F172 Avro Shackleton MR3 in the "De Luxe Aircraft" range.

PeterB

So here are the wings and vertical tails. They went together better than expected though I have partially filled the massive gaps caused by the "working" control surfaces. Still a bit of work to do on the sink holes in the ailerons.

DSC01501

I have rubbed the rivets down a bit - I think the wing plastic must be softer than the fuselage as they were easier to reduce. Actually some of the parts are a different shade of grey so maybe more than one type of plastic was used! Once I have finished them I will start on building the inboard engine nacelles, complete with the undercarriage. and add the inboard flaps. I will also need to do a bit of work on the tabs which go into the fuselage as they currently don't fit.

Thanks for your continued interest.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6

Keep going Pete

I know at times like this it feels like the "to do" list is never ending but you are already a good way into this build and its looks the business.

Cheers Pal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pete

I understand the lack of modelling time, what with work, work on the house, Dad's Taxi service etc etc. Can't wait to get some proper modelling time one day!!!

Keep up the good work, the Shack is shaping up.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

I have sorted the sink marks as best I can and fettled the wing tabs so they now fit. I have also started on the inboard nacelles and the good news is that they will not need boxing in. The fit is poor so I need to do some work on them but nothing work taking pics of today. It is getting there slowly. Spent a lot of yesterday watching England slaughter the Aussie cricket team - won't say anything about sandpaper Dave. The car has thrown another wobbler so that at least prevents me for shopping for building materials.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

I have sorted the sink marks as best I can and fettled the wing tabs so they now fit. I have also started on the inboard nacelles and the good news is that they will not need boxing in. The fit is poor so I need to do some work on them but nothing work taking pics of today. It is getting there slowly. Spent a lot of yesterday watching England slaughter the Aussie cricket team - won't say anything about sandpaper Dave. The car has thrown another wobbler so that at least prevents me for shopping for building materials.

Ha!! - I call that Karma. 

So where does this leave your typical Aussie Cricket fan? You can never support the Pom's however hoping the Kiwi's get up is possibly a harder proposition!! 

At least we'll be all asleep while England celebrates so that's got something going for it I suppose? 

Cheers.. Dave   

• Haha 5

Thanks Dave,

Whilst it would be nice to see and English team actually win something for once, I am not holding my breath. They have done pretty well so far but anything could happen. No doubt it was an Englishman who coined the expression "winning is not important - the game's the thing" - well I may officially be English but as a Yorkshireman of course I want to ruddy well win! Time will tell, and in fairness I gather your team was a bit inexperienced as a result of the "trouble with abrasives" or whatever, so reaching the semis was not a bad effort.

Enough - back to abusing plastic.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

I have assembled one of the the inboard nacelles with the undercarriage leg and left the other in bits so you can see it. I have painted the legs and interior diluted white to get a “dirty look” - will give them another coat later I think. Frog have given the main struts quite a slope, possibly too much but it is impossible to tell from pics as the doors get in the way. Anyway it will have to do.

DSC01538-crop

For some reason Frog have made the main gear legs so that if you don't glue them they can fold up into the nacelle - pretty pointless as the doors are not pivoted but it will make them easier to mask when I spray primer on.

The outboard nacelles are being modified to incorporate the Transport Wings resin Viper jet engines which involves cutting away most of the rear of the nacelle and gluing in the Vipers, then adjusting, filling and sanding.

DSC01532-crop

As you can see the conversion set includes the engines which are nicely moulded and include the cone at the front which is just visible at the bottom of the intake. There are a few minor niggles – they have not included the slots the intake door strut retract into, but they can be put on with a fine black pen. More irritating is the lack of any holes or location marks for the white metal struts which hold the door open. Fortunately I have obtained a side-on view of the installation from a walkaround (see below) and will print it out in scale size so I can use it as a template for drilling holes. I may try tacking the struts in place with Humbrol Clearfix so I can adjust them. I will then superglue them – it might work! They will be one of the last items glued on as they are very fragile. Alternatively, if that does not work I can glue them in the closed position but that will need the bottom of the engine reshaping a little to make the recess the doors fitted into. This is what they look like on the real thing.

viper1

viper4

I have allowed an extra 15g in the nose to compensate for the 25g Vipers, and may have to add a little more either in the front of the engines, or in the nose through the glazing holes. I didn't want to overdo it as that would put a considerable load on the gear struts so it will be trial and error to get it just in balance (I hope).

Well progress is being made however slowly - which can also be said for the England cricket team at the moment, though they will probably collapse - unlike the undercarriage hopefully!

Time to start thinking about tea so I will leave it there - next time I hope to have the vipers fitted.

Thanks for your continued interest which is much appreciated.

• Like 5

Having read this lasted post hours after the World Cup has been decided I wouldn’t have thought anyone could have predicted how it would have ended up. Congratulations to England for having the best ODI side now for a number of years so it would have been quite a shame for this talented lot not to walk away with the silverware. Commiserations to the Kiwis for coming so close and probably should have wrapped it all up before it got this far. 

Whoops - Apologies for the thread drift...this Shack is coming on slowly but progress is progress so that’s gotta be good. It will be great to see the major components slapped together and looking like that riveted monster we all know so well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PeterB said:

I have assembled one of the the inboard nacelles with the undercarriage leg and left the other in bits so you can see it. I

DSC01538-crop

For some reason Frog have made the main gear legs so that if you don't glue them they can fold up into the nacelle - pretty pointless as the doors are not pivoted but it will make them easier to mask when I spray primer on.

Pete, I got a bit of inspiration with the similar Airfix Do217 undercarriage legs and made some gear door hings from slim cut silver duct tape - very sticky and very flexible. All very fiddly to get the gear doors wedged shut but I was able to photograph gear up as well as gear down. Now there's a challenge for you.... 😉 Great build, enjoying it immensely, all the best. Mike

• Like 4

Hi Adrian,

Yes it is a bit crude, but then it is really only a more basic version of the intake door seen on a number of VTOL planes to get air into the lift jet I suppose. Good job I am retired or I doubt I would ever get it finished. Talking about Heath Robinson, after I put the inner engine nacelle together I noticed that as Frog had decided to mould the cooling flap open, you could see inside. For one mad moment I was considering fitting engines - copies of the one Revell provided for their ancient Ju 88C that I have in my spares box. Then common sense prevailed and I decided to just paint them - it's not as if I am going to display it at a model show or anything.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Pete, I got a bit of inspiration with the similar Airfix Do217 undercarriage legs and made some gear door hings from slim cut silver duct tape - very sticky and very flexible. All very fiddly to get the gear doors wedged shut but I was able to photograph gear up as well as gear down. Now there's a challenge for you.... 😉 Great build, enjoying it immensely, all the best. Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for that.

I tried something similar back in the late 60's with my B29 or maybe the Halifax, but I used pins as pivots, glued them on to the wheel doors I think, and made "sockets" from scrap plastic in the nacelles. It worked after a fashion, but as I had no superglue in those days the pins soon fell off. I think the only ones with working u/c are the Airfix Anson, Hudson, DC3, B17 and B24, and of course the Revell F111 A/B but they are now all glued down as they kept folding up on their own. It was a good idea  at the time, but only for planes with no separate wheel doors, and usually resulted in an undercarriage with struts missing or other inaccuracies in most cases. The F111 was very complex as I recall.

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

Life would have been so much simpler if I had stuck to the basic Phase 2 kit - decs would have been a perfect match, no messing with Vipers, no Radio Altimeter to scratch build, and the aerials as provided by Frog (well sort of), but I have always rather fancied having Vipers and that meant Phase 3 with all the complications. Still, at my age a challenge is a good thing every once in a while - stops me getting complacent though I need to watch my blood pressure! Well, that's my excuse anyway, though I may just live to regret it. The ruddy intake doors are likely to be a pain, but they will literally be the last thing I do before the finishing coat of varnish. I will take my time as we still have a couple of months left, but once the engines are on the wings it will be mostly a case of painting and decals.

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 3

I forgot I had this picture of a 42 Squadron Shack with Vipers, and guess what - I was wrong, I can fit the nose cannon! The Lincoln can do without a top turret. The one I am doing will be "D" but otherwise identical.

42 shack

If I had looked at this whilst detailing the interior I might have been tempted to put in gun mounts and ammo feeds, but they would not have been visible so too bad! Like the Viper intake doors they will be the last things fitted. Once I get the 162 out of the way I will start again on the Shack's wings, but in the meantime I have decalled the front of one tip of each prop so only 40 more to go. If it ends up looking anything like this I will be a happy modeller.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

Never see canons fitted to these late Mk.3’s or perhaps I’ve never noticed? I think they make Shacketons appear all that more purposeful especially when they are shown in the downward position. I’m wondering if the new Revell kit will include them? 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rayprit said:

If you look hard enough you should find plenty of them, this is just one of many I found on Google.

Thanks - I’m just a perineal page flicker most of the time and will probably take more notice when I actually build a Shack myself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rayprit said:

If you look hard enough you should find plenty of them, this is just one of many I found on Google:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205214783

This is actually XF707, the exact plane that Frog modelled in 1964 in its Phase 2 incarnation as "C" of 206 Squadron. I am modelling the very same machine about 3 years later in its Phase 3 configuration, with Vipers fitted (it was the last to have the installation), by which time it was "D" of 42 Squadron and I had assumed they did not bother fitting the cannon at that late date, but my pic of "F" shows I was wrong. Looks like I will have to make a slight mod to the nose to model the fairings but the Aeroclub Hispanos are perfect. As I mentioned earlier in the build I think Frog were going to mount them then changed their mind, but left a couple of spare "pivots" in the nose. Given what their guns were usually like it is probably as well!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Hi,

Short break whilst I remove 20 cubic foot of compacted soil and stones, bag it and take it up the 18 steps to my garage, where I will put them in the car in several batches and take them to the local tip - sorry "Community Recycling Centre". When I was young and fit it would probably have taken me a day, but now I am in my 70's and knackered it is going to take a bit longer. Once I have recovered I will make a start on this and the Bf 110. Hopefully I should have the engines on and half the prop tips decalled in a week or so. and can get everything primed, in between laying about 5 cubic foot of cement and waiting for it to dry. Then, both the wall and the kits should be finished fairly quickly (I hope).

Thanks for your patience - more as and when.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I got off lightly with having to replaster a chimney breast today then! Good luck with the wall. You might want to point out to Mrs B that beer is an excellent way to rehydrate if you are breaking rocks in the hot sun.

Regards,

Adrian 

Edited by AdrianMF
Got my Clash quote wrong
  • Haha 4

Hi Adrian,

The annoying thing is that the "wall" is only one block high. It partially replaces one that has crumbled away lower down the garden, but SWMBO has decided to move it back a foot to give her a "plinth" to put plant pots on - a sort of terraced effect. This means removing the top row of the existing wall together with a lot of soil behind it, cementing in a 3 to 4inch thick ledge, and then putting the blocks at the back of it. Technically easy but ruddy had work, particularly when all the soil, cement bags and block have to be moved up or down the side of the hill I live on. My joints and back are not good so all this bending and lifting is not pleasant. However, if I don't do it she will have a go herself, which is really not a good idea given her health, so  as the marriage vows go - to love, honour and obey!

Pete

• Like 1

Nice - better than Top Gear 747 blowing a car away! I know props are not that efficient but I suppose contraprops are somewhat better at making use of the combined total of just under 8000 horses, nearer 9000 with methanol & water boost though I doubt they were using that - a real blast from the past!

Edited by PeterB