Xtrakit 1/72 Hawker Hunter T.7 - XF321 RAE Bedford 1980-84 ++FINISHED++

Looks amazing John. Great job. I am really enjoying following this build. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark. I am glad that your enjoying it. Because of a break in the weather, I managed to mask off the pylons and sprayed some red on the underwing tanks, just a some final details like aerials etc..and that should wrap things up.

Photo of underwing tanks, I still have to add the fins to these.

DSC00976_zpszhtneeef.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks a lot H.

Just to go of topic a bit, I'm going to try and get a parcel of some spare railway engine bits off to you this week bud. I've got the jiffy bag just have to put them together.

• Like 1

Thanks John, really kind of you dude.

Are you off to the Vingette GB next?

Sure am mate and I hope to do something railway related there. I also hoped to do something in GPW GB but with the Airliner GB coming up too not sure if I will get time for that, but we will see how things go.

• Like 2

Almost there with this now, I've added the Master pitot and painted the anti-glare panel and the area on the fin with Citadel Abaddon Black. Just a few more bits such as a couple of aerials along the spine and I might look to scratching a light that also sits on the spine.

After checking the few photos that I have been able to find of XF321 in the RAE's Raspberry Ripple scheme, I noticed that the pylons on the drop tanks should be red, the reason for me leaving them white remains a mystery. Anyway this has now been corrected and I have added the stencils to the tanks, so they are now good to go.

Whilst I think about it, does anyone have a good reference for stencil placement on the Hunter? The instructions in the kit are in B&W and being A5 size the profiles are miniscule, so not much help really. I know that those over the blue should be white and, for this area, I intend leaving the kit items off, but I would like to try and add some of the others to the red and white areas where possible.

Anyway here's a couple of update photos..

DSC00980_zpsptk3ih9m.jpg

DSC00977_zpsiur5zx7h.jpg

DSC00981_zpsukivhgdv.jpg

It's OK folks, just found a stencil placement diagram in my copy of Hunter Modellers Data File.​

Edited by nimrod54
  • Like 3

Catching up again John, just beautiful stuff.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Vignette GB.

Thanks Cookie, I should get it wrapped up for Sunday.

As for the Vignette GB, I can't wait to see what I come up with as well. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi John,

your build is plain excellent! Every single color you are using is a tricky one, but in this case the final result is outstanding.

Most spectacular model!!!

JR

• Like 1

​Thanks a lot for the generous comments chaps. I have managed to make a start on adding a few stencils today and I am just using those that are available in the kit. This has been a bit of slow process because I have had to use a magnifying glass to identify the wording on the stencil, then refer to the placement diagram that I am using to identify the location, and the final step in the process is deciding if it will show on the background colour once in position.

With hindsight I guess it may have been better not to add any rather than have the hotchpotch affair that it could end up being. But I am having fun doing it and, as far as I am concerned, that is all that matters.

• Like 1

Looking really smart John, even if the decals are giving you grief.

Cheers H, I've finished adding the stencils that I feel will be seen on the background colour, the model is now drying after having a coat of satin varnish brushed on. Once dry I'll take another few photos before I start to add the bits that are easily knocked off.

• Like 1

Just a quick photo update before ! add the delicate details and take the final shots for the gallery. The stencils are on and sealed in with a satin coat of acrylic varnish and I have added the fins to the under wing tanks, not a lot of change really. One final thing that I want to do is make a support for the canopy which will be open, I still have to find something suitable for this.

DSC00997_zpswnpiicao.jpg

DSC00996_zps1vzkaw3b.jpg

DSC00995_zpsrro46gge.jpg

• Like 2

I added the last few bits to this over the course of the day so I'm calling this one finished. I don't do weathering very well, which is fortunate in this case because RAE's aircraft are generally pretty clean, so this one is the same.

A couple of photos here and I will post more in the gallery later.

DSC01000_zpse2y7jk6r.jpg

DSC01001_zpsejnaizy4.jpg

Thanks to Col for overseeing this GB and for all the tips and especially the airbrake advice for my build. There are still lots of great models near to completion and I hope that they make it over to the gallery.

Whilst it has been a challenge, I've enjoyed building this T.7 and, when searching for something to make for the GPW group build, I stumbled across a Revell 1/72 F.6 so I'm not done with Hunters yet.

I may build that later in the year so keep watching the RFI section.

• Like 3

Cheers Cookie, considering the way things went when I started out, I am happy with the way this has gone. Over in the GPW group build now playing around something in 1/144th scale.

Thanks for a fantastic build. I was a pleasure to follow and the finished result looks amazing. Top job mate :thumbsup:

Cheers Mark, I'm glad that you have enjoyed the journey and thanks for your support along the way.

• Like 1

Outstanding finish John!

She looks absolutely gorgeous in these colors. Congratulations!!!

And what you call a "slow" build, is lightning fast for me...

Superb!

JR

• Like 1