Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Despy

They'll presumably be available one way or another (and probably much more expensive too), but other Japan based retailers have been informed by Bandai that they can't offer the kits for export so if the situation continues I assume any store either exporting or importing from Japan will be told to desist.

There's an interesting thread about it on RPF

Andy

That's not good. If it is Revell causing this, then they really shouldn't be complaining. They should be upping their game and actually providing modellers with product that is equal or better in quality to the Bandai kits.

I certainly don't plan to purchase any of the Revell TFA "kits". From what I've seen, they look inacurate (Falcon sidewalls again) & oversimplified.

By all accounts, it appears to be Disney pushing this (though not unexpectedly).

Now, this isn't the first time this issue has come up and when it did last time, one of the higher-ups at HLJ.com post on the Starship Modeler forum that if such a situation like this occured, it would not affect HLJ from selling kits to people overseas. As of today, all Bandai kits are available on their website and you can preorder Slave I and the Boba Fett models as well. What is troubling is that none of the newly announced Episode VII kits are being shown available for preorder on their English website, but they are on their Japanese website.

However, despair not! There are websites that can forward you items bought in Japan. While it might add on to shipping and handling costs, I think these kits from Bandai have shown to be worth it.

I may have not-quite-panicked and ordered a few that I really wanted from HLJ. Not as cheap as if I'd bought them before the NZD tanked, but cheaper than buying them locally!

Will

I've got the shipping note for my Snowspeeder too, but the thing that's concerning me is, as ScootyPuffJunior said above, they haven't put any TFA stuff up for pre order yet.

This whole thing seemed to kick off when the new products were announced so it does make it seem more likely that some pressure has come from Revell who want people to be pushed in to buying their tat. After all, the Bandai OT stuff has been available since the start of the year and nobody's bothered about it till now.

Andy

I wonder if the Bandai stuff may be reboxed by Revell at some point in the future in the same way as they reboxed the Battlestar Galactica stuff? Anyway I'd better crack on and order the models I need while they have stock though

I think it's unlikely as they're already reboxing some of the Finemolds stuff (which, surprise surprise, probably won't be available in Europe). There's a chance that all this will blow over once the hype around the new film has past.

Andy

I've spoken with the UK PR for Revell EU, and they're not aware of any plans to market the licensed FM kits in Europe. They should know, I guess... so you'll be on your own if you want any of the old FM kits. Personal imports only :shrug:

Thanks for writing. Bandai's kits for "The Force Awakens" are unfortunately not able to be offered outside Japan, so are only on our domestic web site, for orders shipped within Japan.

We're very sorry about this situation. Thanks very much for your understanding, and for shopping with us.

Best Regards,

Mark Kutsugi

HobbyLink Japan

http://www.hlj.com

This was posted on another forum after a member asked HLJ about TFA kits not showing on their international site.

Maybe HLJ have got round the issues with pre TFA kits being shipped internationally.

Cheers,

Warren

Disney and Revell aren't exactly bathing themselves in glory by taking such a hard line approach. I suppose the kits will be available on ebay eventually, but if Revell think I'll be buying their dross instead, they're sorely mistaken.

Andy

• Like 5

It's a shame, but ways will be found. :ninja: Maybe it's time to befriend an American and Japanese person? Why isn't there an "...an" for the Japanese? "An American" sounds complete, but "A japanese" doesn't. I'm compelled to add "person" to the end, which sounds weird in its own way :hmmm:

Well. This is all a bit poo. Just in case I've ordered £60 worth of the original models off of various amazon marketplace sellers. That will bring the total amount of kits ordered this month to 15...I should have got them sent to the office. The missus is going to go mental.

Only problem is now, due to Bandai enforcing these rules, the prices of these kits are gonna skyrocket.

Especially as I cant afford to get any till the Telford fair.

ATM the prices are hovering around £15-£20, but they will be double that by the time I get my hands on one.

Edited by Deadman Disciple