First for the year, Airfix Gnat.....

My over Christmas build, a gift from the Step Mos in law, nice lady asks me what I'd like, deffinitely not sox!!! Nice asasy build a little care need with the intake inside plates other wise a doddle. Thanks to Airfix, there new toolings are superb.

The Gnat depicts one of those used on the Dummy Deck at the School of Aircraft Handling, RNAS Culdrose.

My thanks to Parabat for the Red Arrows decals and Gary Siddall from the Aerobatic Teams SIG for the serial numbers, have a look at their new ebsite @ www.aerobatic-teams.org.uk

IMG_0495_zpsfecb1aef.jpg

Thanks for looking

Colin

• Like 1

Nice build Colin.

How was the cockpit? was it adequate for the scale? I've been thinking of buying this kit for a long time now but, I was always disappointed by the sparse cockpit Airfix was offering. From what I hear this is a new kit - mould so, they probably offer a good cockpit (you know, ejection seats, control sticks, instruments panels, etc)?

Cheers

Sernak

Nice build Colin.

How was the cockpit? was it adequate for the scale? I've been thinking of buying this kit for a long time now but, I was always disappointed by the sparse cockpit Airfix was offering. From what I hear this is a new kit - mould so, they probably offer a good cockpit (you know, ejection seats, control sticks, instruments panels, etc)?

Cheers

Sernak

Hi Thanks for looking, yes I was happy with the amount of cockpit deatil, seperate seats, instrument panel decals and side consoles.The cockpit is very small so not a lot of deatil needs to be added,seatbelts and ejector seat handles will do. Yes this is a new tool and far superior to the first release. I can reccommend the kit.

Colin

Choosing to model an aircraft from the SAH is a nice twist to a familiar classic. Do you have any photos or links to other SAH aircraft including the Gnats, possibly from the 1980's?

Nice model, good stuff.

Very nice Colin - what red did you use? I have Xtracrylix Red Arrows Red but it looks more the colour of tomato soup - sort of orangy.

Pat

Hi Pat, Tamiya X-7 over a couple of coats of white aerosol primer. I don't usually use acrylics but it was all I had!

Bunny, It's the same on the other side, sorry only took the one pic.

Shockhead I could only find one pic in a photo book about Culdrose. Have you tried the Aircraft Handellers Accositation?

Thanks for looking

Colin

Nice build Colin.

Cheers

Sernak

In my opinion, considering how tight things are in a Gnat, I would say Airfix did a decent job with the pit considering for the back cockpit they give you both sidewall detail and elements that make up part of the intake trunking:

ckpit3.jpg

Granted, Pavla resin would be better (especially if you open the pit), but for an OOB build, the Airfix pit works with some tape for the seatbelts.

BTW, nice Red Arrows Gnat Heloman!

In my opinion, considering how tight things are in a Gnat, I would say Airfix did a decent job with the pit considering for the back cockpit they give you both sidewall detail and elements that make up part of the intake trunking.

Hi JMChladek,

Yes, by looking at the picture you have uploaded I'll have to agree with you that for an OOB build the cockpit Airfix is providing us is adequate. Yet, have you ever been into an F-104 cockpit? Now, that's really tight but Hasegawa did manage to produce an excellent cockpit not only for the single-seat version but also, for the twin-seat version.

Now, buying Pavla's detail set? Well, I don't think so. At least not for this scale. If it was for a 1/48 Gnat then, I would seriously considered.

Cheers

Sernak