BEST 1/72nd B-17 & B-24

Al Keller

Hello everyone!

I've been building in 1/48th and 1/32nd for longer than I want to remember!!

At this point, I've decided that when it comes to the larger (usually 4 engine) aircraft, I should restrict myself to 1/72nd kits since they take up less room.

But, I don't know a lot about which companies offer the most value for the money.

I don't mind having to "work" on the model to get the best results but, I'd rather not re-create the wheel.

Could you point me in the right direction please?

Thank you very much!!

Al Keller

I'll second on the Airfix B-17 - from what we've seen of the CAD so far, it looks pretty good.

As for actually available, the best B-24 is the Hasegawa kit, but it costs the proverbial "arm and a leg"! After that, the Academy/Minicraft one is fairly good, but has narrow engine nacelles and, I believe, a too shallow rear fuselage. Prices are reasonable.

As for the B-17, the recent Revell kit has good detail, but heavy surface detail, a poor nose transparency and apparently suffers from shape problems. The Academy/Minicraft kit is a bit spartan on detail, but is better shape wise. Just watch how you attach the wings as you'll end up with too much dihedral! Prices on both are OK. After that, the Hasegawa B-17 is reckoned to be good shape wise, but has raised rather recessed detail, and, being a Hasegawa kit, will be expensive depending on the boxing.

As for the older kits, I'll let those more familiar with them to comment, though I gather that old Revell/Monogram B-24D is not too bad.

Hope that helps,

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

As for the older kits, I'll let those more familiar with them to comment, though I gather that old Revell/Monogram B-24D is not too bad.

Have a look at my build of the old Revell PB4Y-1 (B-24D) kit and see what you think. You need to read both WIP threads that are linked to get the whole story - don't just look at the finished model! :)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956097-revell-172-consolidated-pb4y-1-liberator/

To my knowledge, Monogram never made a 1:72 B-24 of any mark. Revell's dates to 1964 or so and was last released in 1990, a bit past its prime.

Cheers,

Bill

If you want an early version, Academy is pretty much the only option. Italieri re-issued the sprues in a very expensive boxing, but older kits are not too hard to find for sale....

IMG_3950.jpg

You have to do some juggling to correct the dihedral; the kit wants to have much more than there should be. Otherwise the thing goes together pretty well.

• Like 2

B-17: I think the Revell is by far the best at the moment, despite some minor issues. Academy is less detailed but still decent, and easily available since it has just been rereleased. Airfix looks nice but it isn't actually for sale and won't be for some time.

B-24: Hasegawa is a very nice kit but pricey, Academy's kits again are less detailed but decent options.

Did anyone ever release any aftermarket for the Academy early B-17s? :shrug:

I think Eduard had some interior detail brass kits for the early model B-17s. Check around the different on-line shops before going to auction sites.

Later,

Dave

Do you want the best kit or the best value for money?

B-24: If you want the best kit then Hasegawa, or for best value Academy.

B-17 assuming you want a G, then Academy is arguably the best all-rounder currently available providing you correct the dihedral, and good value but I prefer the old Hasegawa kit. New boxiings of these older tool Hasegawa kits are ridiculously expensive, but if you get an early boxing from a previous owner they are usually inexpensive, I think I paid £15 for mine at Telford.

The new Airfix B-17G looks very promising but don't expect to be able to buy one for at least a year.

it's probably worth to wait for the Airfix release of their B-17G which is planned by Q3 2016. Okay, this means a good year of waiting but in the meantime you can build the B-24. Cannot say which kit is best for the B-24...

Cheers,

Michael