Red Arrow Hawk 1/32 - backdated to the Kemble days- Nearly there

This is looking really nice. Would you not be better retouching with paint rather than decal film?

Fair question. White paint does not cover red very well; it's too translucent. It would take several coats and, quite frankly, look a bit of a mess Using decal I can easily cover any red or white creep and ensure a nice, sharp demarcation line to boot

Beautiful. Really nice clean work.

Kind word Nimrod. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

That is looking real nice, Brave masking and well worth it, Looks very striking, I like the original white band continued down the centre rather than the current Royal Air Force branding. Looks great. ;)

• Like 1

You guys are just great. Thanks for all the kind words. Bm is just the bees knees and the canine's danglies

She looks superb Andy well done matey look forward to seeing her on the ramp.

Clive

I have just managed to negotiate something with the operators of Kemble airfield, er sorry, Cotswold Airport, in regards to the 'ramp' so watch this space. Won't so say too much but it could be quite touching for me and my family

• Like 1

I have just received the Evolution of the Red Arrows supplement with my latest IPMS mag. Whilst an very good and professional looking booklet there are a couple errors in there which I think I need to mention here as it has a direct impact on this build, and for completeness for those who have this issue as well

First it mentions that the ROYAL AIR FORCE titling was black until 1991. This is not the case. It always has been roundel blue. The 1981 team brochure which I have, for example, clearly shows this.

Secondly, the change in arrow proportions has not been covered.

There are a few other issues but as far as my era is concerned, that is all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, as I am drawing to as close I need some help (hawkkeeper, Brian per chance?) I have built the model as Brian Hoskins mount, namely XX251. At this time in the Hawks life, they did not have the temperature probe on the starboard nose. But what I have noticed, a few (and XX251 being one of them) had something in the same position but on the port side. Does anyone know what it was? An AOA vane? A version of a temp probe?

• 2 weeks later...

on port side circular panel below windscreen forward edge is a air probe for engine usage monitoring equipment, the recorder is usually mounted behind the rear ejection seat head box [parachute] on EUMS a/c the recorder replaces the canvas F700 stowage bag,.

aircraft is looking great too.

Edited by Hawkkeeper

First it mentions that the ROYAL AIR FORCE titling was black until 1991. This is not the case. It always has been roundel blue. The 1981 team brochure which I have, for example, clearly shows this.

That's perfectly correct and I believe that that information is a mis-interpretaion of colour photos taken at the time. The inscription was certainly Roundel Blue when I saw them at Kemble in April 1980 :-

oBMmM7b.jpg

Dennis

thank you Dennis. Good photo of XX251 clearly showing the EUMS probe

Regarding that particular probe. I have just checked the photos taken that day and as well as XX251, the only other Red Arrows Hawk to have it fitted was XX257 the remainder, including the spare/photo aircraft XX291 in r/w/LAG, didn't.

XX304 was just out of the paint shop in full Arrows markings but did not have a CFS decal applied.

Flying, including air-to-air photography, was curtailed due to the low cloud base.

About five years later, my nephew photographed XX297, in full Arrows scheme, in a vertical climb over the Severn Estuary fitted out with c/l gun pod and pylon mounted AIM-9's. When this mod came in I have no idea.

HTH

Dennis

probably done to demonstrate the Reds would be a full on operational local air defence squadron if the need ever arised, all the TWU T1A aircraft would be dispersed to airfields with no local fighter cover, such as the large aircraft & helicopter bases.

Regarding that particular probe. I have just checked the photos taken that day and as well as XX251, the only other Red Arrows Hawk to have it fitted was XX257 the remainder, including the spare/photo aircraft XX291 in r/w/LAG, didn't.

Dennis

Could this have been anything to do with the engine throttle slam modification which I understand was first applied to the aircraft used by the Reds? When the photo was taken maybe it had only been incorporated on those two aircraft.

Peter