Xtrakit 1/72 Hawker Hunter T.7 - XF321 RAE Bedford 1980-84 ++FINISHED++

Thanks a lot for the comments chaps.

I am just giving the paint time to harden up and then I can mask off for the touch ups before a gloss coat goes on. There is still work to do on the underwing tanks prior to them receiving a coat of red, and I have assembled the undercarriage legs and they now need some silver colour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on adding the decals but I still have to add those underneath. Then some work on the coaming before I add the seats and canopy. The main undercarriage legs are painted ready to go but the wheels all have to have the tyre colour on. It's coming together now though.

DSC00820_zpsha80qtil.jpg

DSC00818_zpsopi354jm.jpg

• Like 5

Hi John,

now your model is coming alive! Amazing what a few decals can do!!!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Hi John,

now your model is coming alive! Amazing what a few decals can do!!!

Cheers

JR

Thank you Jean and as you rightly say, the decals do start to make a difference to a model, so in the immortal words of Colin Clive "It's Alive! It's Alive!" (​Frankenstein, 1931). Although this could have been a horror to build, it's not quite a monster.

• Like 1

John, I am impressed with your cinematographic erudition! Where I am, one doesn't meet too many movie aficionados hiding behind baobabs... A crying shame, really!

Cheers

JR

John, I am impressed with your cinematographic erudition! Where I am, one doesn't meet too many movie aficionados hiding behind baobabs... A crying shame, really!

Cheers

JR

Hardly an aficionado Jean, but I do like watching early films. I find classic slapstick very funny and love to watch Laurel and Hardy films. I have several Ealing comedies on DVD and a few from one of your fellow countrymen Jacques Tati (Jour de fête, Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot and Mon Oncle). The flagpole scene from Jour de fête has to be one of my favourites and always has me laughing.

• Like 1

Hardly an aficionado Jean, but I do like watching early films. I find classic slapstick very funny and love to watch Laurel and Hardy films. I have several Ealing comedies on DVD and a few from one of your fellow countryman Jacques Tati (Jour de fête, Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot and Mon Oncle). The flagpole scene from Jour de fête has to be one of my favourites and always has me laughing.

John, you should tell this to my wife, who hates anything remotely black and white!!! Likewise, she thinks I am a moron when I roll with laughter at a Laurel and Hardy comedy. As far as Tati is concerned, he is one of my heroes, and Jour de fete is a milestone! And there is NOTHING wrong with slapstick!!!!!

Great minds think alike!

• Like 1

John, you should tell this to my wife, who hates anything remotely black and white!!! Likewise, she thinks I am a moron when I roll with laughter at a Laurel and Hardy comedy. As far as Tati is concerned, he is one of my heroes, and Jour de fete is a milestone! And there is NOTHING wrong with slapstick!!!!!

Great minds think alike!

Jean, I think it must be a Venus and Mars thing, my wife is the same when it comes to black and white films, although she does like Laurel and Hardy.

I have been making steady progress with this build and today the seats have gone in and the Freightdog wheels and nose undercarriage leg ahve been painted up. I have had a look at the cockpit reflectors and I will have to make a couple of cut outs in the coaming to accept these, something that I should have checked before painting this up. :doh: I also want see if I can make some of the undercarriage door link struts before/during adding these to the legs and airframe.

DSC00838_zpskrjbrjam.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

• Like 5

HT, thanks for the reminder. I had read the fit comment for this area by some previous builders of this kit but forgot to check. Needless to say I have had to gently pry the seats out and refit them, the canopy fits nicely now.

The other area that has seemed to be an issue for previous builders is the canopy screen, reports say that this fouls on the two reflector sights. I'm not sure if this is due to these being incorrectly fitted to the top of the coaming though. From photos I have seen, it looks as if this should sit flush with the coaming and the reflector glass above this, hence the reason that I feel the need to cut a couple of slots in the coaming to accommodate these.

Cheers again for your help bud.

No probs. Ah yes, I 'slotted' these in position, whether right or wrong on the coaming. they look 'ok' but you are probably right and need to cut a slot out to ensure the glass is above the coaming and the rest below. They are fiddly little buggers.

• 2 weeks later...

Having decided that the kit supplied resin parts bear little resemblance to the Gyroscopic Gun Sight (GGS) fitted to the Hunter, I set about scratching some replacements.

For these I have used some square stock, plastic strip and plastic rod, the first job was to drill a hole in a piece of strip and this had a small section of strip inserted to represent what I think is an indicator of some kind, Photo Link not totally accurate but OK for this scale and much better than the kit item. This was then glued to the front of some square stock plastic. I then drilled two 0.5mm holes in another section of strip and this was glued to the top and the more prominent bumps and bulges were created using strip and rod. After a coat of black paint a reflector glass was made from a small piece of acetate and this was fixed in position.

I now have to carry out little mod on the coaming to accommodate these bits before I can start to fit the canopy.

Photo of the kit supplied resin item, the shape and some confusing fit instructions prompted the need for replacements.

DSC00879_zpsxxxh5wna.jpg

The scratch replacements (one complete and one under construction), not 100% but good enough for 1/72nd.

DSC00881_zps1jvxjlrz.jpg

• Like 3

Completed the two GGS earlier today and I have just finished fitting them in the cockpit, I also kept a check on the forward canopy section to make sure that nothing was fouling. Lots of fiddly little jobs, like painting the underwing tanks, masking and painting the canopy and undercarriage door fit, to do now before I can call this one finished

DSC00930_zpswkgrbw2e.jpg

• Like 2

Sloooow progress made this week. I did manage to get the canopy masked up and sprayed. The windscreen is fixed in position and the raised section just floats at the moment I will probably fix this in the raised position, but the canopy is clear enough to see the interior detail if it's closed. I've added the undercarriage too because I need to determine the length for some of the door struts that I would like to add.

DSC00949_zpsqbjaogvi.jpg

DSC00952_zpsn8lbdepu.jpg

• Like 4