Rothmans Porsche 956 in the pits ( adapted from the Tamiya 1/24 kit )

Borez

This afternoons bits and pieces.

Fire suppressant tank and straps for the tub ( straps will be tighter in the proper fit ) + Heinzmann decal I knocked up for it on photoshop. Really need to work on the resolution of the decal here though ( if it's possible with my printer? )

IMG_2043.jpg

Also some aluminium banding on the fuel injector filter

IMG_2050.jpg

And then my scratch built fuel pumps ( also for the tub ) had to build a makeshift jig just to glue in the tiny braided wiring. Still finding it almost impossible to drill out hose joints at this size so I'm having to glue on the braid. Any tips are most welcome here? I'll paint the joints later tonight.

IMG_2067.jpg

The wiring and plumbing guide I bought for the 959 engine is teaching me so much about how this cars systems actually work, it's a goldmine of information.

OK, time to make some food for me and Ms Borez ;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

Today was decal day and I must admit these have taken me since 9am this morning, its now 6.30.

Because I've basically cut up the bodywork and the decals are for the complete car it was an utter PITA trying to work out where and how to cut these things so they worked out properly. Especially the inner stripes that run though the doors, around under the wind shield and onto the front of the car. They were naughty to work out and cut, and then some.

The Shunko decals are really nice though , not too thick and they peel off the backing after only a few seconds in cold water. One thing I learned very early on though was that my usual technique of applying microset and sol with a paint brush does not work with these decals, it'll start to take little pieces of the paint off the decals and deposit them on the model ( not a good look at all ) especially with the blue and gold.

Changing up to cotton buds and being very gentle and patient solved the problem though. I thought I was in for a right mess and a horrid day to be honest as these decals also seem to break apart easily.

All they need is some TLC though and they go on beautifully.

Anyway they're done so some pics ( the sun came out just as I'd finished :) )

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2166_1.jpg

Now she's looking like a car.

One more proper 2K coat and that's the body pretty much done.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

A long time well spent Borez.

Lovely job on those decals mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: .

Must of been a pain in the rear to fit, especially aligning the striping etc.

Well done mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, yeah these are by far the trickiest decals I've done yet, especially bending the stripes over the edges of the bodywork whilst aligning them over the curves. Not easy by any stretch of the imagination. One of those where you put them on, apply some microsol and just walk away for a bit until it's done its job as any kind of interaction ( and it is so tempting to get impatient and keep poking them around ) will just have them breaking up all over the shop.

I screwed one of the Porsche decals up ( never put masking tape over decals to cut them lol! ) and had to use one of the decals from the original ebay set I bought and I must admit they were a lot thicker so actually trying to do those stripes with these decals would have been a nightmare waiting to happen. Dodged a bullet there.

Kinda relieved this job is done to be honest, It's been a long old day ;)

• Like 1

Did some work into the night on the car. The engine has had a capillary wash to bring out the detail too.

Wired the plugs

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

My only issue here really is how to wire up to the distributor. The kit comes with distributor caps, but try as I might ( I've even had them in a fly tying vice ) they're just too small to drill out and I fear gluing them on will just result in a superglue gunkfest without the holes drilled, So basically I have some 1mm black tube on its way which I'm going to glue onto the points and then feed in the wires so they look look like caps.

Hopefully this will look half decent.

IMG_2190.jpg

Also my Heinzmann decal worked out quite nicely on the fire extinguisher bottle ( got the photoshop resolution up a bit and set the printer to highest quality. )

IMG_2191.jpg

The fuel injector pumps are now installed in the tub too ( anodised paint needs a clean up ) just need to add the fuel filter that sits on the floor, the extinguisher system, the scratch built Motronic itself and the PE parts and that side of the tub will be done.

IMG_2091.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

My only issue here really is how to wire up to the distributor. The kit comes with distributor caps, but try as I might ( I've even had them in a fly tying vice ) they're just too small to drill out and I fear gluing them on will just result in a superglue gunkfest without the holes drilled, So basically I have some 1mm black tube on its way which I'm going to glue onto the points and then feed in the wires so they look look like caps.

How about drilling the distributor cap at a smaller size and then inserting a small length of pin or wire into the hole? Then perhaps you could push/glue the ignition wire tubing on to this stub for a good connection rather than trying to fit it in to the cap itself?

• Like 2

How about drilling the distributor cap at a smaller size and then inserting a small length of pin or wire into the hole? Then perhaps you could push/glue the ignition wire tubing on to this stub for a good connection rather than trying to fit it in to the cap itself?

The trouble is Kirk the ignition wire is actually 0.4mm wire and not tubing so I can't insert anything down the middle. In retrospect I think I might have chosen 0.4mm black tubing and not wire for the job and pinned it like you say ( it would have been far easier to feed too ) but it's all glued into the plugs now.

In the kit instructions you need to drill out all six of the tiny plugs in both ends and push them onto the distributor cap and then feed in the wires but I just can't get them to drill, they're way too small. I mean, they're difficult to pick up with tweezers never mind trying to hold and drill at the same time.

I just photographed the caps with a macro lens next to a pin so you can have a look, they're utterly tiny. The missing two I've already tried to drill out ( there's two spare ) and failed miserably :(

IMG_2194.jpg

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

That's great work there, sir. I think scratching the detail is actually most of the fun. I'd rather detail up one kit in the time it takes to make three out-of-the-box.

Nick

I'm with you there Nick, I'd like to try a MFH kit but there's not a lot to Tamiya 1/24 models straight out of the box to be honest.

Edited by Borez

Blimey, them plugs is SMALL!

It was already an order of magnitude beyond my skill, so the best I can do at this point is try to empathise. As regards holding, perhaps they could be squashed into a lump of blu-tac? Then you could pop that into the post (along with beer tokens) to someone with nano-skills like Steve Fritag and wait for perfectly drilled parts to be returned?

Kirk

• Like 1

Blimey, them plugs is SMALL!

It was already an order of magnitude beyond my skill, so the best I can do at this point is try to empathise. As regards holding, perhaps they could be squashed into a lump of blu-tac? Then you could pop that into the post (along with beer tokens) to someone with nano-skills like Steve Fritag and wait for perfectly drilled parts to be returned?

Kirk

Ha! I've already tried blu-tac, they just twist out ;)

• Like 1

How about something a bit thicker - plasticine?

Just as a matter of interest, what are you drilling with that can pull it out of blu-tac? I don't think my pin vice would exert that much torque...

Just a miniature hand drill ( pin vice ) the issue is that the pieces are so small.

Edited by Borez

A couple of small bits of extra detailing

Cut up some aluminium baking tray into strips and glued onto the underside of the air intakes

IMG_2254.jpg

Then wrapped them around to create some hose clamps

IMG_2267.jpg

Just adds a nice bit of detail that you can see in the real car. ( I'll squash the bands on a little more in the final fit )

IMG_2280.jpg

Then installed the fuel pumps and filter in the tub ( probably could have got this neater, but it's all scratch-built so I'm happy )

There's also PE sills to install that will cover up the marks in my scratch-built sills. Also gave the AN joints a coat of Klear.

IMG_2263.jpg

And that's it for now really, all coming together slowly slowly.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

Been away working for the weekend but before I get my teeth into this again through the week I couldn't resist a test fit of some of the work so far to get an overall feel for the model.

Some pics:

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

Susumu ( the guy who made the engine upgrade ) is also in the process of making a rear end suspension and gearbox upgrade which obviously I'll be purchasing and adding to the model, but this won't be available for another month so plenty of time to get the engine and tub wired, plumbed and looking nice.

Tomorrow will be the final 2K on the bodywork and some detailing work.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 5

Couple of detail bits.

Front disc brake and axle test fit. I made the nuts from 0.5mm styrene rod.

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

And loving these Eduard racing harnesses I found after much searching on the net, way nicer than the stick on decals in the kit or the paper after-market variety. The straps are actually metal PE parts.

Not historically correct, but they look the cats nuts. :thumbsup:

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

For anyone interested here's a link

And that's it for now, it's 1am so I'm off to bed,

Thanks for looking in. :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3