An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

Hmmm.

Fly on Albert or fly in a Wokka-wokka.

It's a no brainer really!

I've only flown in one, & that for only 15 mins or so, but I loved every minute of it - & from then on, Wokka's rule! Still, would love to get a flight on Albert so I could really make my mind up....!!

Our food's better and we stay in nicer places.

The trad Fleet Air Arm view of the RAF is perfectly summed up in this statement.

(Why do the Air Force stay in 5* hotels when they deploy? Because there are no 6* hotels available...)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 8

You're most welcome Debs.

If you want to give the little darlings a go in the current "plastic" trainer,then go here:https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2849/fs2004-grob-115e-tutor-t1/

To get 'em into current toibo propery go here:http: //www.simshed.co.uk/Tucano.html

Did you do your basic on the JP5 ? ,this is the best: http://simviation.com//cgi-bin/syb.cgi?section=military&file=JetProvostT5v20.zip

How about a bit of classic RAF transport?,HS 780 Andover? :http://britsim.com/index.php/en/files-top/Aircraft---Military/fs9andoverc1v1.zip/lang,en-gb/

The 780 does exactly what it say's on the tin if it's all set up correctly,get it wrong and it'll bite 'em.

Very good for correct procedures.

I've just been posted to a new Air Cadet Sqn with no Flight Sim Resource (and I know damn all about them).

I want to build a realistic cockpit with a 3 screen display.

What would you suggest hardware wise?

And what software - Microshaft Flight Sim?

Thanks.

Beat that?

My airfield couldn't sink! ;)

At least when our airfield is stuck somewhere cold wet and s***** we can steam bit to warmer climes ☺

Liking the surgery so far, keep it coming!

• Like 3

How many moneys does the new Sqn have? Because to build a cockpit can be expensive, then you've got to pay for the computer and monitors etc. My recommendation would be to pick up a copy of PC Pilot and start looking through the articles and ads there. It will at least give you an idea of what's available in the way of flight sim hardware. As always though, you can buy cheap and cheerful or expensive and worth it. :/

One big win is that MS Flight Sim is no longer supported by Microsoft, so it's become quite inexpensive to buy, and because of its longevity, there are an absolute Albertsload of add-ons for it by 3rd party developers, free and paid. I recall reading that another company is to be taking up the reins, new releases of 'core' software to be available through Steam. That said, my local video game shop has FS9 and FSX (10) for sale for not very much at all, and FS9 is still the version most used on the VATSIM network, afaik.

Feel free to PM me if I can help any further, although it's been a few years since I 'flew' in FS - life's been too busy.

I've only flown in one, & that for only 15 mins or so, but I loved every minute of it - & from then on, Wokka's rule! Still, would love to get a flight on Albert so I could really make my mind up....!!

Our food's better and we stay in nicer places. :P

In my experience Wokkas take you to more 'interesting' places. Whether or not you consider that a pro or con is up to personal taste.

Just a wee bit of RAF/FAA Aircrew banter.

The basis of which is mutual respect.

No-one got hurt ;)

Indeed. Debs and I are not going to fall out over some trivial Crab-WAFU jousting. Each gives as good as (s)he gets, and we regularly exchange PMs. You will never stop the FAA taking the Mickey out of the RAF, and vice versa - but as she says, though the 2 Services are unquestionably very different, they actually have a very high respect for each other. More so nowadays than ever before, I think, since they inter-operate much more than in my day (78-97).

You can only be really rude to your friends!

As for the Wokka vs Albert choice...? Well, neither of them is a Sea King, so it's a pretty minor discussion. If forced to choose, though, it would have to be Albert. Too many gearboxes in a Chinook for my liking.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

As it seems to be disclaimer territory I have ALWAYS been a Herky fan and indeed wouldn't even been where a Wokka (US Army owned) could lift me out after a Yankee Trucker dumped me down unless Debs 'lot' had not delivered me to Yoorrup first

Bloody big airfield Leipheim...

You could almost see the curvature of the earth, big it was

I thought

But on attacking Google maps it doesn't look even remotely impressive

Funny thing landing in the late dusky eveningtime :(

And tramping out the back of Albert

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Hi,

I've just been posted to a new Air Cadet Sqn with no Flight Sim Resource )and I know bugger all about it).

I want to build a realistic cockpit with a 3 screen display.

What would you suggest hardware wise?

And what software - Microshaft Flight Sim?

Thanks,

Debs

Hoo,you do eh?

You'll want a good grunty pc and a graphics card that'll support multi monitors.

Yep, MS Flightsim is usually favorite,but there are newer products out there.

Have a look at these links:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-set-up-triple-monitors-for-super-widescreen-gami-1680863770

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2923941/how-to-create-an-insane-multiple-monitor-setup-with-three-four-or-more-displays.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1839185/set-triple-monitors.html

Might I also suggest that you go here:

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/index.php

Register your good self(it's all free,wey-hey)and have a word with some of the boys knocking about on there.

They're a pretty good bunch and will enjoy having another "driver" swell the ranks.

Mark

OK I had a look at cbfsim. That's way beyond me! Sadly I am a bit of an old relic when it comes to understanding this stuff.

All I want is a good rec for a PC, 3 screens, and a software sim package.

The idea being that the Cadets can 'fly' some RAF types but, more importantly, having learned about Pilot Nav (1 in 60 rule and all that, Standard Closing Angle, New Track Reference Technique, yada yada yada), they can go and 'fly' some Medium Level NAVEXs followed by some Low Level NAVEXs with, ultimately, IP to Target work.

The Sim definitely needs Albert, Jetstream, Dominie, JP5A, Tincano, Grob 115, Hawk...

OK I had a look at cbfsim. That's way beyond me! Sadly I am a bit of an old relic when it comes to understanding this stuff.

All I want is a good rec for a PC, 3 screens, and a software sim package.

The idea being that the Cadets can 'fly' some RAF types but, more importantly, having learned about Pilot Nav (1 in 60 rule and all that, Standard Closing Angle, New Track Reference Technique, yada yada yada), they can go and 'fly' some Medium Level NAVEXs followed by some Low Level NAVEXs with, ultimately, IP to Target work.

The Sim definitely needs Albert, Jetstream, Dominie, JP5A, Tincano, Grob 115, Hawk...

Gerroff with yer woman.

Ok,I'll have a word for you.

If you want a basically very useable programme,I'd suggest Fs2004.

There's tons of add-ons for it(aircraft,scenery,all sorts of stuff),certainly Albert,Dom,Jay-Pee,Grob Tooter,Tincano,Hawk,

Jag,Tiffie,Tornado(both flavours,AD and Mud moving)both free and payware.

I'd probably recommend FSX Steam Edition. Broadest choice of aircraft and add-ons and performs pretty well on well-chosen hardware - perhaps because the underlying engine is now quite long in the tooth. X-Plane has much to be said for it too - depends a bit on the sort of flying you will do.

Given the educational use I wouldn't rule out Prepare3D. Lockheed-Martin (heard of them?) bought a licence from Microsoft to continue development of FSX for non-recreational use. Most FSX add-ons will work well with it.

Be warned though, if you have flown a real aircraft or a commercial sim you may well be appalled at what is held up as a beacon of realism by many flight sim afficionados. To my mind, the flying is nothing like a real aircraft on any of the major platforms.

Some swear by a device called Track-IR - which monitors your head movement and changes what is displayed accordingly. I think I am completely alone in finding the concept completely bonkers and unrealistic. I suspect if I got used to using it then I'd like it and the next time I flew a real aircraft I'd crash.

I'm currently trying to design a single seat simpit that is entirely agnostic of underlying sim engine, so will happily rabbit on about the options available to you either on or off-board. I've quite a few ideas about how best to integrate realistic controls.

Kirk

Edit: I'd caution against 2004 if you envisage extending your sim with custom stuff at some point in future. Whilst 2004 is extensible, it's all much easier using SimConnect. Check out the Skysim Hawk btw.

Edited by Kirk

Be warned though, if you have flown a real aircraft or a commercial sim you may well be appalled at what is held up as a beacon of realism by many flight sim afficionados. To my mind, the flying is nothing like a real aircraft on any of the major platforms.

Some swear by a device called Track-IR - which monitors your head movement and changes what is displayed accordingly. I think I am completely alone in finding the concept completely bonkers and unrealistic. I suspect if I got used to using it then I'd like it and the next time I flew a real aircraft I'd crash.

Quite true,your posterior isn't sitting in the seat and telling you what is going on for starters and I also agree about Track-IR.

I just use my stick's hat switch in VP mode.

Most pilots I know use MSFs as a tool for instrument work and to keep their nav skills honed.

Edited by Miggers

Quite true,your posterior isn't sitting in the seat and telling you what is going on for starters and I also agree about Track-IR.

I just use my stick's hat switch in VP mode.

Most pilots I know use MSFs as a tool for instrument work and to keep their nav skills honed.

Glad it's not just me on the Track-IR thing. If Debs's trainees are more of the side by side variety, the 3 monitor setup will help give a reasonable field of view, but it's not going to be 200+ degrees laterally. My hope for the future is with the Augmented Reality technologies like CastAR. Not quite there yet though.

I think its more than just the lack of motion cues that destroy the illusion of realism. The flight dynamics suck. OK, you can probably get the same ROC for a given power, a/c configuration and AoA setting but as you fly the combination of the sim's dynamics engine and the (generally guessed) aircraft parameters just don't ever seem to be able to deliver realistic flight. I would guess that it shows most on light-weight aircraft.

Incidentally a joystick is an absolute must; you can fly with the keyboard alone but don't expect to be in control. The Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 (USB version) stick is generally recognised as the best of very few controllers that have haptic feedback integration with Flight Simulator. This attempts to apply realistic control forces such that if you go into a steep turn it doesn't feel identical to a 5 degree drift. There are tools out there to improve the realism of stick sensitivity which can only be a good thing. There is a bug in the MS flight dynamics model that mean the ground friction is all wrong; you need unrealisticly large amounts of throttle to get rolling and then will have fun getting a stable taxi speed. All good fun.

Oh - and don't expect any TACAN beacons in FS2004/FSX/XPX worlds. (Out of date) VOR is OK though, right? And who needs UHF anyway?

Kirk