Beemax Toyota Celica 1990 Safari Rally.

I ve made a start on this car this isolated long weekend . Driven by Bjorn Waldergard it’s the Toyota Celica GT Four ST 165 that won the 1990 Safari Rally. I previously built another Safari Celica also by Beemax. I’ve been painting parts ready to stick together later . I’m building straight out of the box . Thanks for looking , Gary. 

49764579732_840fd97559_c_d.jpg

Great picture on the box , could frame display it !

49764255671_cd68fdc4cf_c_d.jpg

• Like 9

I managed to get all the parts painted I needed so I can then begin construction. I find  doing it this way easier than painting a part , then assembling  . I paint all the black parts , the silver parts and so on . Anyway , here’s a shot of what I’ve been up to . 
   Thanks for looking, Gary. 
49770516527_23abe3a352_c_d.jpg

• Like 10

Looking forward to this one

Pretty sure I've got a Tamiya Castrol GT4 somewhere in the stash although haven't seen it in a while, but I know I never built it 🤔

Ian :) 

• Like 1

I’ve been building up the suspension and brake assemblies. The callipers are in two halves . You put the disc and poly cap to the suspension leg , then add the back half of the caliper , it holds the disc to the suspension leg . Very fiddly , but they fitted well . Calipers then touching up to finish off . Does anyone know how to bring out the holes and grooves in the discs ? I tried a black whiteboard marker over the silver , then wiped off , thinking it would leave the holes black , but it didn’t work....

Thanks for looking, Gary. 
49790314062_ca1e01a2fb_c_d.jpg

The tiny caliper  waiting to be glued in place once the disc is added . 

spacer.png

Four suspension legs ready for fitting . 

• Like 1

I'd second using a wash - personally I use Humbrol's wash but the thinned black paint mentioned by six-97 would do the same thing.

One thing which I've found works for me, and it may or may not work for you (and also needs a very fine brush - at worst a good 10/0). On the springs, it looks as though you've done the silver first then added the black after. For me, I generally find it easier to do the grooves last - i.e. paint the spring section black first, then paint the bits between the spring in silver. It's very fiddly (and annoying!) work and you need a good brush but it's much easier to get a good edge to the spring. That's not meant to sound critical as everything I can see on here tells me you're doing a good job so feel free to ignore this if you like.

• Like 1

Steve , I built another Beemax Celica kit and the calipers were moulded to the discs so why this is different,  I don't know . 

Spiny , I painted the shocks silver , then used a black Sharpie pen to colour the coil spring.  My hand is not ad steady as it once was !! . 

Thanks for all the comments , always welcomed . 

Thanks,  Gary.  

I share your pain with the hand not being as steady as is once was - I've had exactly the same issue on springs before which was why I suspected you'd painted the spring after the shock. It's because of that that I've found that painting the shock after the spring means that the brush is guided along in the 'valley' between the springs rather than constantly wanting to fall off the side of the spring. What I hadn't realised was you were using a Sharpie, in which case I'd guess it won't fit in there - not something I thought about when I wrote the bit above :blush:

• Like 1

I've sometimes taken Tamiya tape and cut it into a fine strip using a steel ruler and a scalpel, then wrapped the strip of tape around the inside coils of the spring after I've painted it silver. Make sure the tape is pulled in tightly. Then you can paint the spring coils in black and allow to dry. When you remove the strip of tape you'll have perfect coils. Works for spraying or hand brushing really well and makes for a very neat spring 😀 Did this on my Benetton years ago. Apologies for the stupid Photobucket watermark, but you can still see the spring part. I'm trying to find a reliable alternative for hosting pictures. I used to love Photobucket, but not anymore!!

IMGP4621.jpg

Edited by Steve Noble
Add picture
  • Like 3

All set to post these pictures yesterday, but the site privacy thing stopped me . Anyway it’s fixed now so here they are . I ve built up the underside . Struggled to find any good photos of the actual car , plenty of the exterior, but not many service shots with detail . So I agonised over the rear axle . Black or white . I went with white because I seem to remember by the early 90s rally cars were using more white and silver suspension parts . 
    Then I’ve been decaling the dashboard and the seats . Again , interior shots are hard to find .
     Thanks for looking , Gary. 

49821670161_153fd68bb2_c_d.jpg

49821984707_68ae8af96e_c_d.jpg

49821670366_f32308c188_c_d.jpg

• Like 7

Here’s this weekend’s progress on the Celica. Basically I’ve got all the interior build up . There are seat harness decals which I applied , then used red electricians tape to extend the belt to the rollcage . I ve used this method for years and it works for me . The dashboard seemed to fit vaguely into place , held by a slot in the floor that needed opening up due to excess paint . The rollcage fitted well , a crossbar in the bottom the only fiddly bit , having to manoeuvre it into place under the belts , with tweezers . There’s a spare wheel to go in the back next . That will be a squeeze. There’s two fuel tanks with the kit , with this being a Safari car a large tank is needed , the other will end up in my spares box . 
   Thanks for looking , Gary . 
 49850359616_71a0e45d6a_c_d.jpg

49849824313_99e47c94c2_c_d.jpg

spacer.png

49850677112_acfd525e78_c_d.jpg

Masking tape to pull the rollcage joints together. 

49850614626_a99bcd6d30_c_d.jpg

49850614826_baaa6c491e_c_d.jpg

49850615126_634e8b5ba6_c_d.jpg

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Nice progress, the interior looks pretty well detailed. Seat belt straps looking good too..

What he said!

Stay safe              Roger

• Like 1

Been decaling today . As I found with a previous Beemax kit , the decals go on really easy and line up where they should with minimum effort and stress . The worse bit was where the rear number plate will fit on the tailgate . A bit of cutting and manipulation got it in position though. I’m going to clear coat the shell next . 
  Gary. 
49871147456_d4c0d4a964_c_d.jpg

49871455727_3bca4e57e1_c_d.jpg

49871148081_82ca9e5464_c_d.jpg

49871137476_da9e942b0d_c_d.jpg

49871136716_08defce594_c_d.jpg

49870606678_acbb98a271_c_d.jpg

• Like 8