Something Bonkers, Haunebu II

Laphroaig or The Edradour for me (although the Welsh Single Malt, Penderyn, comes a close third!)

Just looked at the dates of Telford and hopefully I'll make it to my first show this year.... I'm looking forward to seeing this one in the flesh so to speak!

FB

Laphroaig is very nice too as is Penderyn. I have never tried Eradour though. One thing that does puzzle me is why I can drink Scotch until it s coming out of my ears but even a half tot of Irish makes me feel ill? The crayons make me ill whatever colour they are!

Martian

• Like 3

Hi Martin,

...costs were likely to exceed the Manhattan Project costs in scale and resources. It was shut down because there was no need and abandoned in 1955...

I don't think there's any doubt that scientists investigated this stuff. But there are some (and I am NOT accusing you of this, Phil) who would have us believe not just that a U.S. test managed to achieve something amazing with a 2' or 3' model at 100 mph, but that the Nazis did it with a huge version of the real thing over 10 years previously... and yet did nothing with such a weapon (even at a time when they were facing imminent defeat) nor left any trace of it afterwards. I just don't find that remotely credible - and if that makes me someone who refuses to think out of the box, then so be it.

The other thing for me is the cancellation. Let's face it, from the mid-to-late-50s the U.S. was in full-on Cold War paranoia mode. They tried out nuclear powered aircraft, FFS. They tried out hydrogen engines to provide hyper-speeds at extreme altitudes. They then actually built and deployed extraordinarily advanced, beyond cutting edge (for the time) designs like the SR-71, at eye-watering cost and engineering complexity. Yet we are supposed to believe that a propulsion / flight technology such as this was found to work... and then cancelled because of the cost? No contrails, no sonic booms, no IR signature, astonishing performance... and they just shrugged their shoulders and binned it? Does that sound like the sort of thing Curtis LeMay and his ilk would do? Not to me, it doesn't.

I absolutely accept that this stuff was investigated (including by a U.S. scientist with a known history of minor mental health issues...) and even maybe that small models were persuaded to fly with en eerie blue glow. But it's a mighty long way from there to saying that this was practical technology, that the not-minor engineering challenge of generating "millions of volts" in a flying machine was overcome (even in the 1950s; have you examined the "advanced technology" of a 1950s aircraft recently - all that Baekelite and those valves?)... and then the whole thing was quietly cancelled... Sorry. Don't believe that for a second.

It might - I stress might - be THEORETICALLY feasible. But I think the far more likely scenario is that they found that it could not be made to work on any scale that would have practical use; that would be a convincing reason for cancellation.

[Martin, if you don't like the thread hi-jack on what is a hugely entertaining and skilful build, then PM me and iIwill happily cease & desist!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

Laphroaig is very nice too as is Penderyn. I have never tried Eradour though. One thing that does puzzle me is why I can drink Scotch until it s coming out of my ears but even a half tot of Irish makes me feel ill? The crayons make me ill whatever colour they are!

I assume it must be something to do with the very specific and exacting rules of what is allowed to be done to make Scotch Single Malt if the distillery wants to use that label...especially what they can add, what grain they can use, how the aging process is managed... etc.

Irish whiskey doesn't have those and it's produced much faster (not aged as much normally) so probably has additives etc that you might not get on with. Total guess on my part but it seems to make some sense.

As for the crayons.... I guess it depends on how fresh they are and if you're cooking them properly! ;-)

• Like 1

I don't think there's any doubt that scientists investigated this stuff. But there are some (and I am NOT accusing you of this, Phil) who would have us believe not just that a U.S. test managed to achieve something amazing with a 2' or 3' model at 100 mph, but that the Nazis did it with a huge version of the real thing over 10 years previously... and yet did nothing with such a weapon (even at a time when they were facing imminent defeat) nor left any trace of it afterwards. I just don't find that remotely credible - and if that makes me someone who refuses to think out of the box, then so be it.

The other thing for me is the cancellation. Let's face it, from the mid-to-late-50s the U.S. was in full-on Cold War paranoia mode. They tried out nuclear powered aircraft, FFS. They tried out hydrogen engines to provide hyper-speeds at extreme altitudes. They then actually built and deployed extraordinarily advanced, beyond cutting edge (for the time) designs like the SR-71, at eye-watering cost and engineering complexity. Yet we are supposed to believe that a propulsion / flight technology such as this was found to work... and then cancelled because of the cost? No contrails, no sonic booms, no IR signature, astonishing performance... and they just shrugged their shoulders and binned it? Does that sound like the sort of thing Curtis LeMay and his ilk would do? Not to me, it doesn't.

I absolutely accept that this stuff was investigated (including by a U.S. scientist with a known history of minor mental health issues...) and even maybe that small models were persuaded to fly with en eerie blue glow. But it's a mighty long way from there to saying that this was practical technology, that the not-minor engineering challenge of generating "millions of volts" in a flying machine was overcome (even in the 1950s; have you examined the "advanced technology" of a 1950s aircraft recently - all that Baekelite and those valves?)... and then the whole thing was quietly cancelled... Sorry. Don't believe that for a second.

It might - I stress might - be THEORETICALLY feasible. But I think the far more likely scenario is that they found that it could not be made to work on any scale that would have practical use; that would be a convincing reason for cancellation.

[Martin, if you don't like the thread hi-jack on what is a hugely entertaining and skilful build, then PM me and iIwill happily cease & desist!]

That's fine, part of what is making this thread entertaining, apart from the exceptionally high quality of silliness, is we have a subject here that is open to a very interesting debate. I knew before I started the thread that there would be a wide range of opinions on the subject, some that I would agree with and some not. The great thing about BM is that we can debate these things in a civilised and friendly manner. Anyway, as we are discussing the subject that the thread is about, it can hardly be described as hi-jacking, so personally, I welcome any contributions, serious or otherwise.

Martian

I assume it must be something to do with the very specific and exacting rules of what is allowed to be done to make Scotch Single Malt if the distillery wants to use that label...especially what they can add, what grain they can use, how the aging process is managed... etc.

Irish whiskey doesn't have those and it's produced much faster (not aged as much normally) so probably has additives etc that you might not get on with. Total guess on my part but it seems to make some sense.

As for the crayons.... I guess it depends on how fresh they are and if you're cooking them properly! ;-)

Ah additives! That could well be it. I wonder if it is additives in the crayons that are making me ill as well?

Martian

Ah additives! That could well be it. I wonder if it is additives in the crayons that are making me ill as well?

Martian

I find that the crayons make me feel far less off-colour (sorry!) when I am wearing my tin foil hat.

• Like 5

I love the way you've taken Martian to your heart ^_^

Thanks Mike, if this thread doesn't get you to redouble your efforts to get a BM shrink, I don't know what will.

Still no bits and pieces from Royal Fail, they are starting to hold things up a bit.

Martian

PS: Did you get one of these kits in the end Mike?

.. and if you're cooking them properly! ;-)

Heathen. To the connoisseur, that is a crime of unforgivable proportions. Ideally, they won't even be peeled.

;)

(This is now officially silly.)

• Like 2

Yes Rob that was for you. I have fibromyalgia and am stuck with it and have to use crutches if I want to walk any distance. However, laughter does help with pain relief in the short term and your quip really helped.

Thanks

Martian

I'm sorry to hear that Martin. I have no personal experience with the disease, but I do know of it. I'll endeavour to further entertain you.

I'm sorry to hear that Martin. I have no personal experience with the disease, but I do know of it. I'll endeavour to further entertain you.

Thanks Rob.

Martian

Greetings Earthlings!

Today I decided to crack on with some cabling and also finally got round to kitting out the variostat bay, the kittying out of it comes later. I found I had some wound wire which looked very 1940/1950's sci-fi so, into the variostat bay it went.

I have also done a Frederck the Great portrait. I have not gone over the top with any other luggage as the Fuhrer is only doing what most husbands do when the proverbial is hitting the fan :poo: and keeping out of the way until the fuss dies down and is consequently travelling light. He will have everything he needs at the Berghof anyway. What he does seem not to have considered however, is what is going to happen when Eva finds out he has done a bunk to the Berghof with a nubile Vril Madel while she is left in the ruins of Berlin? :hanging:

I have capped off the top of the pole magnet as it will look untidy otherwise when the roof is removed for viewing the interior. Perfect Putty has taken care of the ejector pin marks on the inside of the cabin roof.

Thanks for looking

Martian

wd1_zpsksu67gzk.jpg

wd2_zpse3nagpvi.jpg

wd3_zpsktwvo4a3.jpg

wd4_zpszwkaty1j.jpg

• Like 10

Hi martin,

Yeah she will look cool...esp with the lid off. I hope you finish it as it really looks sharp.

As for the fact finding on German flying saucer craft in WWII...I'm gonna bow out on any further comments. I do know a lot more but I feel it will only take over your posting. Those who would like to know more can PM me if they like....

Good luck with the build....

PHIL.

Nice work Martin, looking very 1945 state of the art. Nice build in the latest Airfix magazine too.

cheers,

Julian

Thanks Julian. Are you sure you men Airfix Magazine? I have the latest copy and can't find it.

Heathen. To the connoisseur, that is a crime of unforgivable proportions. Ideally, they won't even be peeled.

;)

(This is now officially silly.)

Oh! There's me having mine mashed, Ooops! :banghead:

Edit: Hang on a minute! When did this thread go from being unofficially silly to officially silly? I thought it had started out that way!

Hi martin,

Yeah she will look cool...esp with the lid off. I hope you finish it as it really looks sharp.

As for the fact finding on German flying saucer craft in WWII...I'm gonna bow out on any further comments. I do know a lot more but I feel it will only take over your posting. Those who would like to know more can PM me if they like....

Good luck with the build....

PHIL.

Thanks Phil, I hope I am achieving my aim of mixing a realistic looking aircraft with a humorous scene on the inside.

You are fine to carry on contributing what you have on these craft. It has all been helping make this thread the fun mix of research, silliness, and modelling it has become.

Don't worry, barring any disasters this is definitely going to be finished, in fact had the last few bits and pieces I am waiting on arrived, I think we would be into the painting stage by now. Anyway, I have the feeling that if this doesn't go to Telford with me I am going to get lynched! :hanging:

I has to be said that I have been enjoying this thread so much that I will be a little sad when the model is finished. :weep: The question is, what should I follow this with?

Martian

• Like 3

Hi Martin,

I wanted to do an article for AIRFIX mag couple of years ago. However Mr. Sands gave me a hard time. I never followed through. I don't think I was good enough but you live and learn.

PHIL.

Airfix Model World, August edition page 38. Martin Hale's rotocopter.

cheers,

Julian

Thanks Julian.

Martian

Sorry, but the 'loo' problem has been bugging me until I realized, since this craft could land anywhere, well then it was just a matter of finding a suitable bush for 'potty breaks'. Plus, low residue foods would have helped reduce the need... just don't forget the relief tubes!

Perhaps that is what is behind (ha!) the crop circles?

RE: practicality, I suspect investigators would have found that highly charged EM fields are not compatible with organics...hence my earlier comment about a Faraday cage. Not to mention the power density needed (perhaps not until practical fusion can be achieved?)

Regards, Robert

• Like 2

Sorry, but the 'loo' problem has been bugging me until I realized, since this craft could land anywhere, well then it was just a matter of finding a suitable bush for 'potty breaks'. Plus, low residue foods would have helped reduce the need... just don't forget the relief tubes!

Perhaps that is what is behind (ha!) the crop circles?

RE: practicality, I suspect investigators would have found that highly charged EM fields are not compatible with organics...hence my earlier comment about a Faraday cage. Not to mention the power density needed (perhaps not until practical fusion can be achieved?)

Regards, Robert

I guess the need for "facilities" would depend on how long this thing was expected to fly for. I might take a looknat Faraday cages and see if anything realistic in this scale can be done.

Realy good job ;)

Thanks.

Martian

Hmm Given the 1940s & 50s rather relaxed attitude to playing with radiation and its effects on biology..... I think with something throwing this much exotic radiation types around the crews would soon have learnt and adopted the two headed tatzelwurm as their unit insignia (presumably in glow in the dark paint!):

TazelwurnDouble_zpsqk2chk4y.jpg

:winkgrin:

(Something I whipped up on Illustrator from previous decal artwork I made - if you want the illustrator file let me know)

FB

Edited by Flying Badger
  • Like 4

Hmm Given the 1940s & 50s rather relaxed attitude to playing with radiation and its effects on biology..... I think with something throwing this much exotic radiation types around the crews would soon have learnt and adopted the two headed tatzelwurm as their unit insignia (presumably in glow in the dark paint!):

TazelwurnDouble_zpsqk2chk4y.jpg

:winkgrin:

(Something I whipped up on Illustrator from previous decal artwork I made - if you want the illustrator file let me know)

FB

Love the design! Sadly I do not have the ability to produce my own decals or that would be going on the craft 100%!

Surely they'd have just worn asbestos & lead underwear.

What could be wrong with that?

This is just getting kinky now!

Martin

Nice Sunday mornings entertainment..... I started with a quick google on Faraday cages, which led me to the Wikipedia on the subject, then onto Ecouterre, where a young lady wore a Faraday cage dress on stage to get zapped by a million volts, which led me to Arcattack (a band) then finally, to Kirlian photography

• Like 1