Academy 1/48 Phantom F-4D

I am entering this GB with the Academy F-4C/D, in which I will be making the D version as an aircraft from the 171 FIS of the Michigan ANG, by using one of the Caracal Models decal sheets. This will be adding to my collection of models from this Sqn, and there are a few more to come. As I have started late into this GB I may not finish it in the allotted time, but I will continue to post updates until it is completed. This is also the first time that I have built the Academy kit, having built several Hasegawa ones of various guises.

The kit.

Phantom%20F-4D%20001_zps7kpmrtvu.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20002_zpsajdnxdlb.jpg

Kit Instructions.

Phantom%20F-4D%20003_zpsgppr7mrm.jpg

Some information.

Phantom%20F-4D%20004_zpsg7pfun7j.jpg

The top picture is the aircraft I am making. (Photo credit to Scott Van Aken via Tim Laming).

Phantom%20F-4D%20005_zps3o6lpakv.jpg

The Caracal decal sheet that I will be using to make the model.

Phantom%20F-4D%20006_zpsf3cqbixt.jpg

I made a start on the model last night, by way of making up the nose U/C bay and adding the bulkheads to the cockpit. I don't like the way that the U/C bays are made up in that they have no positive locationing, and I am not looking forward to making up the main U/C bays.

Also a quick question. As the kit is mainly for making a C version of the Phantom, is there any noticeable differences in the cockpit instrument panels as I am making a D from what is stated in the instructions sheet? I ask because there are several panels included in the kit.

• Like 7

Great choice of both kit and markings.

I remember seeing the battle damage repair one at Mildenhall which was from this squadron (if I remember rightly that is).

I look forward to seeing how you get on with this one. I can't be sure if there are any differences in the cockpit but I do know that the IR sensor under the nose was slightly different.

Craig.

Thanks for the info. I think the undernose sensor is catered for in the kit as there are several.

A question to anyone who has built this kit? How did you get on with the main U/C bays. I put one together last night and even though I followed the instructions to the letter, it seemed not quite to fit the area it is meant to in the wing, plus the centre bar was too small for the bay altogether. Any help would be appreciated.

I have built up the basic cockpit, spraying the instrument panels white so as to aid the applying of the grey paint. One thing that I have found strange with the kit is that although it is quite detailed in some areas, in others it is not. The rear cockpit has flying instruments including the throttles (I think), whilst the throttles are not added in the front cockpit. I have also done some trial fitting of the fuselage, and it seems a little pinched at the base. Hopefully it will fit correctly when all the internal gubbings are fitted.

Phantom%20F-4D%20007_zpsa9eahbjb.jpg

• Like 3

Will be watching your build with interest as you know your way around the F-4 :)

The Caracal decals look good, I like the way they come with an additional sheet which includes the walkways.

Michael

I am following this build closely as it sounds as though you will have some very useful observations concerning the kit. I recently acquired the Eduard Good Evening Da Nang boxing of this kit and I'm keen to learn as much as I can before I make a start on it at some later date.

Will be watching your build with interest as you know your way around the F-4 :)

The Caracal decals look good, I like the way they come with an additional sheet which includes the walkways.

Michael

I would not call myself an expert on the Phantom, although I did work on them at RAF St Athan for two and a half years, but only actually worked on 5 aircraft.

Yes I did forget to photo the walkway sheet at the start, I will do this on my next update.

A small update. I have added both wheel and air brake bays to the lower wing, plus I have made up the air intakes. I had to remove the Stbd wheel bay as it had not fitted correctly, and I am still not that happy with the non positive fit of parts. Will be painting the cockpit area soon, plus adding the upper wing halves.

Phantom%20F-4D%20008_zpsb7qy8urc.jpg

• Like 3

A small update on my progress so far. I have put together the wings and all the stuff that goes into the fuselage that fits on the lower wing such as intakes and engines. Although there ws no real positive locationing it was better than the main U/C wheel and air brake bays. I have also painted up the cockpit, but I still have the throttles to add to both cockpits. I have also carried out a trial fitting of the fuselage which is a lot better than I orignally thought that it was going to be as the fuselage was rather pinched at the base of it. Anyway some photos.

Phantom%20F-4D%20009_zpsw0zor1bw.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20010_zps32qax1yj.jpg

I am a bit concerned about the fit of the fwd lower fuselage to the main wing as it is just a butt join, so I will add some plasti card to aid the fit.

Phantom%20F-4D%20011_zpsg6y0s3kq.jpg

I filled in some of the ejector marks and other holes that were quite visual when I looked at them.

Phantom%20F-4D%20012_zpswu2v25to.jpg

• Like 2

Another small update. I have completed the cockpit, adding the pilots throttles and the U/C operating lever. This was then glued to the lower fwd fuselage, and hopefully this will be glued the the rear assy soon.

Phantom%20F-4D%20013_zps8z4o7jji.jpg

I had a slight spillage of liquid poly the other night with this part being slightly damaged.

Phantom%20F-4D%20015_zpsuxz15qxz.jpg

• Like 1

Liquid poly! :rant: So easily done, instant damage.

The kit sounds like a mix of good and, well, weird. Thanks for including the top tips as you go along.

Added some of the bigger parts, which although fitted quite well still required some pressure here and there so that they fitted better. Hopefully some more bigger parts will be fitted in the next day or so, so that I can see what is required filling wise.

Phantom%20F-4D%20016_zpsgg700vla.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20017_zpsbm7imoxt.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20018_zps3clilji6.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words. A bit of a slight disaster last night. Having fitted the main part of the fin, I then wanted to fit the small intake part that sits at the front of the fin, only to find that I had fitted the fin too far to the rear of the model. Nothing was whereabouts the fin was actually to sit in the slot provided for it. So off it came along with the blast panel parts, and was then repositioned in its correct place and the other parts then refitted to the model along with the small intake. It does also seem on this model that some of the plastics are softer than others, in that the white melts quite easily, whilst the darker plastic seems a bit harder. I am not blaming this on my ineptitude and am now progressing a little further and slower with the model. More photos soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished sanding and I have added the inner wing pylons. I am not sure what weapons I will be fitting, but I am sure that some Sidewinders will be fitted. I have also sent off to Hypersonics for their replacement nose air intake, which are better than the kit ones.

Phantom%20F-4D%20024_zpseknkhlt4.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20025_zpsycbsh2sc.jpg

Any comments are welcome.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 3

I know that I will not finish this one before the deadline, but at least I have some paint on the model. I have also added that U/C, which was a slight pain. This was due to believing a reviewer in a mag who said that it can be fitted later than what the instructions say. Well it can but I had to remove a small amount so that it fitted into the wheel bay correctly. I will also paint the anti dazzle panel and start on the back end tonight. A quick question, I haveseen ground to air ANG units with the gun fitted on the centre line pylon, but did the air defence ANG units do so as standard or as part of a role fit? I have seen the famous picture of the Michigan ANG phantom with 5 gun pods fitted, but I don't want to do that.

Phantom%20F-4D%20026_zpsri09bzib.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20027_zpsd23dhkqu.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20028_zpsmlahesnt.jpg

• Like 2

I started to paint the tailplanes last night, I don't know why I didn't when I painted the rest of the model only to find that the triangular reinforcing plates are not there and the aircraft that I am modelling requires them. I have looked on the sprues to see if they maybe parts for them, but no so I will have to try and make these from thin plasti-card.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now applied all of the bigger decals, and will apply the smaller ones tonight. I had put together the ejection seats but I did not like the look of them so I decided to get a set from Hypersonics along with their canopy set. I think that these ejection seat may not be the correct mark for the time period that the model comes from, but they just look a lot better. I will also start to make up the weaponry in the next day or so.

Phantom%20F-4D%20029_zpsqrvlkwi3.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20030_zps8mmgqrfd.jpg

Phantom%20F-4D%20031_zpsbkgyn3rq.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...