door, the other evening, and the kitchen is sadly too small for him. It won't be the first time a hippo walks straight through a door. 

Right now I have warthogs grazing the lawn in front of my window. Mad house! And another downpour is imminent. Damn!

Stay safe with all the nonsense in your corner of the galaxy!

Cheers

JR

• Haha 2

Hi everyone,

at long last all the paint touch ups have been done on the fuselage. Tedious, but very glad it is done.

Just have the exhausts to paint black, and that may be tricky to do as they are rather microscopic!

NiD 622 Photo 25

All the other assemblies are pretty much ready.

After a lot of dry fitting and sanding, cutting, etc. I am left with trying to put that scaffolding together, hoping the final result won't be to wonky...

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks great JR, I use a needle dipped in paint to do things like the exhaust, takes a while but you don't up with paint where it wasn't intended

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat,

I may well try your needle. I was truthfully going to use a porcupine quill...

I may try that too. If it works you can use that method too. Shouldn't be too hard to find one in the woods near Oban.

Cheers

JR

• Haha 3

Hi everyone,

there has not been any meaningful post for a while as I have been wringing my hands, not really knowing how to deal with the next step of the build.

I was facing the prospect of a completely wonky model if I blew it. Dry fitting was not promising, so there was quite a bit of gentle trimming, breaking the masts between the fuselage and the landing gear  several times... The word nightmare was uttered many times, accompanied of the suitable qualificatives.

An hour ago, I jumped in and put some glue, grew a couple more hands and stopped breathing.

Here is the result below..

To be honest, I have surprised myself that the whole scaffolding has not collapsed.

NiD 622 Photo 27

NiD 622 Photo 26

The next step is to finish the last touch ups, gloss varnish, decals, mat varnish and then the top wing!!!! 

Scary moment again!

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 5

On 2/3/2021 at 12:37 PM, jean said:

An hour ago, I jumped in and put some glue, grew a couple more hands and stopped breathing.

Here is the result below..

To be honest, I have surprised myself that the whole scaffolding has not collapsed.

It looks great JR, and from the photo it certainly looks as if the top wing will be in good alignment. I'm a great believer in carefully and judiciously applied super glue in situations like yours.

Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

It looks great JR, and from the photo it certainly looks as if the top wing will be in good alignment. I'm a great believer in carefully and judiciously applied super glue in situations like yours.

Best of luck!

Hi Johnson,

thanks for your vote of confidence.

My plan is to be ready to glue the top wing by Monday... You are right, everything lines up fine. And the day you want to glue for posterity, nothing aligns any more... Been there a few times. That is why I am not rushing this last job.

Have fun with your builds!

JR

• Like 2

Love this build. It's super meticulous! Great paintwork too. The work around the cowling colours is very precise. Great looking aeroplane too, and with four in the stash, I really must build one now. Hope to see this one in the gallery!

Steve

• Like 1

The main masts are glued and just to sleep better I positioned the wing (dry fitting only!) to check that all did sit as it should.

Verdict: I am happy with the symmetry and everything is as it should. Pheeew.

So by tomorrow evening I hope to have the decals on.

Here are a couple of piccies to show the WIP.

NiD 622 Photo 29

NiD 622 Photo 28

Cheers 

JR

• Like 4

That looks absolutely wonderful JR. You just need to add the 'handle with care' sign! It does look delicate.

The top decals went on really well. Not far to go now.

• Thanks 1

Hi 

slower progress than planned. SWMBO is around my desk and painting with enamels is therefore not an option.

Survival kicks in.

Anyway, glued wheels and tail skid, painted exhausts, unmasked rudder, and now ready for gloss after a couple of micro touch ups on the green paint.

So pretty much on schedule all in all!

NiD 622 Photo 30

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Ah yes we are all so brave when SWMBO is safely out of earshot  !

Looking great mate. 

Cheers Pat 

Sssh! She standing right behind me! Fortunately, she snuggling the cat and not looking at the 'puter screen.

Chris

• Haha 2

Hi there,

I just started applying the decals on one side of the fuselage.  Hopefully the other side will go on this evening.

These decals are temperamental, or so I feel, so I let them well alone on their backing paper until they slide without a fight. That takes several long minutes! Patience...

And they have a tendency to start crumbling if they are moved a bit too much. I stopped the disaster well on time. Lucky.

I have re-learnt something I had forgotten while brushing the gloss cote: because I dilute it at +/- 80% with turp, the Metal Cote aluminium started being dissolved and the fuselage was taking a nice, metallic sheen. Managed to clean that with a brush wet with turpentine. Lucky I noticed on time.

NiD 622 Photo 31

Unfortunately the black area on top of the engine will have to be repainted as I noticed too late they too were shiny and grey!!!

What a bummer!

Anyway, not far now. The diminutive windscreen will only be glued after the mat varnish using a rattle can.

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

well this little Nieuport is at long last finished! Not any minute too soon...

A really beautiful plane, but one of the most fiddly I have built in a long time.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

NiD 622 Photo 32

NiD 622 Photo 33

NiD 622 Photo 35

NiD 622 Photo 37

Well, it was a fun GB!

My Etendard will hopefully be finished before the start of the A-4 GB!!!

Cheers all.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 3

Fantastic Nieuport! You've done a beautiful job on this kit. Well worth the wait and just in the nick of time too! 

I got three of these in the stash for some reason. I feel all inspired to build one of them now.

Steve

• Like 1