Rothmans Porsche 956 in the pits ( adapted from the Tamiya 1/24 kit )

Borez

So today some work on the tub. Seat and harness and now fixed, fire extinguisher bottle is fixed and plumbed, gear level is fixed and painted.

Some pics:

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2547-Edit.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

And one of the pedals that will never be seen again once the shell is on

IMG_2566.jpg

And a couple of pics of a test fit of the shell looking in.

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

Next job will be scratching and wiring the Motronic.

Bit of a revelation today in the fact I've discovered you can glue braided wire AN joints using Micro Krystal Klear and it forms a much more flexible joint than using CA superglue. Also in a test fit I've discovered that this can also then be painted to form nice little plugs which may be exactly what I need for the distributor cap wiring and those tiny plugs I just can't seem to drill out.

I'm actually starting to hate CA and that horrid cloudy coating it leaves behind though, it's just an awful necessity.

Right, I have a Chili to cook for tea.

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

That looks superb Borez! The only small gripe I have is with the harnesses. They look terrific, but to my eyes p.e. harnesses often don't look to hang naturally. Real ones are actually quite 'heavy' and drape themselves onto the seat back. But that really is nitpicking, because it all really does look stunning!

Keith

• Like 1

That looks superb Borez! The only small gripe I have is with the harnesses. They look terrific, but to my eyes p.e. harnesses often don't look to hang naturally. Real ones are actually quite 'heavy' and drape themselves onto the seat back. But that really is nitpicking, because it all really does look stunning!

Keith

Actually when I think about it you're right on this, I wanted them to stand off a little to get a more 3D look but it makes sense ( them being material and all ) to drape onto the seats.

They will bend into the seat though no problem at all. I shall reposition, :)

• Like 2

Today I scratched the Bosch Motronic ( decal is still wet here )

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

And installed in the tub

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

And a little artistic licence with the decal :)

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-23%20at%2001.05.

LoL I just realised that I've spelt definitely wrong. :banghead:

It's late, I'm off to bed

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

I deffinatelly don't think anyone will ever notice...!! :D

Brilliant stuff again Borez, I'm certain this will be one of the best detailed (& built) Porkers that we'll have seen, your attention to detail (ok, except in the spelling department :P ) is outstanding! And that label really is excellent!

Lovely work!

Keith

• Like 1

I deffinatelly don't think anyone will ever notice...!! :D

Brilliant stuff again Borez, I'm certain this will be one of the best detailed (& built) Porkers that we'll have seen, your attention to detail (ok, except in the spelling department :P ) is outstanding! And that label really is excellent!

Lovely work!

Keith

Thanks Keith, I've also re-set the belts so they're now draping and not standing off the seat ;)

Edited by Borez

This afternoon I've been fitting the alternator and cooling fan belts made from tiny cuts of vinyl masking tape.

By far the trickiest thing I've done on this engine yet, my eyes were actually watering at one point. Especially considering that once the engine is in the car they'll never be seen again.

Anyway they're done.

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

Also been spraying the exhausts and turbos ready to assemble. ( the exhausts are not the final colour yet, they need some extra washes )

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

Ms Borez is also away on a yoga retreat for the week so plenty of time to get on here. :thumbsup:

And that's it for this afternoon really. ;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

This afternoon I've been fitting the alternator and cooling fan belts made from tiny cuts of vinyl masking tape.

By far the trickiest thing I've done on this engine yet, my eyes were actually watering at one point. Especially considering that once the engine is in the car they'll never be seen again.

Is that what they call dedication...??!! They do look good, glad you took some piccies of them!

Keith

• Like 1

Great work on the engine Borez, as you said, it will be a shame when some of the detail cannot be seen.

But at least you know it`s there.

Simon.

Yep you're right, I'd have been disappointed with myself if I'd skipped the belts. Even if they won't be seen.

• Like 3

So today I've been scratching the front brake ducts. PTFE tape wrapped around wire, sprayed orange and then dirtied up a bit:

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

And fitted.

Also fitted the front disc brakes too ( the body and tub are just placed and not fitted properly yet, there's still work to do on them. )

IMG_2700.jpg

A few more shots:

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

And that's it for today. I've snapped my 0.5mm and 0,4mm drill bits ( closing the damn case of all things ) so I'm waiting for new ones and a couple of Tamiya paints to get on with the engine.

Thanks for looking in ;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

Those ducts look great Borez . :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know how you feel about drills breaking, I snapped my .3 mm the other day, annoying but it happens.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, it's not helping that everyone on ebay says they're in stock but when you order you get a message saying: I'm sorry these won't be available for another two weeks. Event though you've already paid them. :fraidnot:

I guess there factory in China is behind with the orders or something. :)

• Like 1

Have you tried Drill Bits Unlimited?

Ian

I haven't no, they look like they're in the US though so by the time they get here I might as well wait ;)

Edited by Borez

So... I had an utter disaster late last night.

I'd been fitting the engine heat-shielding to the undertray and as I was standing up from my chair my shirt caught on the cockpit assembly, flung it across the room, into the wall and smashed it into a hundred pieces. :wall:

Luckily most of my scratch work survived along with the seat, racing harness, a lot of the AN joint work, braided wire plumbing, Motronic and electrics but, I'm afraid, the fire extinguisher systems took one for the team and didn't survive. It was ruined. :raincloud:

After hunting around the room for 40 mins looking for all the bits I went to bed pretty p***ed off last night to say the least.

So today has been spent rebuilding the whole thing.

The upside of this though ( and there is an upside ) is that I learned from the mistakes I made on the last one and managed to get the extinguisher system looking a lot cleaner. Especially the fixing straps.

So here it is again ( new and improved )

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

Not glad that it happened as it's been a PITA to fix, but glad it turned out OK in the end :clap2:

Here's a pic of the heat-shielding too on both sides of the engine in a test fitting before it all went tits up. ( I'm going to take some of the sheen off it with a wash, it's a bit too shiny at the moment ) The turbos and exhausts will be over the top of this.

IMG_2733.jpg

And that's it for today really.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

Looking grand Borez.

You did a great save on the cockpit mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The heat shielding looks damn good, what did you use ?

Simon.

I used the covering from the inside of a tub of Bertolli spread.

I'm sure that's what Porsche used too back in the day. Obviously from bigger tubs ;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 4

Well, I'm really glad you didn't bin it!! I can't honestly say I can see an improvement to the extinquisher, as I thought it looked brilliant before - & I think it looks brilliant now too!

Cockpit & engine bay both look fantastic!

Keith

• Like 1