Tamiya New Tool 1/350 Yamato +MK1/Pontos PE

Really enjoying this - your making me want to buy one too. In the mean time, I'm more than happy to sit here and watch you do all the hard work :)

Looking forward to the next installment

MH

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I did find that using the camerea macro zoom did help me to make some touch ups :winkgrin:

Madhatter, this really is a fantastic kit to work with, everything just fits together, the only 'real' work was the hull join.

Another small update.

I have deflated myself a little bit since my last upate. When I sprayed up the upper hull and small little bits I made a bt of a mistake and have been pondering what I should about it.

The issue is that I read that airbrush cleaner sprayed on the model is good for cleaning any finger grease off before spraying so i gave the parts a once over with this. My problem being that I thought that the cleaner wouuld evaporate quicker, so I didnt leave it long enough to dry out.

When i started spraying the primer (Vallejo) it was watery due to the airbrush cleaner still on the model, I then made a further mistake of just spraying some more not thinking at the time it was the cleaner. The end result is that the primer is a little too thick and in the out area it has pooled.

It sounds worst than what it actually is and you need to get really close to see it, I am thinking about just leaving it as is and spraying the top coat as due to all the little details added to the upper hull it would be extremely difficuly to sand down.

If anyone can offer any advice with regards to removing Vallejo (Acrylic Polyurethane) primer easily and safely withough affecting the lower hull I would consider it to get a better job on the upper hull.

In the meantime I have assembled a couple more small parts, I am really getting the hang of this PE work now :D

20140605_210718.jpg

544d2f9f-51ca-4bad-a8d9-62ae8af2a886.jpg

IMG_2014060647843.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 2

Not had much time to get much modelling done due to family life getting in the way, here is a little update as to what I have been doing

All the little bits in post 50 have been stripped back from when I put the primer on too thick and are now ready for repriming.

Been doing a bit more PE, first picture shows the external boat housings (not sure of the correct name), PE ladders, railings and boat winch thingie attached to both sides. Excuse the shiney glue marks.

P1060006.jpg

Turret number 1 finished and ready for painting

P1060005.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 3

Very nice Dave, especially the etched chain railings. Did you put the sag in the chain or is that how they come? Looks great either way! :-) :-)

• Like 1

Very nice Dave, especially the etched chain railings. Did you put the sag in the chain or is that how they come? Looks great either way! :-) :-)

Thanks Jockster, theses railings are from the MK1 set and have the sag already in, they are much better than the Pontos ones in that respect

Great work Dave.

The problem you have had with the paint spraying, just take it a bit slowly, thats the secret with paint, 'let it have a few hours between coats', what ever coat you use :winkgrin: .

She is looking very good shipmate, the macro shows how good it is. 'nice one'. :speak_cool:

Foxy :coolio:

Time for a small update and some pictures.

Cut up the parts for the smoke stack and made up the internal PE parts, pictures just show dry fitted. II know that some of the ladders look wonky but it really doesnt look that bad in the flesh, using macro zoom and then zoomed in so shows warts and all.

P1060017_20140620_213846.jpg

P1060020_20140620_213903.jpg

P1060021_20140620_213918.jpg

Next lot of pictures show some of the small ladders for the secondary turrets and the 1 secondary turret finished pre paint. Excuse the gaps on the turret base sides, I stuck the side bits on the wrong way round so had to cut them off and correct, nothing a bit of filler wont sort out.

P1060022_20140620_213943.jpg

P1060023_20140620_213953.jpg

P1060025_20140620_214008.jpg

P1060026_20140620_214023.jpg

P1060027_20140620_214034.jpg

Thanks for looking, any and all comments welcome :D

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments and watching. I am currently trying to decide if I should put the railings on the whole now, I am thinking it would be easier to paint at the same time as the hull.

My other way of thinking is spray the it final colour, then attach the wooden deck and then spray the railings before fitting (while still on their frets) then do any touch up afterwards. Or even mask the wooden deck and spray when on, but that mean masking the sides as well. Decisions decisions

Just thought I woud give a quick update.

No pictures with this one, the past week I have just been cutting all the parts for the 12.7cm and all the 25mm guns off of the sprues and cleaning them up.

Its surprising how much time all these little parts take to do.

Hopefully some more pictures soon

Just a very small update, unfortunately I have not been getting too much time for modelling over the last couple of weeks as work has been getting the way as well as this beutiful weather that we have been having here in Wiltshire resulting in lots of family time.

I installed the railings rond the entire hull now from the MK1 PE set as well as cut numerous parts off of sprues, cleaned up and dry fitted as can be seen in the 2 photos.

I just need to prime the railings then the hull is ready for its paint, after which I will attache the wooden deck then put away in a box while I concentrate on the rest.

Thanks for looking

20140703_175639.jpg

20140703_175728.jpg

• Like 4

The 'horns' look brilliant in brass, I'm using the kit ones! Mildly envious of you, but I totally get the jumping around the manual bit.... there's so much going on with this kit! :-)

Very enjoyable build, so much to do!

• Like 1

I have been ploughing on with the photoetch and made quite some progress, pictures of current progress of the superstucture top to bottom as well as the smoke stack. I will be leaving them all as sub assembies as I am thinking they will be easier to paint this way. The long ladder on the smoke stack is currently just dry fitted to show all the PE lined up correctly :D

P1060128_20140712_173225.jpg

P1060129_20140712_173223.jpg

P1060130_20140712_173226.jpg

P1060131_20140712_173224.jpg

P1060127_20140712_173226.jpg

P1060125_20140712_173227.jpg

P1060124_20140712_173223.jpg

Edited by davetwin
  • Like 3