Mig-21bis/SMT, if the cold war went hot.

mirageiv

A truly Doomsday scenario for this one. Hard to think we all took it as matter-of-fact back in the 70s and 80s but this potential outcome was all too possible. I'm keen to see how well this kit goes together and the manner in which you're going to display it - all the more so having seen your Lightning.

• Like 1

Great start on this one (or is it two by now?) The cockpit and exhaust are looking rather nice. Did you get the fuselage halves together?

Very true Col, quite sobering the thought of what could have happened. I am always rather perplexed to how it would have gone in the first few days with so much military equipment and weapons in such a relatively small space, absolute chaos for sure!

Well I planned to shoot the first guy I seen with an AK-47 and have his gun off him. The SA.80 was a bloody nightmare of a weapon in comparison

Seriously though, general opinion seemed to be both sides had too much to loose by chucking buckets of sunshine around the battlefield early on in any conflict but if one side was starting to loose ground too quickly then it was :boom: time. In that respect we trusted neither the Soviets or the US to show sufficient restraint in the matter.

• Like 1

In the late 70's I was a teen living on Malmstrom AFB which was SAC Headquarters.

Lived in the knowledge that we were one of the first targets that would experience nuclear sunshine if it all went to heck.

Needless to say, you just don't think about it because there wasn't anything a 15 year old could do.

Mig is coming along nicely.

• Like 1

This has all the makings of a top build! :popcorn: Great idea with the shock cone. I'll file that away for future builds. :)

I'm another Cold War kid and it's fascinating (if a bit chilling) to think how our times could have been. I'm glad we get to play some of it out in the safety of things like this.

• Like 1

Hopefully I'll get some paint on soon :hobbyhorse: . The DDR jet is still leading the way in my mind atm. Also I'm planning maybe a more dynamic display than originally, maybe with the drop tanks being jettisoned, hmmm decisions :).

I'm liking all three parts of this statement :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Great start on this one (or is it two by now?) The cockpit and exhaust are looking rather nice. Did you get the fuselage halves together?

Well I planned to shoot the first guy I seen with an AK-47 and have his gun off him. The SA.80 was a bloody nightmare of a weapon in comparison

Seriously though, general opinion seemed to be both sides had too much to loose by chucking buckets of sunshine around the battlefield early on in any conflict but if one side was starting to loose ground too quickly then it was :boom: time. In that respect we trusted neither the Soviets or the US to show sufficient restraint in the matter.

Lol - The SA80 (A2) is the most reliable assault rifle available (apparently) !! :shutup:

I remember an exchange visit with the West German Fallschirmjager in 1988 where we peered over the border watching us watching them. Even the W German Army were still in grey uniforms (not allowed camouflage after WWII)

Living under the shadow of nuclear war was not fun (especially as I lived about 2KM from RAF Lakenheath - let alone serving!)

Weird days - I will have my fingers crossed that a Lightning or F104G would have clobbered the MiG 21 before it dropped its payload, thus preventing armageddon !!

Great idea, am looking forward to seeing this. Back from Guatemala on Saturday, to finish off my builds.

• Like 2

what paint did you use for the interior - always intrigued with different peoples options and opinions - when I did the 1/144 MiGs on an earlier build I mixed 2 colours as best I could!

Edited by Tim Moff

Hi Tim.

I simply mixed some blue and green enamels (maybe revell light blue and humbrol 30), lighter blues and greens. However I did it to match the hue of Eduard etch provided with the kit (which I ended up not using anyways). The real colour in my opinion is more green/turquoise than the one I mixed. Close enough for a closed pit for me though!

Cheers,

David.

• Like 1

That is what I am going for Charlie :). Originally I was thinking of 'jettisoning' the tanks on one of them but having messed around modelling it, it looked too cluttered with the supports and didn't really work.

Cheers,

David.