Tamiya New Tool 1/350 Yamato +MK1/Pontos PE

A nice start with the PE Dave,

PE is one of many that takes loads of practice, even the most experienced modellers will make a hash of it on occasion. My being an average modeller means I make lots of nice looking PE, it may not look like the instructions or pictures more like a modern art masterpiece in small scale!

Thanks Justin

I bought a PE bending tool but just couldnt get on with it when bending the ladders, in the end I found it so much easier to just use 2 razor blades.

Attempted the railings and failed miserably, the small ones on the outer edge of turret I just couldnt work out how I was suppose to hold them. The taller ones I ruined one and decided it was time to leave it for another day

• Like 1

How bad is the ruined railing? The Flyhawk set has normal etched railings, they should be a close match so if you need the railing from my set, PM me! :mail:

It's well and truly ruined, it's not too bad though as it was the lion roar one so still got the pontos and mk1 railings left. I'm will save them for now until I get further in and have done a bit more PE, I have just ordered some needle nose tweezers which should help. Appreciate the offer though :)

I'm finding also that I don't really like the LionRoar PE kit, seems a lot more flimsy than the rest, there is a lot in the kit but they seem to have duplicated all the Tamiya PE to bulk out their frets, won't be buying LionRoar again

Edited by davetwin

An update of todays goings work, had the day off again.

Primed all my blast bags and main gun barrels using panzer grey Vallejo primer, this sprays really nicely with no thinners and can just pour back what I didnt use.

Stuck a bit of plastic in my chip ready for the milliput, now I have the plastic in it looks even less scary of a fix to make :speak_cool:

20140425_194943.jpg

Seeing as I needed to fix this I decided to get more filler on the seam, its so much better than before, nice and smooth, sides still left to sand and a bit of polishing to plastic before repriming.

20140425_195005.jpg

Another go at some PE, definately a lot of patience needed for these small rails but Im slowly getting there. Im hoping it looks a little bit better when the gator glue has dried, it does dry clear.

20140425_211736.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did say it wouldnt be a quick build. Here is a little update.

Spent a bit of time playing with milliput to get the feel for it and must say I am really loving the stuff, wet your fingers and its almost like using clay. I've got the white milliput.

So after having a play I made a first attempt at repairing my damaged hull and must say for the another first Im am quite impressed, I need to do a little more work then polish the plastic ready for repriming and painting. Yet another first was attempting to rescribe the lines.

I also learnt that my digital camera has a macro mode and macro zoom mode so spent some time learning to use it so should be able to get some better close up pictures now

What do you think

P1050849.jpg

P1050852.jpg

Flight deck completed, this took quite some time to complete but patience paid off, redid 2 rails as used the worng glue to start with which looked a bit messy

P1050861.jpg

P1050860.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 3

Thanks for the encouragement guys, Im really enjoying doing it when i get the chance.SWMBO got me a Revell USS Voyager for my birthday last week so I've got a stash now. Im already researching lighting it with LEDs for my next challenge

Another small update, not lots done but thought I would add some pictures of what has been done. Hopefully im not bombarding you all with too many pictures too often.

I am kind of jumping back and forward in the instruction manual rather than following their steps.

Lots of little parts cut off, cleaned up and ready for spraying. Its amazing how long it actually takes to get all these little bits ready

P1050871.jpg

P1050872.jpg

Bit of work on boat deck and more tiny bits added

P1050873.jpg

P1050874.jpg

More photo etch added to flght deck

P1050875.jpg

Turrets in varying degrees of build

P1050880.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 2

Repair is excellent, and the details are coming on nicely. If you have a separate box for each turret, you're going to need a good few boxes when you come to the AA armament!

• Like 2

Looks pretty sweet thus far. I've found that using those cheap pill boxes that people use to keep their daily tablets in are great for keeping completed AA guns from getting damaged.

• Like 1

Looks pretty sweet thus far. I've found that using those cheap pill boxes that people use to keep their daily tablets in are great for keeping completed AA guns from getting damaged.

Oooh - top tip! I have one of those going spare, and I hadn't thought of using it for that. Ta!

Thanks for the comments.

I did cut off all the triple 25mm AA guns and trim on a quiet night shift but ddnt get a picture. I do have 24 of those clip lock tubs as they were on offer in the local pound shop £1 for 6

Some more pictures, hopefully not picture overload. Let me know if the pictures are too big on screen as I do not resize them and am not sure if the forum does or not. They look fine when viewing on my tablet and phone.

Prepped the secondary gun barrels and replaced the plastic with turned brass

P1050881.jpg

P1050882.jpg

P1050885.jpg

All done ready for spraying

P1050890.jpg

Hull repaired, reprimed and final colour added, I am going to do a bit of gentle wet sanding on the bow to soften the rescribed lines as I think they look a bit sharp and rough, also a few at differernt angles to try and show the work at hiding that nasty seem, its not 100% but you have to really look for it to see it and I am very happy with what I have done with them. The little white specks you can see just wiped brushed off after I noticed them in the pictures.

P1050896.jpg

P1050898.jpg

P1050906.jpg

P1050910.jpg

You can just see the stand in the background with its matt black coating ready for varnish coat. You will notice that I did a pretty good job of the seam as it runs all the around the bottom of the hull however I didnt do such a good job with the seam running for to aft, not quite so happy with this one, I am not going to go back and redo it now as its not going to be seen once mounted on the base.

P1050911.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Time for another update.
I have cut all the planes and boats off of the sprus and cleaned them up. As you can see from the first picture the base and hull have had the gloss coat applied, I am undecided yet if I am going to leave the base in gloss or apply matt over it. You will also notice that I have started to apply primer to various parts, started priming before i realised I hadn't put the degaussing cables on. It took my ages to get all those dead lights on, there must be about 300 of them.
I have now decided to stop where I am and get the hull finished, decals, matt coat and then get the upper hull attached so I can finish the de-gaussing cables and get the upper hull all sprayed up.
Lets see if anyone notices the little error I have made on 2 of the turrets

P1050916.jpg

P1050918.jpg

P1050919.jpg

P1050923.jpg

P1050924.jpg

P1050925.jpg

P1050926.jpg

P1050927.jpg

P1050928.jpg

P1050930.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 2

Time for another update, Not a great deal of progress as working shifts and jobs left by SWMBO have limited my time.

I have resized my images now so hopefully shouldnt fill your screens up.

I am probably not doing things in the most efficient way but I am really enjoying myself and as I have previously said am not in any hurry. This is showing the hull all assembled and screwed down rather than just dry fitted as in other pictures. Will finish the de-gaussing cable over the next few days then the upper hull is ready for spraying, then I can fit the wooden deck.

IMG_2014053031106.jpg

In the meantime I have started to prepare more small bits ready to spray and stick on after the deck has been applied. This has involved more PE work, starting with the rear gun platform which has had sandbags from the MK1 PE kit added as well as MK1 rails, their rails are really nice giving a chain effect. This was the first time doing rails and just these rails alone took me hours. I think they came out pretty good. They do look a bit rough in some areas but this is full zoom on macro zoom mode.

IMG_2014053052820.jpg

One hose real completed

IMG_2014053011800.jpg

3 hose reals completed

IMG_2014053040623.jpg

More railings, this one was a bit easier

IMG_2014053024313.jpg

Finally all the little parts ready for spraying

IMG_2014053050323.jpg

All comments and reccomendations welcome

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 1