Wanted/for sale/trade threads

Greg B

Gents,

Threads asking for wants, trades or sales will be canned in this forum area. Please use the correct area of Britmodeller for these, as they firstly create a moderation burden in generating reported posts and secondly attract accusations of bias because they have been missed by us or not been reported.

No more please.

Thanks

Greg B

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Just a thought....

Would 'for sale/wanted' posts not be better served by being in the relevant sections - such as 'vehicles' etc being here?

Maybe pin the thread at the top?

Just an idea.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

Yup.......then someone who builds vehicles might see my 1/12 Ferrari F40 want, rather than be lost among the aircraft masses!LOL Mac

Definitely.

Vehicles are a SERIOUS minority in sale/wanted section and rapidly get pushed off the page...

HERE would be so much more useful.

Roy.

• Like 1

or sub divide the for sale section to include specific folders for cars etc, to keep all in the one area as the mods have asked for?? - just another idea

macgregor...I DO have a Revell 1/12 F40, but not sure I want to part with it yet. I've agreed with the wife to 'audit' and maybe shrink the stash over this coming summer, so I will keep your details to hand in case I change my mind.

• Like 1

or sub divide the for sale section to include specific folders for cars etc, to keep all in the one area as the mods have asked for?? - just another idea

macgregor...I DO have a Revell 1/12 F40, but not sure I want to part with it yet. I've agreed with the wife to 'audit' and maybe shrink the stash over this coming summer, so I will keep your details to hand in case I change my mind.

Stash culls are oh so hard, I have sold things then re bought them years later when I have had a change of heart! Its difficult to know how your mood will take you, anyway keep me in mind!

Cheers Mac

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you make your for sale thread titles clear then there shouldn't be a problem, hence no need for separate areas within the sales/wanted areas. :D

• 8 months later...

Not happening. It is tedious having to deal with people doing their own thing around the site and in the Buy and Sell area without following the quite simple rules as it is.

• Like 2

I understand exactly Greg.

Sadly though, there are still LOADS of people who just post 'For Sale'... or 'Stash Clearing'... with no clue as to what they are selling.

There are at this moment (10.54) there are thirteen postings on page 1, with no indication as to what they are. Ridiculous.

I think the reasoning for a separate cars/vehicles section is because there aren't many 'vehicles for sale' threads anyway, and when they get posted they are pushed off the page sometimes within hours, due to the plethora of aircraft 'bumps' etc...

Sometimes a car posting is on page 2 or even 3 within 24 hours.

However, I take your point about keeping tabs on stuff. It can't be fun.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Would it not make sense to have the wanted sections at least in the respective areas of the forum?

I agree that the buy/sell should be left how it is as separating it into even just the separate categories would cause people with varying interests to have to create multiple for sale threads.

However I think maybe the titles of the threads need to reflect the subjects for sale as Roy has mentioned above.

Ashley

• Like 1

Nope, there are rules on wanted and sales threads and people find it hard enough to follow them anyway. It would be almost impossible to moderate for sale and wanted if they are spread over the forum.

Each and every rule in place has a reason, a story, or issue that has lead to it being written.

It won't happen and to keep going on won't help.

So why can't a rule be added to make clear what kit subjects are for sale in each thread?

Simply 'kits for sale' doesn't help people looking for specific subjects.

Ashley

There are now 15 such 'for sale' threads on page 1 with no indication of content.

Greg - or any of the other mods - would it be ok to have a thread here entitled 'CHECK THE SALE-WANTED SECTION'.

NOTHING gets posted in the thread - not even a message, except a 'bump' every time someone adds something to the for sale/wanted area.

When we see the thread in bold, back at the top, we know something has been added to sale/wanted, and can go and look.

That way, all the sale stuff stays in the sale area, but the vehicle people get a heads up that new stuff is there.

Just a thought for a half-way solution.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

Yes I saw that comment and I agree with it totally. It's a simple rule to add and enforce really.

Moving the for sale into each modelling subject is I think too much. But I still can't see why the wanted section can't?

Surely it would be easier to see if someone is in need for something you have no use for. I for one rarely venture into that section so could easily miss an opportunity to help a fellow modeller lol.

Ashley

Nope, there will be a seller involved, do they have the right to sell on here? Are they banned from selling for some reason, it can't be monitored if you don't post in the required areas.

People lost money, for that reason the rules will stand as is. No amount of moaning and going on and on will stop this.

We can't moderate people that don't know how to promote their sales thread properly, so anyone with "Stash clearance" isn't doing themselves any favours. That's their look out, not ours. If you want to guarantee yourself a good target audience, make it clear what you're selling at the outset. People that don't like clicking links won't visit you otherwise to everyone's detriment :shrug:

As an aside, if you consider any area of the forum to be a "SERIOUS minority", then post more in there yourself, invite friends in the genre to join us, but please don't demand special treatment or grow a chip on your shoulder complaining that we're all ignoring you. It's not a positive way to go about things :fraidnot:

• Like 3

Richellis I can understand that people in that past have lost money and the need for rules to keep people in line. But the first part of your last post doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't seem to relate to anything mentioned recently in the topic with regards to dedicated wanted sections or rules on thread titles in the for sale section.

Mike the first part of your post about people selling and the titles they give to their threads. This is what we are suggesting. A simple rule that would make threads in the section read more like 'for sale: aircraft, armour and cars' etc.

This would be far easier to pick out for sale threads that interest the specific wants of each modeller. And tbh I can't see the reason for all this the rules are the rules stuff personally.

With regards to the minority issue. I myself haven't mentioned that on this topic though I do believe that non military subjects are a lesser part of this forum. But in itself that's why I originally came to this forum. I was interested in WW2 aircraft and still have a passing interest.

I also don't feel that we are demanding 'special treatment'

We're merely suggesting the possibilities of slight changes to help improve this forum. But any suggestions seem to be getting shot down without any discussion. Personal opinion there.

I for one am trying to remain positive about this but it's starting to become frustrating so I won't be replying to this topic anymore. I'd much rather just carry on posting my builds that get involved in debates.

Ashley

• Like 1

Some folks DO demand special treatment though. Like having their own buy/sell area despite everyone else rubbing along in the main one. :shrug: This thread wouldn't exist if they didn't.

Having a rule about posting your threads with meaningful titles will put a lot of additional workload on the Admins, which is a workload we can't and won't shoulder. If people aren't able to do that, then they don't really deserve many sales. Just like people that post up topics with meaningless titles and/or in totally the wrong area of the forum. No amount of rules would stop that kind of thing, because a lot of the time it's just laziness on the part of the poster, or a misunderstanding of how forums work.

On the subject of laziness, does it really take long to click on a thread to see what people are selling, then back out if it's not to your taste? :shrug:

Hello Mike.

My suggestion a few messages back wouldn't change anything on the forum, or how people buy and sell.

It would just give an indication to people that vehicles of some kind have been added to the multitude of aircraft in 'buy/sell'.

There would be no direct advertising, selling or links.

Just a 'bump' to put the message at the top in this section if you've posted in 'for sale - wanted'.

Surely, no modding would be needed?

Again - just trying to be helpful.

Roy.

• Like 1

Again, we're looking for special dispensation, which would open the floodgates for complaints or posts that if it's ok for you, why can't they do it to, or worse still just going ahead and bumping their bumps. It's just not practical, fair or workable and that's the end of the matter :shrug:

On the subject of laziness, does it really take long to click on a thread to see what people are selling, then back out if it's not to your taste? :shrug:

I don't think its laziness at all, when you have a large number of obscurely named for sale posts where you have to click into each to see what they are selling then its a waste of time. Take for example email systems like the ones on iPhones, there is a reason why the email title is there and then 3 lines with whats inside that particular email like a summary its there to help people who lead busy lives to become more efficient and this applies to obscurely titled forum posts... If its a case of a strain on the moderation then why not enlist a few people to become moderators? Possibly have moderators for the cars only areas so they can deal with that stuff while you guys carry on as normal?

For what its worth, my personal opinion is that it would be nice to have a specific for sale section for the different genres

• Like 1

I agree but it still seems it won't happen for various reasons.

However, I'd like to echo the sentiment about it not being lazy to open umpteen threads.

That's like saying you should view every tv channel to see what's on if Sky (or whoever) just post 'interesting program' in their listings.

I'm sure that the few people who have commented in this thread aren't the only ones who rarely bother with the 'sale/wanted' section as it's such a faff trawling through meaningless titles.

OK, as the mod's say, it's the sellers that loose out if nobody looks at the listing.

But so do prospective buyers who might buy something if they even knew it was there.

In that respect, 'sale/wanted' basically doesn't really work as it should.

Roy.

• Like 1

there are a number of other forums on the web where you can sell your stuff, most of them run via facebook,you can start your own,like you Roy,I feel in a minority as I am an armour builder, but the logo of BM is an aircraft and is mainly for flying thingys,most of which are the good 'ole USA junk(sits back and waits for it) :oops::rules::worms::humbug: Terry