MiG E-152A - 1/72 scale big MiG from Modelsvit

51 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

No Mig 21? That's crazy. :mental:

Hey !!! - I'm Flankerman - not Fishbedman !!!!!

(I have strayed off the sacred path just to make these oddball MiGs - because they appeal to my sense of weirdness)

Ken

• Like 3

Ken, I just started mine and noticed something interesting about the vanes in the intake. You used the PE as shown in the instructions and they fell off - which matches my experience with bits of PE like these. However in the kit there are 4 pieces labelled D10 which look identical to the PE pieces and which do not appear to be used anywhere. I wonder if these are what was originally planned and might stick a little better if used instead.

If you, or anyone else, can comment on this before I get around to using them I would be grateful. After all it doesn't matter what they look like as they are hidden down the intake.

By the way I can confirm your findings about the fit of the cockpit/nose/gear bay assembly. What fun!

John

Hi John,

I too noticed those 'spare' bits of plastic vanes - after I had buttoned everything up.

If I was doing it again, I'd use the plastic parts - despite the fact that they can't be seen.

Show us some photos John - the more, the merrier.

Cheers

Ken

Not much to show so far

cockpit/nose/u/c bay assembly with much scraping away at the sides and bottom. Awaiting inlet ring and guides. I hate complex assemblies like this on limited production kits. It seems one always has to cut stuff away. On their E-150 I fittted all the bits separately as I thought there was no chance of it fitting once assembled. This one looked rather simpler so I chanced it.

Cockpit%20assembly%20mods_zpsu5qv8edg.jp

Bits - Engine nozzles ,seat, fuselage with u/c bays

First%20steps_zps1aqtsgyw.jpg

John

John,

It isn't a tailsitter - so I would advise fitting the belly panel early on - so it can be blended in.

I fitted it last (in case I had to introduce any weights) - and had to make a 'ledge' - and had a bit of a job filling the joints.

And..... those inserts inside the jetpipes - what's that all about ???

Great progress though... :goodjob:

Ken

• Like 1

Very nice model Ken. It is a seriously big plane for a single seater. Some really good Russian stuff coming out these days after I decided to ditch the Russian stuff in a stash cutting exercise. Only ones left are a Yak 38 and 141.

14 hours ago, Flankerman said:

And..... those inserts inside the jetpipes - what's that all about ??

They did cause a raised eyebrow, especially as they consisted of three pieces. I was amazed to find that they fitted without any problems.

Thanks for the warning about the belly panel.

Dry assembly of the fuselage halves once I had trimmed the cockpit revealed a gap in the fairing behind the cockpit. I thought about trimming the bulkhead behind the seat to close it up but then offered up the canopy and it appears that if the gap is closed the canopy will be too big. Did you find this? One of your pictures appears to show filler in that gap.

John

• 1 month later...

My Modelsvit kit is in the mail and somewhere between Hannants en here in Belgium. It was funny to read in my Observers Book of Aircraft 1963 that the Flipper 'was entering squadron service'...but it was impressive in those days when I read about it as a teenager. Thanks for all the modelling tips which make me really want to start building this Ye-152A.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Impressed. I am currently making the MODLESVIT Ye152a and are impressed with your build FLANKERMAN!.  I have been working to get the thinness of the inlet and jet exhausts similar to the prototype, so I have filed them down before assembling the fuselage.  I neglected to get the rear fuselage to fit properly, hence I have to fill some gaps around the exhausts. The cockpit bath fits  OK after shaving it down.  as I have not fitted the  nose wheel box.

Not bothered with the pe inserts around the inlet,  they cannot be seen.

Currently trying to post pictures on this, but are not sure how to add to attachments to this site.

DO I have to post elsewhere and link? 

Just completed the 1/72  MODLELSVI  E152.  (Ye152a)  My latest attempt at spraying silver-based paints. this is tricky!  the slightest flaw shows right up.  Spent a lot of time polishing up the joins etc, but still shows all the flaws. Attempted to  mask and spray different panels different types of Humbrol Enamel Metal Cote and silvers.  I made the kit wheels up, so it looks  a bit strange being photographed.  Complements to Flankerman who did a better job. 

The inlet was filed to make it look thin-walled. The rear fuselage was tricky to get a correct gapless-fit,  fit around the exhausts, I  had to file away some of the tailpipe cylinders to get. a good fit. Took the advice above and removed the front wheel box so the fuselage fitted together. 

First tow pictures show the differing size compared to a Mig21 Bis. (Fujimi 1/72 Kit) 

Ye152_4.JPG

Ye152_3.JPG

This shows the Ye152 sharp inlet surrounds.  I could not apply all the tiny transfers, as they were just too small for me to do. Kit transfer quality was very good,  Looking at the pictures in 'Soviet X Planes"  ISBN:  11-8750-099-0.  Midland Pub.  Page . 108/9 and 229, the model kit appears to be quite a good representation. There was no production aircraft,  but I used spare Fujimi  Mig21 Bis, transfers to make fictious sqadron markings for 1960's  Migs.    The Ye152 was dubbed Mg 23 in the West, thought to be in squadron service, so , at long last,... it is! 

Ye152_1.JPG

Ye152_6.JPG

• Like 2