Ju87B-2 WNr 0406 Yugoslav Captured - Finished!

Ed Russell

While looking for my previous Stuka builds (pictures in first thread Post #169) I came across this poor derelict in the back of a cupboard. It is the early Airfix kit from the 1960s or thereabouts.

49411502171_8d270bd22f_b.jpg

My first thought was the crusher, where a few of my schoolkid builds have ended up. However my second thought was the Stuka STGB - maybe a simple refurbishment might be of interest?

I have no problems with the 20% rule to start a build - I estimate about 5% or less of the work to turn it into something acceptable has been done!

I have the Xtradecals Stuka sheet with an interesting captured Yugoslavian one and a few vital leftovers from the current GB Airfix kit to help - the pilot's seat and a complete canopy runner being the most important. I will have to cast a new tailplane and fix the broken main control surfaces along with 99 other jobs.

I have a photo but here is a profile of 0406.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/29/103/0/1

• Like 3

The first step is to strip off all the paint. Then give it a polish.

49423224348_2d0ae2ed51_b.jpg

Then remove any parts that need to be improved or replaced. I will cut away the cockpit 'shelf', do a very simple interior and make a radiator grille - that's about it for new parts. Then have a look through the scrap box to see if any parts are still there.

It would be folly to put too much effort into this but a certain minimum is required. However, without the spare bits from the new Airfix kit I would not be doing this!

• Like 3

• Ed Russell changed the title to Ju87B-2 WNr 0406 Yugoslav Captured

0406 is definitely coming back from the dead.........

Here's the progress so far.

Good news - a search of the scrap box yielded both of the tailplanes and their braces, search of AM box yielded a Yahu panel, which I will swap with another Airfix new tool panel., the spares box yielded a better propeller than the undersized unit on the kit and a spinner I can adapt easily.

49427037411_1b33f76a59_b.jpg

I have started the repair on the flap and butchered the 'shelf' out of the cockpit.

• Like 5

A bit more work on the cockpit - opened it up to take the Airfix clear parts and started to build a basic interior.

49441732613_88edc5fb32_b.jpg

I have several choices for a propeller - none of them look quite right so it's a matter of choosing the least worst.

In the only picture I can find, it looks like the Xtradecals are pretty right - there may be under wing stars but hidden by bombs.

49442205991_812bbca6de_z.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I have several choices for a propeller - none of them look quite right so it's a matter of choosing the least worst.

When I built my D a couple of years ago I used a spare Ju-88 Prop ? If you have one of those it might make for a good replacement ? 

• Like 1

Progress is slow but steady. I was a bit too enthusiastic in removing  the rear fuselage decking but it can be made good with plastic card. The control surfaces are attached and only a little filler is needed.

49479454763_853364706b_b.jpg

49479935706_166339237b_b.jpg

I will need to make a small bomb rack as one seems to have vanished. The dive brakes look more agricultural than the real thing but that is not a priority to fix.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The canopy has been masked and a few small jobs done. I was able to compare the Polish P-mask with the Eduard mask used on 5167. They both work okay. The P-mask is vinyl but much nicer than earlier stiff-as-a-board vinyl masks. They were easy to see and remove and fit well. One did unroll a little but firm pressure has returned it  to the right spot.

49546651336_d24ce38eed_b.jpg

The rear opening is masked with a piece of foam as I didn't want to install it yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have paint and we are ready for decals

49664055007_dff4062d92_b.jpg

The decals are quite okay except the stars are too regular and don't have the 'bloated' look of the crude partisan hand-painting. I might try and touch them up a bit after putting them  on but maybe they will do. Silly me has printed the Werknummer in black instead of white. I want to print stencils for it so will re-do them then.

49664055037_959407c362_b.jpg

They depict the plane as finished and don't have the Luftwaffe codes etc which were later painted over. As I was making codes I included them. They will probably be painted over.

49664055207_09ed6fd4f4_b.jpg

My tight deadline to finish this has evaporated as we have cancelled our overseas travel and Model Expo has been cancelled.

https://www.modelexpo.com.au/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

My tight deadline to finish this has evaporated as we have cancelled our overseas travel and Model Expo has been cancelled.

Hi Ed, Yes we have little excuse for not finishing now with things going very quiet. I think this week I'll be able to get some serious work done on my builds. Ray

• 3 weeks later...

We have decals mostly on. Until doing the new Airfix kit I never realised there was that much stencilling so I will try and replicate it for here.

49719316686_f4311d1448_b.jpg

Definitely in sight of the finish now - just finish the decals, matt coat, unmask and add the last few bits.

• Like 3

The finish line has just moved!

I used P-Masks on this build  and Eduard masks on 5167. If anything the P-masks were easier to put on.

However they were a lot more difficult to remove and when I did remove them, I was surprised to find this..........

49729632332_a34f3454c3_h.jpg

I should have done more research into them as there is information around saying they leave a sticky mess on transparencies. Oddly, some people seem to find them okay and others don't. It wasn't my technique as the Eduard ones, treated in the same manner (plastic, paint, matt finish etc) gave me no problem. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014311-opinions-sought-on-pmask-products/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017648-p-mask-question/&tab=comments#comment-2651480

- especially Post 6 on the second one by @woody37

Water, mild abrasion with fingertip and Future all failed to remove it. Eventually I found 100% ethanol did the trick - and removed the paint. I have contacted Mr P-Mask and I will report back if they reply.

• Sad 3

I'm afraid I use only Eduard masks, when available for the kit or Tamiya tape.

I've had so much trouble and disappointment in the past with vinyl type masks that any that come with a kit, usually from Eastern Europe, get immediately binned.

Unresponsive to curves and angles, prone to lifting, the devils job to remove, and a deposit such as your unfortunate result above, Ed. On one occasion, they had stuck so firmly that they pulled the cockpit off, not such an issue, 'cos at least I could clean the transparency and start again.  

Along with decals, clear parts, especially cockpit canopies, are the making of a model and I don't to have to put up with rubbish like these and similar vinyl masks. In to the bin with 'em !! 

Rog

• Like 1