Rothmans Porsche 956 in the pits ( adapted from the Tamiya 1/24 kit )

Borez

Well, I'm really glad you didn't bin it!! I can't honestly say I can see an improvement to the extinquisher, as I thought it looked brilliant before - & I think it looks brilliant now too!

Cockpit & engine bay both look fantastic!

Keith

Thanks mate, I appreciate that ;)

Borez I think you have taken scale modelling to a new level with this build, at this point in a build I will look back at pictures from the beginning just to see how far I have bung a heap of plastic I dare say if you did that you would faint with how far and how much you have improved on what I would consider a good out of the box kit.

Shaun

• Like 1

Borez I think you have taken scale modelling to a new level with this build, at this point in a build I will look back at pictures from the beginning just to see how far I have bung a heap of plastic I dare say if you did that you would faint with how far and how much you have improved on what I would consider a good out of the box kit.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, it's definitely turned into a labour of love ( and sometimes not ) this model. There's still a way to go on it yet though, I haven't really started on the rear end.

It's like a personal experiment into patience and calm for me, and I've never been one for patience, at all. But that's the bit I'm loving to be honest. There's just absolutely no rush.

Trouble is though I'm like, what the hell am I going to build when this is finished? I think though it's going to have to be a 1/24th MFH Gulf 917K. Pricey those things though.

• Like 1

I understand what you mean it's sort of a free therapy, well not free as such as most of the stuff costs an awful lot now.

That mfh 917 may be pricey but I can vouch for how good the products they make are, I have a few mfh kits now and can't wait to start them but personally I am waiting to see if any group builds pop up that they may fit into

Shaun

• Like 1

I think though it's going to have to be a 1/24th MFH Gulf 917K. Pricey those things though.

Seeing what you've shown us you can do to improve an elderly Tamiya Porsche, why not use those fantastic scratch building skills you have to do the same to a Fujimi 917? I for one would love to see what you'd do with one of those!

Keith

• Like 1

Seeing what you've shown us you can do to improve an elderly Tamiya Porsche, why not use those fantastic scratch building skills you have to do the same to a Fujimi 917? I for one would love to see what you'd do with one of those!

Keith

I've actually thought about this Keith but that framework would be damn tricky without getting hold of some proper plans for the car. I know Hayes do a workshop manual though so that could help and I do know there are third party resin engines for the car and PE parts too.

I actually missed out on a bundle of the Fujimi model, a resin engine and 2 sets of different PE parts on ebay the other week when I was outbid. :(

I really fancy having a go at an MFH kit though.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

Today has been distributor wiring day.

I basically couldn't drill the microscopic caps supplied ( it just wasn't happening ) so I tried another route of using Micro Krystal Klear to make the plugs by basically moulding the stuff with a cocktail stick until it resembled a plug

I will add that the cylinders are all wired in the correct firing sequence too thanks to the engine manual I have.

Here it is before it dried ( the white blobs )

IMG_2745.jpg

And here it is finished and painted with Nato black ( for the rubber colour )

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

Paint needs a touch up, but otherwise I'm happy.

Also washed the exhausts to get the colour right

Half way through

IMG_2754.jpg

And completed ( I think ) Took about 10 washes to bring it down to this from the original burnt metal Alcad which is pretty much a light gold.

IMG_2780.jpg

And a wash on the turbos

IMG_2783.jpg

And some pre-plumbing on the fuel filters.

IMG_2746.jpg

A shot next to a 5p coin so you can get an idea of the scale.

IMG_2790.jpg

Also bought some of those mini cable ties today so I can keep the wiring and plumbing tidy too.

And that's it for today, Ms Borez is on her way back from her Yoga retreat and I'm working all weekend so not sure I'll get back to this until next Monday. We'll see,

Thanks for looking... again ;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

Very good "fine work " there Borez.

That engine looks a dream mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Well I really have Susumu ( the upgrade builder ) to thank for that, his detailing is pretty amazing truth be told.

I'm also watching him build the rear suspension and gearbox upgrade on Facebook ( which I'll also be purchasing once it's finished in a few weeks or so ) The guy takes scratch-building to another level. Just the skill level of this man. :blink:

• Like 1

Get those turbos & exhaust on, drop some oil in & I bet she'll start first time!!

I love your inventiveness too Borez, Krystal Klear to make distributor cap plugs? Who'd a thunk it...??!! :speak_cool:

Great stuff!

Keith

• Like 1

Just a small update, been fitting the injector wires at the top of the injector assembly this evening that will eventually feed all the way into the Motronic These are made from 28AWG wire which I think is 0.2mm thick if I remember correctly.

IMG_2806.jpg

I've stopped now though as my eyes are tired.

;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

That looks really nice - love the attention to detail nothing to small!

Roger

Thanks Roger, the ones on the other side of the injectors are a little more tricky to place but I might have an experiment with some low temp solder paste to solder them onto the wire that runs along the top of the injector assembly so it can be placed onto the injector assembly as one unit.

Obviously I'll be soldering them as one part and well away from the engine itself. ( Or it would just turn in into a blob of plastic :fraidnot: )

I already have a precision temp adjustable soldering iron from when I was building e-cig box mods and I've ordered some paste from ebay so I'll give it a go at least.

It may however turn into a complete melt-fest at this scale with 28AWG wire so we'll see but I am using vaping wire which is designed to take heat ;)

• Like 1

So managed to get a few hours in on this today.

So some tricky AN fittings and braid ( I've stopped the lens wide open to highlight just the part on the left here )

Still have the one on the right hand side to do.

IMG_2822.jpg

Some pipeclips and detailing on one of the Turbos.

IMG_2829.jpg

Fuel filters are installed but not fully plumbed yet

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

All coming together slowly slowly.

There's a awful lot of plumbing and wiring on this engine. Worth the effort though.

Thanks for looking in. :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 4

Productive day after being away on tour for a few days.

The oil tank ( attached to framework ) with various scratched inlet and outlet fixings primed, undercoated in gloss black and ready for a coat of Alclad polished aluminium tomorrow

Tried my hand at some weld lines on this so we'll see how they come out once painted. Also nice to have a larger AN fitting that's easy to drill into and fix for once.

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

One side of the turbos, wastegate and exhaust system.

IMG_2959.jpg

Paint needs touching up though.

IMG_2963.jpg

I've actually lost one of the small exhausts so I may have to contact Susumu in Japan for a replacement when I buy the rear suspension upgrade. ( it fell between floorboards so it's gone for good :banghead: )

And some gloss black undercoat on the wheels

IMG_2947.jpg

Also did a little more plumbing on the engine.

And that's it really, I've kinda moved over to 2 part epoxy resin for a lot of these parts as I'm actually starting to hate superglue. The fuel filter I placed the other day came lose and I just thought... enough!

It's just brittle nasty stuff that leaves that horrid cloudy residue and has a tendency to break off with the slightest knock ( but we all already know this right. ;) )

The epoxy is so much easier to work with, the finished bond much stronger and there's non of that horrid residue that seems ( with me at least ) to appear everywhere. It's just a little more work really but worth the effort.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

So my little oil tank turned out quite nicely.

Weld lines are a little suspect but I can work on that. I'm sure someone would have been sacked for welding this badly :chair:

It's more a case of finding the right material to make them with, I tried Krystal Klear here but it won't fold like a proper weld as it's drying.

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

Anyway some good news today, Susumu ( the engine upgrade builder ) has released his gearbox and suspension upgrade so I have one on its way to me from Japan + the exhaust part I lost.

Never thought I'd be this excited over a few bits of plastic. :thumbsup:

I got him to send me the instructions so I can make a start on hacking the gearbox apart to take the upgrade.

All good.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

You're obviously a much neater worker than me, whenever I try to stick things with epoxy, they usually end up immoveably stuck in completely the wrong place covered in sticky glue strings...!!

More very neat work Borez, can't wait to see the gearbox & suspension bits put to good use!

Keith

• Like 1

You're obviously a much neater worker than me, whenever I try to stick things with epoxy, they usually end up immoveably stuck in completely the wrong place covered in sticky glue strings...!!

More very neat work Borez, can't wait to see the gearbox & suspension bits put to good use!

Keith

Just absolutely tiny bits on a cocktail stick seems to do the job + for me it gives me the time to get things in place whereas superglue is instant. I've worked with 2 part epoxy before though on the e-cig box mods I used to make so I'm used to it. Never really considered it for modelling though but found some in the drawer and decided to give it a go.

• Like 1

For weld lines I've heard of people running glue around where they want the weld and using very very thin plastic rod like a welding rod. I.e pushing it into the glueing and moving on round until they are happy with it. I've only ever seen it done on a 1/10 scale car so don't know how well it'd work or look on a 1/24.

And I vote epoxy all the way with resin. Super glue is just pants. I really have no idea how people build whole resin kits with the stuff without it all just coming apart with a light knock lol.

I really should get back to the resin ferrari I was building :(

Anyway keep up with the good work. I'm speechless most of the time lol.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing
  • Like 1

For weld lines I've heard of people running glue around where they want the weld and using very very thin plastic rod like a welding rod. I.e pushing it into the glueing and moving on round until they are happy with it. I've only ever seen it done on a 1/10 scale car so don't know how well it'd work or look on a 1/24.

And I vote epoxy all the way with resin. Super glue is just pants. I really have no idea how people build whole resin kits with the stuff without it all just coming apart with a light knock lol.

I really should get back to the resin ferrari I was building :(

Anyway keep up with the good work. I'm speechless most of the time lol.

Ashley

Thanks a bunch Ashley. I found a thread this afternoon that Imster did when he was building his NSR500. He was using Mr Surfacer 500, forming it into little sausages and then working the weld in with a 45degree metal edge. I've ordered some to try it out.

I think that's what I've been looking for.

• Like 2

Hmm sounds like an interesting technique as well. If only I have a kit that requires weld lines lol.

With regards to this engine kit. Do you think it would be suitable for a 961 build? I've been thinking about cross kitting tamiyas 959 and 961 kits to get a full detailed one. And as far as I'm aware they used the engines from the 956 or was it the 962?

Ashley

• Like 1

Hmm sounds like an interesting technique as well. If only I have a kit that requires weld lines lol.

With regards to this engine kit. Do you think it would be suitable for a 961 build? I've been thinking about cross kitting tamiyas 959 and 961 kits to get a full detailed one. And as far as I'm aware they used the engines from the 956 or was it the 962?

Ashley

I have no idea what's in a 961truth be told, I had a look at some pics but couldn't get a clear view of the engine. It's looks like there may be a 956/962 lump ( or specifically the 935 engine as it's known ) in there somewhere but that's where it seems to stop.

A better place to ask would be the 956/962 Appreciation Society on Facebook, some of the bods on there will tell you everything there is to know about this engine in detail.

I do also know Susumu is building the all water cooled 962 engine as well but I wouldn't expect that to be on sale for a long time yet.

Edited by Borez

It's definitely the type 935 engine but I can never remember whether it was the 956 or 962 version they used. I do have a book but it's complete inaccuracies regarding the 1985 Dakar 959's calls it into question for me.

Ashley