19th - 19th

robvulcan

Bound to cop a few of them though in this scale their tiny! Do worry I've made the design too complex ,we shall see!(if you hear a scream Sunday ,its failed) lol

How have you molded it ? , I will keep and ear out for the Kwad Howl. :)

I love the finish on those exhausts. :) I hadn't thought of using Citadel, but actually, some of their colours are going to be spot on for the things we do.

Thanks Yes citadel are useful paints These are the older tubs of Metallics which have a very fine grain and a pleasing gloss to them after 3 coats they look incredible. However I heard there may have been a duff batch of the newer ones that where not quite so good but I doubt that.

They had to change all the names recently as there was loads of Chinese knock offs going around. I would go into Games Workshop rather than buy online.

Their wash paint is good too but dont think of it as a wash as we normally use its more of a filter paint.

:)

great story ,great work

Cheers Mick glad you like it :)

• Like 2

A quick update. Just painting the small various radar panels which are an odd colour looks usually like Hemp / greyish brownish tan colour which seems to change from photo to photo so I mixed up some thin tan, hemp and barley grey.

DF631153-4D5C-4AA1-AF9F-A3BC660BF009_zps

2E2DB6C4-1E06-4680-8DCD-04B00A7F9FBB_zps

AF3CAA86-78C9-4207-910C-03280483D885_zps

Here is how the exhausts are looking , The wrong type for XH558 but in this scale I am not that fussed and I have to remember I am doing this out of box to give myself a break from all the modding I am doing on the other projects. I fancied a quick build after all. Just need to paint the insides black.

B4018663-A042-4240-B6BB-B21EA6FFCFED_zps

I did not bother to mask the circular panel on the bottom I instead opted for thin paint and capillary action to flow it into place. This time I mixed up some Tan and Black. The other one is now Medium Sea Grey on 558 so that's being left alone.

B49F528C-99EC-4713-846D-3FC54B1BBC21_zps

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 4

Looks great Rob! Whats that circular panel for?

Cheers mate,

Viv

Cheers Viv I believe its a downward looking Radar system or Dielectric panel. I believe all the myriad of little panels on the spine. wings, belly, Tail fin, radome, Tailcone, and between the engines and many of the little lumps and bumbs are radar or Electronic Counter Measures systems. To many to remember I find but all interestingly named.

These days however I believe alot of this has been removed to reduce weight etc.

Well she is nearly ready to fly and this one I hope will ( No I have not gone mad that already happened but seriously I have an idea for this. :winkgrin: )

I have flowed in the windows etc with thin black paint. Painted the inside of the exhausts black. and added some under wing detail. I am not going to do a wash on this one as these days XH558 looks very immaculate. On my last one I did as back in 1992 Although still glossy she had started to look a bit tired and patchy.

It also seems that the upper Dielectric panel has now been painted over green and grey (small brown circle in front of tail spine)

FDA1EAE6-DDD7-48A3-A5DD-19B833427B99_zps

69D81BAD-3E26-483C-A226-59C4529727B6_zps

7FC94BB2-7140-4B78-AD00-89F479B6AD4F_zps

8C58FEEC-5755-4B8B-9F34-C4A81BC16CF1_zps

I am thinking of giving Tamiya rattle can varnish a try. Anyone got any experience with this. I am mega impressed with the paints I wonder how the varnish fares.

Rob :)

• Like 3

Well Rob its a two piece mold, split down the length of the bay, top feed from the nose end with extra feeds down both sides,to be stood vertically when the resin goes in.(if this makes any sense!)

• Like 1

Well Rob its a two piece mold, split down the length of the bay, top feed from the nose end with extra feeds down both sides,to be stood vertically when the resin goes in.(if this makes any sense!)

It kinda makes sense you will have to show me. Sounds cool though :)

Superb wok so far Rob,that camo is beautifully done

Cheers Steve I have to say I am very happy how it's come out hopefully looks like XH558 and the Tamiya sprays are beyond amazing the shades of As-30,31,32 are bloomin gorgeous and spot on too. I'll be using tamiya a lot more now also the Halfords primer is amazing too so robust and great to use.

• Like 2

Hey Rob,

why don't you use some tape in between the bluetac lines? That might save you alot of that expensive stuff!

Scroll down to post number #7 in my p40 thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981979-p-40-warhawk-flying-tigers-hasegawa-148/#entry1989042and you will see what I mean.

Cheers to your Vulcan! One more question though, have you ever tried to lighten the colors up abit? So they look abit more sun faded? (after shading with

slightly lighter colors is what I am talking about)

I will be trying that on the next one.

best regards,

max

• Like 1

Hey Rob,

why don't you use some tape in between the bluetac lines? That might save you alot of that expensive stuff!

Scroll down to post number #7 in my p40 thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234981979-p-40-warhawk-flying-tigers-hasegawa-148/#entry1989042and you will see what I mean.

Cheers to your Vulcan! One more question though, have you ever tried to lighten the colors up abit? So they look abit more sun faded? (after shading with

slightly lighter colors is what I am talking about)

I will be trying that on the next one.

best regards,

max

Hi Max I have tired the Tamiya tape but I prefer this method as the blue tak is significantly cheaper than tamiya tape. But also the thickness of the Blue Tak makes it easier and safer to hold and move around while misting on the second colour. The Blue tak sticks to your fingers stopping you drop it but by holding it in the centre stops you deforming the edge of the rolled tak and screwing up the edges. Thanks for the link though.

I have currently not got an AB Set up as my compressor died in a spectacular way back in 2011, At that time I decided to check out aerosols and brush techniques and had better results and more fun since however I do miss airbrushing and some things you cant do with anything but and AB. Soon I will get one again as I would like to make a heavily weathered aircraft or too. Weathering is actually something I really love to do.

As for the Vulcan in its current state its in Fresh paint on top and the bottom is still in great nick but a few years ago she was badly faded up top and I for one thought it looked pretty cool like that. I also want to try that salt weather method. :) Cheers Rob

Great job Rob she looks fantastic mate and the colours look spot on.

Here are a few shots from Southport on Saturday.

Cheers John lovely photos love to see them all. At that point when the reds where coming in with her me and Holly where marching down to see it and that's when her back went. What a display though Decent amount of noise and I will never forget it. Southport is always a great show.

Shame we could not meet Holly's back must have been bad as she skipped the fresh Doughnuts on the way back ! ,, That never happens.

Yes the Tamiya Paint cans are just beyond amazing the green particularly has that odd chameleon effect of looking both light and dark, brown and green like the real ones. I am very happy with it.

• Like 1

Hello,Rob - Here comes another Divine Delta from your expert hands.Your Grandpop and AVRO would be very proud of the fine models you make as a love and tribute to this aircraft.All the very best,Paul.

Oooooh! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Indeed :D

Will do Rob

Cheers mate I would love to see and I am itching to do another B2 I have one on the go but just taken delivery of 2 more so bring on the bay :)

I want have a go at one I just bought a few weeks back some plastic strip to do mine.

It seems a fun task am I right or wrong ? :lol:

Really nice result from those rattlecans! If you are doing a flying pose it might be interesting to do it in an extreme bank - that's the bit that always amazes me.

Regards,

Adrian

Yep Humbrol Revel and Tamiya Rattle cans are the dogs but The Tamiya ones have a slower dry time shrink back loads and the shades are weirdly only to be described as .. Delicious ... odd but thats the level of satisfaction they give you their AS-30 is bang on for many types.

:D

Hello,Rob - Here comes another Divine Delta from your expert hands.Your Grandpop and AVRO would be very proud of the fine models you make as a love and tribute to this aircraft.All the very best,Paul.

I dunno about expert but I sure do love the things in what many would believe an unhealthy amount but I don't care I am happy and AVRO really did something special. :worthy: . Now I have taken delivery of some PR Victor Kits I hope to start showing that the same attention as the Vulcan for it is also amazing.

Glad you like it mate. :D

Lovely finish on that, and quick too! I find that the odd quick build really does blow the cobwebs out of the system.

Regards,

Adrian

Yes I love the long builds I am working on but sometimes its so slow you just miss the business of seeing the whole thing through in a week or so its just fun to go for it and check your skills and check that you can actually still build and paint a model as sometimes you think. Damn can I do it anymore.

The Tamiya AS series and TS series are well worth your time checking out the shades are more realistic for AS-30,31,32, There is also AS-9,11,12, But I am not sure about AS-9 It looks like grass green.

I am just having a glass of wine then its bed as I am playing a gig at the O2 academy tomorrow then work on this will resume.

Cheers Rob :D

• Like 2

Got the victor too, got some ideas for her ,what a babe!😁 First casting 2day 👌good luck with the gig👍 PS one of your singers f/b photos makes her look the spit of a young Kate Bush!! (God now I'm showing me age😂)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the victor too, got some ideas for her ,what a babe! First casting 2day good luck with the gig PS one of your singers f/b photos makes her look the spit of a young Kate Bush!! (God now I'm showing me age)

Yes they are great kits I picked up a few more love the PR GWH Kits great gear. Yes she does look a bit like her sometimes.

:)

I thought I would attempt to try and bring the builds more to life with this animated gif but think a small video might be better. Rather than loads of pics I thought this could be fun. I have started applying the decals :)

7A69FDCD-9C8D-4803-A5CF-CC403ACE7670_zps

• Like 2

Spooky Rob! My two eldest were born at Wroughton,the RAF hospital. I have quite different memories!

• Like 1

Bzn20 that is a very different memory from mine was that during the display !

Cheers Ced needs work maybe a small movie clip would be better.

Here is a look at the progress nearly got all the decals on, a few more now and it will be nearly there.

Im pretty chuffed with how she's looking

F8456436-7B45-4F11-B504-5E7B9A9E3C11_zps

8C34E583-2C9C-4854-954F-8753E84BC532_zps

I love Tamiya Rattle cans and Halfords primer great stuff :)

• Like 8