GREAT SCOTT MARTY! - Delorean DMC-12 -

Which should I build?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which version should I build?

• Original Time Machine?
    • Flying DeLorean?

And now for something completely different......especially from me.

I started this build about 5 years ago and set it aside for some reason, I;m not a big car builder, but it is something I am willing to give a bash and I absolutely LOVE the DMC12

So to give you a little taster of whats to come.....and I will try my best to do this awesome piece of automotive design justice.

The kit it self is the Polar Lights "Snap fit" and is reasonably good. Picked up at a car show at Stafford Castle 5 years ago for a fraction of the price.

DSC_3178

I had started with mat painting most of the interior parts black ready for some colour. I had begun the dash board, but it will need re-doing I think? I do not plan on painting the body panels of the Delorean, perhaps maybe the bonnet / hood titanium silver as a slight variation in colour, as the finish on the shell is actually very good at for the brushed 316 stainless steel.

DSC_3179

There is some chrome parts for the wheels and rear lights. I am unsure weather to build the original time machine, or the flying DeLorean?

DSC_3180

That's it really at this point. The same place i left it 5 years ago.....more to follow!

• Like 3

Arftanoon' all!

Hope you're all well?

So yesterday I spent quite a while pouring over as many pictures as I can of the DeLorean interior. unfortunately the detail on the kit is limited and I have had to make the best of what I can with the details.

These are some of the images I found as reference points

d876b7d4ff7535fa803c6391bfc0d3be.jpg

430894_173641906072936_125714114199049_1

Back-to-the-Future-1981-Delorean-Time-Ma

latest?cb=20080602220751

TeamTimeCar.com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machi

So with these in mind and to go on, this is my interpretation so far

DSC_3181

DSC_3182

A little more work is needed on the rear interior panel I think, and the flux capacitor casing is still drying our after 24 hours of being encased in Krystal Klear.

DSC_3183

That is as far as I managed over the weekend. more to follow.

Oh and thank to everyone who has voted so far...looks like it is the original BTTF Time Machine then?

I find I am OK with this...... :)

Comments and hints always welcomed :)

• Like 6

Yup, I voted for the original one as well. A flying car, tsk... About your build: what I think would be nice is when you could sand the moulded on cable detail off the dash and replace it with real wire. I think it would make a big difference. 

• Thanks 1

Good trick for the flux capacitor!  I have the Aoshima version awaiting build so very interesting to see what the Polar Lights one is like, and will be following this with great interest!

Oh, and it's a pity that no one does a 46 Ford convertible...

• Like 1

Welcome along @Paul H Hopefully this build will serve as what not to do when building your Aoshima kit. Though I have seen it, and it is a stunning kit.

So I took onboard a few tips from @JeroenS for the cables and looked to see what I could do.

So Saturday was taken up by attempting this....i took some reasonably fine gauge wire and fashioned to fit the interior as best I can. Hopefully it looks reasonably OK?

DSC_3188

DSC_3187

DSC_3186

Sundays efforts before my neck gave in. Interior door cards and the beginning of the time circuitry on the rear of the DMC12.

DSC_3191

DSC_3190

DSC_3189

So that's where we are at the moment. 

Some of the detail reference points, though I suspect I may have to change a few details

53d160cac5f3b46674c1f29810df04fb.jpg

109_1157.jpg

• Like 3

Time machine update!

Managed a few hours over the weekend, and I am beginning to find a few niggles.

First, piccies!

Most of the rear equipment has been painted in base colours pending any additional weathering that I may apply. The interior tub has also been mounted to the chassis too. There are some additional pipework and details to be added, but this will be at a later point in the build.

DSC_3215

DSC_3214

My attention has now been turned to the exterior of the DMC and the kick guards, front & rear spoilers in a flat black. Since my pot of flat black isn't in the best of conditions at the moment, it has been a little trick to apply.

The vents and widescreen wipers have been details as well as the slightly dark tones for the front and read light clusters.

DSC_3208

The door & panel kick plates were to be masked up next but my neck was starting to ache a bit so decided to call it a day

DSC_3209

What I noticed is that the lacquer used for the "brushed aluminium" look is starting to come off. not just from knocking, but also from the application from low-tac masking tape too.

DSC_3213

It could be useful as a natural chipping technique....only the DeLorean was never painted...so.......?

More to follow, and much much more masking for the bumpers etc.

Emmett_Brown.jpg

• Like 4

The brushed aluminium finish came as part of the kit. It's a "snap tight" kit while very little other colours apart from grey and a splash of black here and there.

You're right in saying that silvers / chromes are a pain to lay down well. I have found that a light base coat of a flat black helps with the application.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all!

apologies for the absence on this build, despite being in lock down, and working from home. the 60+ hour weeks I'm putting in with the firm I work for has wiped me out completely. Then there is the usual life admin and various other activities needed to run a house n all..

Anyways, I managed to squeeze in a few hours yesterday afternoon around Bojo's epically confusing speak and the Nado's heat index scale........

So....on with the show....in a Del Preston style (for those who don;t know who the legend that is Del Preston...I employ you to watch Waynes World 2

Paint work of the cabling and various panels has been a tedious task, but worth it. I also found out that tamiya Titanium paint is an almost near perfect match to the DMC12's finish.

The windscreen was installed and the shell matched to the chassis. there are a few touch ups needed, but I will do theses with the rest of the cabling and circuits are painted and attached,

DSC_3228

DSC_3227

DSC_3226

DSC_3224

My next task is to try and simulate the blue glow of the exterior time circuits like this...

2208718016_110e7d5f74_z.jpg

I was thinking of a white base coat with layered blue washes

Though as it is probably going to be static, the screen grab from a static time machine shows them as a grey colour?

any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

5MgPyjVGdrOMyWMZ34mep1FBIeoBmSHy2KbX6WZB

It would also appear that the kit does not include any axles for the wheels to be in non flight mode....which is disappointing....As I have not included the Mr Fusion some sctratch building or butchering of what is provided will be needed.

Not too far from completion, just lots more paint to apply and detailing needed.

Happy to hear any thoughts on the build so far :)

From the looks of the photo of it lit up, and from a check on Google for the unlit one, I'd say that the lighting you're looking at is probably going to be cold cathode lighting, which looks very similar to a fluorescent tube when unlit (apart from not being limited by tube dimensions). So you could use the appearance of a fluorescent lamp as a guide for the appearance to aim for if doing the model with it as unlit. If you are trying to replicate the lit appearance, then you would really be looking for more of a cold, crisp white rather than a blue so try to find a cold white and don't go too heavy on the blue wash.

Hope that helps.

That was kind my thinking @Spiny

A very light blue into the recesses of the circuits and a light blue/white wash for the rest of the area.

I may have to break out the Games Workshop painting guides again for this type of effect. I was thinking the power armour / sword painting effect that can be done.

a bit like this effect.

wnihe0h64yb21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

1. Prime Grey
  2. basecoat Thousand Sons Blue
  3. apply highlights with 50:50 Thousand Sons : Screaming Skull. Don’t let the transition be too harsh (glaze/feather a little if needed). Apply edge highlights with this mix.
  4. Further highlight and edge with 5:1 Screaming Skull : Thousand Sons
  5. Even further highlight Screaming Skull with tiny bit of Thousand Sons Blue mixed in, effectively blue-ey screaming skull
  6. Shade with Kantor Blue mixed with a little Thousand Sons Blue. Apply tiny highlights of pure screaming skull
  7. Shade deeper with Caliban Green : Kantor Blue : Thousand Sons Blue 3:3:1. Make glazes of previous mixes and smooth out the highlight transitions where needed

Credit -

1. (Optional) Use a brush with super fine tip to apply 2:1 white :screaming skull highlight/small reflection lines.
  • Like 1

Very interesting. If you want a real glow, have you considered die-electric paint? It may be a bit thick & you would need to connect a battery, but if there was ever a kit that could make it work, I’d imagine it would be this 

• Like 1

On a visit to Toronto in 2016 the wife and I stumbled onto a street car show.  I'm sure you have a great deal of reference, but this was an impressive life size running representation.

20160610_200256

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a great reference picture of the port side of the DeLorean. Thanks @JCH

Especially for the wheels as well. The ones supplied in the kit are a horrible bright chrome.

Well I tried my best so far with the blue time circuit glow......I think it will need some more work though, perhaps a little light blue highlighting?

The disappointing thing is that the fitment isn't the best either, the alignment just about meets up and will need a little more work I think?

DSC_3232

DSC_3231

DSC_3233

DSC_3230

As this is a BBTF DeLorean.....the kit is supplied with everything you need for the this version....even the connection rod directly into the time circuits that appears in the final scene to collect to 1.21Gigawatts of power. Everything you need......except axles to attach the wheels.....you get them to enable flight mode, but that's it...hence the cocktail sticks as makeshift axles as they appear to be the perfect length and gauge too :)

DSC_3235

Speaking of which, the wheels and rear light clusters are currently sat in a bath of Elbow grease. I couldn't find any of the Dettol kitchen cleaner that most use to strip chrome paint from plastic. It seems that this solution is photo-catalytic too. Only the sides that were facing direct sunlight have been stripped of chrome. the rest of the surfaces are slowly being stripped.

DSC_3229

Another day on the window sil in sunlight should hopefully do the job.

thats it for now.....

Almost there!

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 3

its bonkers......

Everything is the same as the BTTF 1 car, just that one spru swap out. hey ho.

Any yes, lots of fine detail painting. Just hope I can do it justice. It's been a while since I've done this level of detail with a hand brush.

So this morning there was mixed news for the DeLorean..........

The good news is that that the Elbow Grease cleaner works! It may take a while for it to get to work, and needs direct sunlight to work effectively, but it works. The wheels are are now stripped to a point that I can work with and begin to paint them accordingly. The rear light clusters are still being stripped and are about 50% there. 

DSC_3236

The bad news is that a droplet fell onto the DeLorean with out me realising and its has damaged it.....I'm pretty annoyed at my self about it too. I may be able to cover it up with Tamiyas Titanium paint, which is the closest shade I have to this paint on the kit too.

DSC_3237

gutted! 😕

• Like 1

Ooh crap. That looks nasty. Sanding and spraying is the only viable solution is my guess. Maybe you could get away with spraying just the bonnet.