Red Arrow Hawk 1/32 - backdated to the Kemble days- Nearly there

It was Speeder's Fighter Pilot topic (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234938966-fighter-pilot-collection-the-80s-bbc-series/page-2?hl=+fighter +pilot +bbc) that galvanised me to do this build. As already stated on that thread, it caused mixed emotions for me, so I decided to make this model in memory of my father.

In October 1980 my dad joined the Red Arrows ground crew (Iater to become one of their Cheifys), and left in September 1983 to go on the Hunter MU at Abingdon.

During that time I became a veritable hangar rat. I climbed over the Hawks more times than I care to remember. I remember with great affection the Families days and the children's Christmas parties, where my dad ensured that Father Christmas (aka the Wing Co) always gave me a model aircraft as a present. When we would walk through the hangars on out way home we would tie party balloons to the pitot tubes.

Now this is not a true WIP, for there are better ones already on this forum, which I used to help me, namely:

Geedubelyer's http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65566-revell-bae-hawk-t1-red-arrows/page-1?hl=+hawk +work +progress and

Markmarples http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63278-my-132-hawk/page-1?hl= hawk work progress

What this build is for is to show you what needs to be done to correctly model a Red Arrow Hawk when they were at Kemble, so here it goes:

First off the control columns. The one on the left is unmodified whilst the one on the right has been altered to more accurately depeict the stick. I cut the column upper portion off and restuck it leaning slightly to to left, which is how I remember they appeared to me. It also matches what I have seen in various pictures.

DSCF0001_zps69af8a8b.jpg

The next thing I did was the first modification to backdate the model. The Hawks were not fitted with the smoke indicator lights on the comings until mid 1983. I cannot recall ever seeing them fitted. I suspect they appeared to just before they went on their US tour, which was when they were at Scampton. So off they came. I used the CMK set and the scalpel points to where the indicators were (now removed)

DSCF0002_zps42f67958.jpg

The next thing to tackle, and one of the biggest changes, was to change the ejector seats to the earlier Mk 10s with the wider headbox. I first drew them on plasticard and chose the ones I though looked the best.

DSCF0003_zps5c2ca5ce.jpg

Edited by andy wood
  • Like 4

I glued the 'ears' to the headboxes and filled them with scrap plastic. The early Mk 10s had bigger recesses for the pilots head so, these were made with more plasticard. At the moment the seats do not look that hot, but P38 filler will sort that out. I have to say the standard bang seats as supplied in the kit are very good. Apart from adding seatbelts, and the canvas covering the drogue chute on top, there is nothing else that need to be done to them. I honestly think that you would be wasting your money getting resin replacements, where all that would be required is some basic modelling skills. More to follow soon...

DSCF0004_zpsf94acca1.jpg

Edited by andy wood
  • Like 2

Kirk

I made the seats some months back, before Heritage Aviation brought theirs out :doh: . This is what mine look like now. The backpads were made out of milliput and the belts were from wine bottle foil. I counted each seat had 68 parts per seat belt set. Which leads me on to the next modification. Nowadays you will see Hawks have a blue apron over the rears seat belts when not in use, but I never saw those at Kemble. They just attached them to the quick release box, as I have depicted.

DSCF0011_zpsb77c68e2.jpg

• Like 5

I remember sitting in the garden of my Grandmother's house in Chalford watching the Arrows practicing over the other side of the Golden Valley so I am particularly interested in this build.

Martin

• Like 1

Nice work on the seats/cockpit Andy.

I'll be watching this with interest as I want (eventually :)) to make one or two of these as 1983/84 vintage Valley/Chivenor examples so the backdating info is perfect.

I have an idea that the windscreen was beefed up for bird strike protection - sometime after this era - so that the profile of the kit screen is wring for an early Hawk. Am I right? and is it something correctable do you think?

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Nice work on the seats/cockpit Andy.

I'll be watching this with interest as I want (eventually :)) to make one or two of these as 1983/84 vintage Valley/Chivenor examples so the backdating info is perfect.

I have an idea that the windscreen was beefed up for bird strike protection - sometime after this era - so that the profile of the kit screen is wring for an early Hawk. Am I right? and is it something correctable do you think?

Cheers

Steve

Steve

You are absolutley correct about the windscreen. I remember seeing it covered on the forum here. If I find it I will pin it to this build. If any one else can find it let me know. IIRC it was the lower front edge that changed. Nothing some micro mesh and milliput wouldn't sort.

Love what you have done so far,one question ,when did the ejection seat change on the Hawk.

I think it was about 1987

Edited by andy wood

Found the article on the windscreen. It was in 32(SIG)s WIP http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62962-revell-132-hawk/page-9?hl=%2Bhawk+%2Bwindscreen but the relevant photos have now gone. If anyone out there can help please give me and Fritag a shout

Edited by andy wood

Slight hijack - does anyone know if the early seats are available in 1/48 scale? A quick check on the big H site came up blank.

Thanks

Peter

I bought the Neomega cockpit set for the 1/48 Hawk a while back, and they said it was available with either the early or the late seats, you just had to specify. I went for the early seats as I've got a red/white/grey airframe in mind. Don't know if it's still the case, but Neomega might be able to help.

Andy, nice work on the seats and the belts...looking good.

Thread hijack over,

Dean

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys. A small update. I drilled a number of holes in the fuselage to represent things such as hydraulic filter sighting windows and the like.DSCF0008_zpsace12f54.jpg

A few bits and bobs were added the cockpit tub to represent such things as cabin pressure valves, piping, Map/AP pocket, etc

DSCF0007_zps181e61e6.jpg

The cockpit sides had additions such as the anti g valves and LP fuel cockDSCF0006_zpse66f590c.jpg

And this is what it looks like painted

DSCF0014_zpsd8cba6d0.jpg

• Like 6

Photobucket is working again, so a small update for you.

Look what has come off in my hands!

DSCF0002_zps5e3b7654.jpg

Better fill the hole

DSCF0025_zps885f3919.jpg

More bits for the hole

DSCF0024_zpsa5d8af9d.jpg

A quick glance at the u/c bay

DSCF0026_zpsac1a9232.jpg

Those yellow things are the APs (T.O.s; AFMs, AMs to you Americans). Once I put the canvas cover over them they will most likely be invisible to the naked eye. The blue tapes are the leg restraints. In the early days of the Hawk, they would be wrapped around the control column (as depicted). It was not until later years that the ends of these cords were hooked either side of the HUD (which was removed, of course, from the Red Arrow aircraft). Have a look at the walkaround on this site to see what I mean. The tiny red thing below the firing handle in the seat pan is the safety pin

0e91269d-8f5e-4634-b578-f722b2810cc6_zps

• Like 3