1/32 Special Hobby Model 239 Buffalo "Taivaan Helmi over Finland”

Hi all, my latest build as part of the Nordic GB. 

WIP here.

Aircraft depicted was flown by Eino Luukkanen for LeLv 24 of the Finnish Air Force in the continuation war. Interestingly for his kills he painted (stuck?) beer labels on his tail. He managed 14.5 victories during this conflict using the buffalo. 

I like to call this aeroplane the Barrel! But the Finns called it the Pearl of the Sky! The model took me a long time due to the limited run nature of the kit and how it is as the largest model I’ve built to date. The detail is incredible but the fit can be dreadful. I would definitely recommend the kit though.

I may have used a bit of poetic license with the weathering but I wanted to try something (Rivet counters beware!!! :clown:). I sprayed the model all over Vallejo aluminium and applied masking fluid in certain areas and then sprayed the camo using a variety of acrylic paints. I weathered the model using revell weathering powders. Only thing I’m unhappy with is a seam still visible on the lower surface and the shade of the grey (it’s supposed to be black).  Hope you enjoy however:

49870800348_3a738695cf_b.jpg 49871328416_01e9a84e10_b.jpg 49871639562_0ef8693111_b.jpg 49871639662_abccffb71c_b.jpg 49871328641_edc182dc5f_b.jpg

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 24

Magnificent build and and smooth finish!

Although personally, I can't quite convince my eyes to interpret those liberally applied blotches of grey or silver paint as wear and chipping…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Although personally, I can't quite convince my eyes to interpret those liberally applied blotches of grey or silver paint as wear and chipping…

If I’m honest I’m not overly happy with the result, but for a first time using the method Im not overly disappointed either. 

Ash

Great work Ash, great looking Buffalo, I know what you mean with this kit I built the MK1 variant of the kit Nd thoroughly enjoyed it but it did take a while to build but is impressive when built.

Great job on your model

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

You`ve done a lovely job and it looks awesome in its Finnish markings. I have one to build a British aircraft one day,...... I was wondering what the fit would be like,..... unfortunately uou`ve confirmed my suspicions but your reccomendation is encouraging and if it turns out half as good as yours I shall be happy!!!

Cheers

Tony 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Ash, great looking Buffalo, I know what you mean with this kit I built the MK1 variant of the kit Nd thoroughly enjoyed it but it did take a while to build but is impressive when built.

Great job on your model

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks! High praise indeed considering yours looks extraordinary! I think we can both agree that the end product is well worth the pain of building her. 

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

You`ve done a lovely job and it looks awesome in its Finnish markings. I have one to build a British aircraft one day,...... I was wondering what the fit would be like,..... unfortunately uou`ve confirmed my suspicions but your reccomendation is encouraging and if it turns out half as good as yours I shall be happy!!!

Cheers

Tony 

Hi Tony,

Thankyou very much. I do like the British two tone underside camo these. Buffaloes had so I may have to build another one in those colours! 

Forewarned it Forearmed so I hope the difficulties I faced will stand you in good stead for when you build yours. I look forward to seeing an RFI of it at some point in the future :) 

Cheers 

Ash

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doccur said:

Hi Chris, thanks! High praise indeed considering yours looks extraordinary! I think we can both agree that the end product is well worth the pain of building her

Thanks Ash that is very kind of you, I had lots of very kind help from BM members when I had questions who were able to provide some images in the WWII thread.  

Great model and great work on yours, I do like the beer mat score cards.

All the best

Chris