Rothmans Porsche 956 in the pits ( adapted from the Tamiya 1/24 kit )

Borez

Just watching a repeat of last night's qualifying for this years Le Mans, & while the cars are still spectacular, they aren't a patch on group C cars like the 956! (just my humble opinion of course! :D )

Keith

I'm with you on this, Group C was part of the golden era days of Le Mans really, especially from an aesthetic point of view. The current LMP1's look so alike it's difficult to tell what make of car they actually are.

Saying that I would like to see and build a Tamiya 1/24 919 kit though that's for sure.

• Like 1

Borez and Keith I agree the 956 and 962s were and maybe still would be class leaders but it's like comparing a mclaren mp4/4 with a merc w06, they are both 2 cars from completely different eras and all the cars are class leaders in the times they have competed, saying that though it would be nice of porsche to bring out one of the 956s and do a straight up test against a 919 at some point just for curiosity purposes.

As for a kit I can say the studio 27 919 is very nice although I can see if someone like tamiya/aoshima/revell putting a lot more detail into the underneath bits like engines or full interiors plus with a plastic kits it is easier to open the doors up. We can only hope that car modelling in the motorsport sector picks up at some point as it's been a while since anyone did a full on lmp1 car (I may be wrong but I think it was a revell audi from 2006).

Shaun

Edited by shood23

Borez and Keith I agree the 956 and 962s were and maybe still would be class leaders but it's like comparing a mclaren mp4/4 with a merc w06, they are both 2 cars from completely different eras and all the cars are class leaders in the times they have competed, saying that though it would be nice of porsche to bring out one of the 956s and do a straight up test against a 919 at some point just for curiosity purposes.

As for a kit I can say the studio 27 919 is very nice although I can see if someone like tamiya/aoshima/revell putting a lot more detail into the underneath bits like engines or full interiors plus with a plastic kits it is easier to open the doors up. We can only hope that car modelling in the motorsport sector picks up at some point as it's been a while since anyone did a full on lmp1 car (I may be wrong but I think it was a revell audi from 2006).

Shaun

I can imagine the 919 would cream the 956, it has 300hp on it and a 0-120mph of 4.4 seconds, although I do believe it's top speed is10mph slower at 210mph ( fastest Le Mans speed ) but there again the Mulsanne straight is not as long as it was back in those days. Would definitely like to see them in action side by side though. Shame there's no 956 and 919 in Project cars, I'd give them both a run to see.

So the engine is now permanently installed in the car. It dropped in perfectly. Connecting the drive shafts was a little fiddly but apart from that all good really.

IMG_4696.jpg

Turbos are now all fully connected up

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

Windscreen is in and decaled. Those lower stripe decals were a bit of a pain to get correct but my initial cuts of the decal ( that stretches the full length of the car normally ) worked out well.

IMG_4697.jpg

Header tank is installed

IMG_4699.jpg

Built the headlamps

IMG_4709.jpg

Installed

IMG_4714.jpg

And covers installed

IMG_4727.jpg

And built some intercooler pipes from thick solder with clips ( metal tape wrapped multiple times around ) I've ordered some Tamiya pink I'll mix with clear to paint the clips.

IMG_4704.jpg

And that's it for now, just lots of the little bits, pieces and detailing to complete on the car before she's done.

I've ordered a custom display case too.

Thanks for looking

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

Well, that is all simply stunning - neat, clean & really excellent work Borez!

Fantastic stuff!! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks Keith, I'm having to be very careful about rushing things here though, the end is in sight and I'm getting too excited.

I also bought another Rothmans 956 kit ( £15 from ebay, complete bargain, it sat there for a week with no interest at all ) with a view to building another engine at some point to display beside the car, that'll come at a later date however, I'm a little 956'd out at the moment. ;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

I keep being lured towards buying one of Tamiya's group C cars, the Tom's 84C appeals for some reason lol. I don't know much about the category but I find the cars very good looking as opposed to the later LMP cars. This build isn't helping me resist haha. Top work

Ashley

I can imagine the 919 would cream the 956, it has 300hp on it and a 0-120mph of 4.4 seconds, although I do believe it's top speed is10mph slower at 210mph ( fastest Le Mans speed ) but there again the Mulsanne straight is not as long as it was back in those days. Would definitely like to see them in action side by side though. Shame there's no 956 and 919 in Project cars, I'd give them both a run to see.

Funny you say about project cars (a game I play more than I would like to admit to). There is a new game coming out for consoles soon called assetto corsa (it's already on pc but isn't great from what I have heard) they have just announced they will be having a porsche pack added on soon after release that have the 919 and 956/962 and a lot of other lemans porsches and road ones

Shaun

• Like 1

Funny you say about project cars (a game I play more than I would like to admit to). There is a new game coming out for consoles soon called assetto corsa (it's already on pc but isn't great from what I have heard) they have just announced they will be having a porsche pack added on soon after release that have the 919 and 956/962 and a lot of other lemans porsches and road ones

Shaun

Yeah, I'll be buying the PS4 version of assetto corsa as soon as it comes out in August, can't wait.

I keep being lured towards buying one of Tamiya's group C cars, the Tom's 84C appeals for some reason lol. I don't know much about the category but I find the cars very good looking as opposed to the later LMP cars. This build isn't helping me resist haha. Top work

Ashley

I have an 84C in my stash already. ;)

She looks absolutely stunning Borez. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The engine bay area is so packed with detail. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don`t blame one bit for buying a display case for her .

Simon.

Thanks Simon, much appreciated.

Edited by Borez

I have an 84C in my stash already. ;)

If you start that next I'm going to have to become a hermit. I'm following a seller on ebay that lists a fair few tamiya kits cheap from Japan and I've been watching one for a week now. So far resistance is prevailing lol.

Ashley

• Like 1

If you start that next I'm going to have to become a hermit. I'm following a seller on ebay that lists a fair few tamiya kits cheap from Japan and I've been watching one for a week now. So far resistance is prevailing lol.

Ashley

The Toms is just sitting there to be honest, haven't even thought about building it yet + I really can't find any decent walkaround pics to detail it.

• Like 1

Thank God for that haha. I really wasn't looking forward to cave life lol.

I did a search previous when I first thought about getting one and it turned up a surprisingly little amount of pics. More of Tamiya's model and RC car came up haha.

I suppose it never achieved much so is more forgotten than other cars.

Ashley

Thank God for that haha. I really wasn't looking forward to cave life lol.

I did a search previous when I first thought about getting one and it turned up a surprisingly little amount of pics. More of Tamiya's model and RC car came up haha.

I suppose it never achieved much so is more forgotten than other cars.

Ashley

Yeah, I couldn't find anything on it. It really didn't do well at all as a racing car. I know it's a Toyota 4T-GTE engine which also powered Toyota's Group B rally cars but that's about it. Shame really I think it would be a nice car to detail.

• Like 1

Yeah, I couldn't find anything on it. It really didn't do well at all as a racing car. I know it's a Toyota 4T-GTE engine which also powered Toyota's Group B rally cars but that's about it. Shame really I think it would be a nice car to detail.

Interesting I recall reading that the engine went on to power a sports car. Must be why I'm drawn to the 84c. Subconscious lol.

I have a bit of info on my pc about the engine and some pics of the Celica Twin cams showing some details. Maybe can work out between them and the instructions what's what and where pipes and the like would go. Looks like I'm buying one soon then haha.

Ashley

• Like 1

Interesting I recall reading that the engine went on to power a sports car. Must be why I'm drawn to the 84c. Subconscious lol.

I have a bit of info on my pc about the engine and some pics of the Celica Twin cams showing some details. Maybe can work out between them and the instructions what's what and where pipes and the like would go. Looks like I'm buying one soon then haha.

Ashley

It'd be nice to track down an 84C or even an 86C and go and take some pics under the hood.

I'm surprised there isn't a detail modellers guide. The Japanese did a series of rally car ones and seeing as it's a Japanese car you'd think there'd be one for it. Oh well I'll have to get my research head on haha.

Ashley

Oh gawd, so this arrived!!

I'm like, do I really have the willpower and motivation right now to build another entirely separate engine and gearbox to display alongside the car? :banghead:

I must admit it's tempting.

IMG_4729.jpg

Apart from that I painted the intercooler pipe clips. I'll paint them clear one they've dried.

IMG_4734.jpg

Start of the Le Mans 24hour in a minute so I don't think I'll be doing much on this car today + I'm off working at a festival in Crete for two days from tomorrow so I guess I'll be back to this next week.

Aw gawd, another 956 engine and gearbox!? Or maybe just the engine without the gearbox? :undecided:

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

I think it would look really good displayed alongside the car which again had the rear bodywork off & an empty engine bay with all the leads, pipes etc just ready to be connected....!!!

Well, it's easy to type an idea like that....!! :winkgrin:

Keith

• Like 1

I think it would look really good displayed alongside the car which again had the rear bodywork off & an empty engine bay with all the leads, pipes etc just ready to be connected....!!!

Well, it's easy to type an idea like that....!! :winkgrin:

Keith

The engine is already fixed in Keith so it'd have to be another engine. The only trouble with leaving that bay area open without the engine is that the intercoolers are attached to the bulkhead in a not very aesthetically pleasing way and all of the other pipework is mainly on the engine itself. The rest of it also just looks completely bare. ;)

So... progress is slow at the moment as I'm flat out with work, I'm back from Crete and only two days off before three days working at Glastonbury festival so I'm juggling about 10 balls at the same time at present.

Still though a few hours this evening to get some of the little detailing parts done.

Intercooler pipes are installed and the intercoolers themselves have been detailed

IMG_4974.jpg

IMG_4973.jpg

Test fit of the main cockpit bodywork before it's joined permanently. Mainly checking for clearance between the header tanks and the engine itself. Fits nicely though.

IMG_4977.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

Antenna is fitted.

IMG_4986.jpg

Air jack lever fitted.

IMG_4980.jpg

And a windscreen wiper is drying.

IMG_4990.jpg

And that's it for today really.

The display case arrived today too, very pleased with it. It's Rothmans Porsche 956 detailed ( well it will be ) and the model looks lovely in there but I'll save that until the ready for inspection post.

Getting there slowly but surely.

Still need to find a way to pin the doors open though.

Thanks for looking. :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3