1/72 Buccaneer S.2D

1 hour ago, Azgaron said:

Very nice work! Looks great!

Cheers Håkan.

24 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a beauty. You've done a cracking job on this kit.  You can't beat a Bucc in EDSG.  

Great work. 

Cheers Chris

Final update and then it's RFI.

IMG_8204.jpg

Topside shot now with seats in, blast screen in, canopy on and top antennaes on, 

IMG_8205.jpg

Another topside shot, this time with the fuel vent in correct position (thanks @Scimitar)

IMG_8211.jpg

IMG_8214.jpg

Underside shot showing more a 'what-if' weapons fit than factual as it seems that this airframe wasn't Martel capable, their was me thinking that all S2D were Martel ready. The came to me fitted with the open bomb bay, so rightly or wrongly, it got some bombs put in it. The chaff/ flare dispensers came fitted, so were staying put but these were apparently not fitted on Navy Buccs? Another thing of note, because the kit wants you to fit the slipper tanks incorrectly over the wing fold, these had to be moved inboard to avoid the fold. This unfortunately left little room for the undercarriage doors to be fitted correctly, so that was best fit...sorry.

IMG_8206.jpg

And a close-up of the cockpit.

Well, what can I say...glad that's all over. Not perfect by any means but it looks like a very nice Buccaneer considering what I started with.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Addition
  • Like 7

Lovely work. Every inch a beloved Bucc, cant mistake that.

With some of the bits already fitted, you have to go with what you've got. It's your model after all.

A couple of background bits though, following on from scimitars post, (just for information).

The AN/ALE 40 dispensers under the jet pipes were only quickly fitted to 12 RAF Buccaneers in 1983. These were for use on Op Pulsator, the air cover for peacekeeping troops in Beirut.

The flare magazine had to go on the stbd dispenser, otherwise flares would be fired past the fuel vent mast!!!!! Chaff was found to get into the radio bay under the tail (aluminium foil and electrical equipment don't mix). So no more aircraft were modded after the event.

Later mod's had the flares aft of the arrestor hook and chaff on the outboard pylons.

XV344 only made it to S2C standard. When the Bucc's all came to the RAF, XV344 became a raspberry ripple trials jet at Boscombe Down, becoming the "Nighthawk" night vision trials airframe.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Lovely work. Every inch a beloved Bucc, cant mistake that.

Cheers Rob. Just shows that you need to research your subject to get an accurate model but even the manufacturers get it wrong, so what hope is their for us mortals.

1 hour ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great job on the Bucc  Stuart- learned a lot following your Wip- thank you.

Cheers, glad I was of some help.

Stuart

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I'll forgive the slight issues as you've done a lovely Buccaneer in 'proper colours' :)

'Nighthawk' next ?

Thanks James, don't think a Nighthawk is on the cards, I have plenty in the stash to get on with.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Can't beat what you've given us here, a lovely Buccaneer

And you have done it really nicely, if mine end up looking this good I will be chuffed

Top marks sir

Thanks Mr P, I took lots from your own Bucc build and I'm sure it'll be as good, if not better than mine.

Stuart

• Like 1

Only just spotted this thread after I saw the link to it from RFI.  I thought the finished model was very good - even more so now I see what you started with!

The only really minor observation I would make - and this isn't addressed at you Stuart - is that there are a fair few references in some of the early posts to Navigators.  Remember, Navy Buccs had Observers (and we're very proud of having kept that title since the very early days of the RNAS)! 

• Like 2