Aurora's Super Spy Car: James Bond's DB5 wannabe

hendie

well, that's about 4 hours of my life I will never get back. I have spent the afternoon searching on line for those adhesive dots.

I can only find one supplier in the US (Amazon) who charge nearly $10, only have about 6 colors, and do not have clear!

I've used every search term I can think of and have come up blank.

I can find all sort of self adhesive gems / rhinestones / embellishments / findings etc but they all seem to be faceted, which I don't want, and you can only buy one size at a time.

The papermania dew drops seem widely available in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, but not here where the rhinestone cowboy is king!

• Like 1

Hi Hendie,

If you're really stuck, I have some Little Cars clear resin lenses, designed for just these jobs. They look like this

http://modelarmour.com/images/stories/Article_Images/Reviews_Images/_Aftermarket/LittleLenses/002.jpg

I have 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 and 4.5mm, all in clear. Do any of those sizes work for you? Happy to send you any.

Darren

If you're still stuck after that then you could try KFS-Kit Form Services, they cater for mostly 1/24 truck kits and aftermarket bits. Heck of a range of resin/etch/white metal bits including clear and coloured lenses of various styles/sizes.

I can only find one supplier in the US (Amazon) who charge nearly $10, only have about 6 colors, and do not have clear!

hendie, I am always puzzled why you only try to order stuff from the US, why not get stuff from the UK, or indeed anywhere?

• Like 1

^^^ 'cos generally, it is cheaper, and there's more variety. This is one of those times when that does not hold to be true.

I did get as far as "add to cart" with two of the UK websites, but it seemed their site was not designed to accept USA addresses.

Actually, I just received a 1/48 Mk5 Houchin GPU from Australia, got tons (well, a few bits) of Dalek stuff from China, and currently waiting on several pots of paint coming from Taiwan, also on the recent list is Italy, UK, and iirc Poland

Roy, Darren - thanks guys, I really do appreciate your offers, - Let me try again tomorrow and if I have no luck, I shall take you up on your offer.

well, that's about 4 hours of my life I will never get back. I have spent the afternoon searching on line for those adhesive dots.

I've used every search term I can think of and have come up blank.

I can find all sort of self adhesive gems / rhinestones / embellishments / findings etc but they all seem to be faceted, which I don't want, and you can only buy one size at a time.

The papermania dew drops seem widely available in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, but not here where the rhinestone cowboy is king!

Try here: http://www.buttercup-crafts.co.uk/papermania---self-adhesive-dew-drop-gems--heather-156-p.asp

Or here, if you need mass quantities:

http://www.craftsuperstore.co.uk/Special_Offers/Clearance/Papermania-PMA3721301-03-04-05.html

They don't seem to be available in the US of A. But here is something similar:

http://robinsnest-scrap.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=147&zenid=90605f16e0c4c859645879a77c5e55f3

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

Thank Space Ranger. I had actually been on those sites today -

Buttercup crafts is the website that only gives the option for UK postage.

Craft Superstore - I really don't want to buy 640 of them just to use 2

Robins Nest - that what I have been looking at most recently. Unfortunately, they do not provide dimensions of the dew drops.

Another UK site, the purchase page was unsecure

3 more UK sites - all out of stock

I think I will just have to go and buy a few individual sizes.

I just find it hard to believe I can't find it on the interwebby thing

but thanks everyone for your input

Robins Nest - that what I have been looking at most recently. Unfortunately, they do not provide dimensions of the dew drops.

Description of the "Clear Daisy Dew Drops" on the Robins Nest site says "Clear 4 mm dew drops in a lip gloss container. Great for all types of craft projects."

• Like 1

Buttercup crafts is the website that only gives the option for UK postage.

Why not give them a call? I am sure they can manage to write out an address to the US and would appreciate the business - and you pointing out that they could get more if they widened their horizons.

Hendie, the work is superb. Really makes me want to get out of my box of aircraft and get this car to relieve my youth. The James Bond movie featuring this car was just on one of the local stations. Secondly, I feel your pain when trying to order from English companies. Within the last 6 months it has become increasingly difficult. You never know if the tiny little lenses you are seeking have now been placed on the terrorist watch as somehow they will combine with the ozone layer and destroy Iceland on the way over to the United States.

• Like 1

Hope you get to feeling better Hendie. Nigel, sorry for the typo. Jake is one of the alpha horses, but for some reasons he does not obey or behave for others. For me, he follows me around like a dog. I think it is because evil recognizes evil.

• Like 1

sorry Nigel, I'm fighting off a man cold tonight and feel like crud

I am sorry to hear this. Get well soon.

Nigel, sorry for the typo.

Don't be sorry, it gave me a lot of amusement. It is so good to have you back.

Another update at last - it wasn't the build that stalled (sort of!) - it was me. Starting off last weekend with a man cold which I only just got rid of, a few other things going wrong during the week including the wife's car breaking down (and she didn't know where she was!) but hopefully all those things are now behind me.

Part of the reason for the delay in the build was that I was waiting for "lights" arriving from the far east. Well, they finally arrived... advertised as 3mm - turned out to be only a smidgin over 2.5mm! WRONG!

S5000611.JPG

Then I happened to be in my local Walmart and I came across these in the craft section - I am sure I looked there before and never spotted these. These are just over Ø3mm which is what I was looking for. The one thing I'm not sure about is that they are faceted, which I was trying to avoid, but since they are so small, it's quite difficult to see the facets, so I think they will do the job.

It also reminds me of the old Dinky toys which always had the faceted gems as headlamps etc.

S5000609.JPG

A quick trial shows me that size wise, they are good. The red is maybe just a touch too pink, but beggars can't be choosers. It'll work one way or the other.

S5000586.JPG

If you look at the tail lamps on the DB5, you will notice that the brake light and the indicator are the old land rover type of housings - kind of pointy. But the reflector which is at the top of the cluster, is flat.

So, I grabbed a couple of the red gems and stuck them to a stick.

S5000590.JPG

That allowed me to scratch them back and forth over some sandpaper, to remove the dome shape, followed by micromesh for a quick polish up.

S5000603.JPG

Another quick dry fit and everything is looking okay. It's hard to tell, but the flat one is on the extreme left here.

S5000614.JPG

I still have to paint the tail light cluster, but that will be done along with the bodywork.

I am definitely getting closer and closer to painting the body work, but I keep finding all these little jobs which I need to get out of the way first.

Whose bright idea was it to stick an AA badge on the front of the grill ? I mean, c'mon, can you see the venerable Mr. James Bond calling the AA ? ... "Yes, Mr Bond, just stay with your car, leave the bonnet up and we'll be along in 3 - 5 hours... maybe"

Of course, because it's there means I have to do something with it or it will bug me forever.

S5000593.JPG

It probably took me around 10 minutes to get the yellow on the AA badge, and that's without painting the actual "AA" yet. That'll be a nightmare! Good job I just did a quick google, for some reason I had it in my head that the "AA" was black - back in those days it was all chrome.

(btw, the front grill has had the alclad treatment, but it really dulled down when I gave it a coat of clear gloss acrylic)

S5000595.JPG

I also had to deal with the front side lights - the one's that fold down to reveal the machine guns. - Sorry I didn't take more photo's....

I had saved the aluminum rivet's from my earlier tire shredding build. I also had some pins and the heads on the pin fitted nicely inside the rivet. I cut the rivet down, super glued the pin inside the rivet, and then sanded the face flush. These were then sprayed with alclad

S5000517.JPG

Then using one of the little Walmart gems, I stuck that on top of the remainder of the rivet, and it was ridiculously difficult to photograph!

S5000597.JPG

The pin was then bent over. The photo below shows the position they'll be in when fitted to the car. These shall protrude from the opening, just below the machine guns.

S5000599.JPG

And my last update for today concerns the head lamp lenses/covers. Those of you following this thread will know that I tried casting clear resin to make some copies of the Airfix lenses that I have. It kind of worked in that I got good copies, which were nice and clear, but it sort of didn't work because this is now several weeks later and the lenses and still not fully hardened. I can leave a nail print in them if I press hard enough. Additionally, because they are flat on the back, and convex on the face, they act like magnifying glasses making it difficult to see the headlamp clearly.

Okay then, I'll have a go at crash molding! Why not? I seem to be trying all sorts of new skills on this build.

And of course, I forgot to take photo's of the process.

However, you can see below that I took two small pieces of plywood, and a hole saw. Then sandwiched some clear styrene between them, held tight with some screws. The sandwich was then put in the oven for a few minutes, and when the plastic was soft enough, I slammed the Airfix lens (stuck on the end of a stick with some blu-tac) hard into the softened plastic.

S5000601.JPG

I then cut out the new lens, trimmed it a touch and then started sanding the lens on some micromesh.

S5000604.JPG

It took me a while - sand, dry fit, sand, dry fit, sand etc. etc. etc. until I finally managed to get one lens reasonable close.

S5000606.JPG

and from the front....

S5000608.JPG

It (the lens) still needs some refining and a good polish, and to be completely honest... I am not sure how good the final fit will be, but it's about the only way I can make a lens for this that is reasonably close to the DB5 style. The kit parts were worthless.

I am still sanding the front of the flipping car... there's a couple of small divots/cracks/holes or whatever, that I can't seem to get rid of. I must have primed the front of the car about 6 times, and always spot yet another bit that needs attention. That's the only thing holding up the body shell being sprayed... well, that and me getting around to mixing up a color.

I was going to try and start that this weekend, but I am heading up to Lake Erie for some training next week, and as I'll be gone most of the week, I didn't want to start the spraying until I knew I had plenty of time

Edited by hendie
  • Like 3

It is good to see you are up and well and building again. I really do like the work on the taillights. And do not fret on the headlamp lense. It is looking quite good for your effort and I believe you will be able to shape it to the opening with a bit more fiddling, sanding . . . . Looks impressive.

How bout doing something truly crazy and combining Pete's idea and Nigel's. I think the combination would solve your color problem while adding a pretty good illusion of depth at the same time. Together they are brilliant!

• Like 2