perdu

You give me too much credit young man

I'll just sit back and enjoy it first though

Perfect Plastic Putty

Not bad, but can only be regarded as an advance when used as a skin

Which is when it really is very good, quick drying easy sanding

No pictures but today mostly sanding the roof down

And shopping

tamiya primer and some Evergreen strip to use for prop blades, my cut strips have been a couple of thou out in places

And although many people wouldn't know I have been blessed/cursed with the "size eye" which means I can see the differences between a thou or two in an item and its neighbour

My mom had it too and used it frequently in her job during the War (WW11, I'm not THAT old) on the shop floor as progress chaser at Lucas's. Many a duff job was stopped from being sent out from the shop floor by Vi checking the work by eye

"That doesn't look right - checker look at this!"

So if it looks wrong to me, 'tain't coming through either.

Mind you that was handy as a tool maker for me and shocked a builder or two when I was in self-build :)

Has anyone any tips on using Tamiya primer? Spray away or decant and thin for the airbrush?

Might be pictures tomorrow, depends on further progress

Oh yes, moulding from this to sell it?

Not really interested, but might make a few sponsons for people who have found the elusive Aeroclub beauty, PM me

Night all

bill

I wish I could have found the Aeroclub model, I wouldn't have made this scratch build though and since I have not spent twenty quid on exclusive materials I am ahead of the sixty plus dollars quoted on a US based website

b

• Like 1

Hi Keef

P P P is made by 'Deluxe Materials' www.deluxematerials.com

I found it on ebay and a small donation via paypal of just over a fiver got it in the post on the Tuesday after ordering it when I found it on Friday

(cant remember whether I paid extra for P&P so a look round at Coisford is in order I reckon

Dries quite quick and easy to sand, but like most fillers does not like being used to fill huge holes :(

As for Belfast's baby, mostly making prop blades today. Five finished and now I'm beginning to open the spinner's holes to take a feathered blade or five :)

Since the Sherpa will have its blades feathered and the engines off I will be covering all the requisite "remove before flight covered items" up and flagging them

I am still not sure about the canopy moulded outer skin, changes may be afoot :(

But not 'til after Cosford, as I might pop a Wessex or two in the comp for the hell of it. I wish they were still having the comp in the lower hangar instead of the Cold War conference centre. It would have been nice to see XR525 in real life as well as on the table

Oh well, such is life...

b

Cheers Bill - same people that do the non smelly superglue I use. Shall get some to try, could do with something quicker drying than the usual Squadron Green stuff.

Some of us from the club are hoping to get to Cosford on Sunday, are you on one of the club stands? We're just out for a day trip - passes signed by all the bosses hopefully...!! And that's probably why we missed the comp last year, if it was hidden away in the Conference Centre!

K

Hi y'boss-ship, that filler will at least stop the bird from blowing away when the garage door is open ;)

I couldn't find an Aeroclub kit when I wanted to begin so this is how it had to be

If I ever decide to make a USArmy version I will vac a clear fuselage so the windows can be made easily

Depends on getting the nerve to make another ten propblades too :(

Iwish I'd cornered the market in Aeroclub Shorts 330s

Hope to see a few BMs at Cosford, spent all afternoon repairing stowage damage to a paiir of Wessexxii Legs and antennae...

oh well soon be Sunday

More on this after Sunday, nothing done at all today except mark off the first spinner to accept the blades in parked up configuration

cheers

bill

Edited by perdu

Well that was a bit of a let down, meeting with like minded chaps wise

I didnt get to meet any of you

I did get to meet dr_gn of fabulous SE5a fame and my dear friend the lovely Harriet and of course enjoyed the walk around the show

A few sharp eyed folk will have seen the P&W F-100 engine wrapped for transporting on its travelling frame on the IPMS Bham table (OK top of our new upstands)

I know Harriet did because she mentioned knowing what it is, thanks honey

I saw an Aeroclub vac form Sherpa on the USAF Special Interest table. lovely subtle detail on the flying control surface ribbing on that

I'm sure my undercarriage sponson shape is better but it would have been nice to have had a vac form to work from

oh well cest la vie

bill

• Like 1

Yes, sorry Bill, I wandered past your stand a couple of times during the day, but didn't spot anyone with a badge saying Bill on it - and as I get ever more short sighted, trying to read such badges without it looking that you are staring at people is getting more & more difficult..... :(

You'd have spotted me by my old man's big 'modelling belly' Keef :)

Seems ages since I posted, mostly because it's been ages since I had anything to show you...

I used my Perfect Plastic Putty on the roof, here's the first rub down. Lots more to sand gently away but very quick drying and receptive to sanding easily

sherpabuild14April001_zps158913f7.jpg

Since Steve seems to be having second thoughts about using a skin on top of a canopy moulding what do you think of this fit?

Shall I leave it as is or remove it and make a new clear canopy and go the masking off route with it?

Your input will be very welcome here, please chaps.

Here's the uncleaned upside view, to be honest I quite like the look now it has polished up sweetly The framing has to be cleaned up too but this seems to be what I expected

sherpabuild14April002_zpsa72c8c7d.jpg

Anyway< I've been doing more than just agonising

I have been making and fitting flap and aileron hinges

The flap hinges needed ten hinges the same so I made a jig to enable accurate hole drilling before I cut the plastic strip, Evergreen to the rescue again I'd be b*ggered without Slater's and Evergreen in this build :)

Here's the drill side ready for work with a few blanks ready for 'trimming shop'

sherpabuild14April028_zpsa621984b.jpg

Here is where the workpieces were slotted in two at a time for drilling

sherpabuild14April029_zps9a6fd2da.jpg

Finished drilled blanks were shaped to this drawing

sherpabuild14April032_zpseff8a36c.jpg

I made some spares just in case oif the carpet monster

sherpabuild14April050_zpsbc768431.jpg

The aileron hinges are different to the flap hinges and have to have mass balance weights and levers attached below the wings

Here are the mass balance levers ready to be attached The round shapes at the end of the levers are turned off a plastic cocktail stick in my Expo drill which allowed me to turn the convex side shape into each piece. When these were added to the hinges the whole lot was then coated with Roket Odourless stuporglue to stiffen the connection between the differing plastics

sherpabuild14April055_zps1797dcdf.jpg

Like so

sherpabuild14April059_zps883455ca.jpg

Since I fitted these this afternoon I have begun detailing the surfce with its extra odds and ends Pictures of thses havent been done yet so this will be the last one for now

sherpabuild14April061_zpse911ac50.jpg

I've added details to the tailplane hinges and the rudders

Maybe tomorrow, for pictures, when the detailing is done I can begin to colour her in ;)

Thanks for looking, your responses have been amazing and very encouraging

ta

bill

Hi Bill, with regard to your flightdeck roof, IMO I think it looks fine - and suits the more 'agricultural' & chunky appearance of the Sherpa compared to the dainty little Chippie that Steve is building. Horses for courses maybe?

You'd have spotted me by my old man's big 'modelling belly' Keef :)

I've got one of them too....!!

keef

• Like 1

Looking good Bill, the aerial wheel barras' coming together nicely. Yes sorry about Cosford, I was never where I was supposed to be apparently and even missed myself twice going past in the wrong direction. Met dozens of folks that said they wouldn't be there and hardly anyone that said they would !! It's a crazy, hazy mixed up world that that we (I) live in....

Agree with you about Evergreen...a life saver along with brass rod and Twinings pure peppermint tea...

Thank you chaps, three fines (or was that twoandahalf General?) ;) means I will press on as intended ta. :thumbsup:

Roger thanks for your comment, I hope some of the disjointed build helps people out with similar plans for their modelling.

I'm not a great modeller I know but some ideas will work and some won't. This buiild is for me to find out which is which.

:):):):)

If it helps others, great.

bill

Hi Bill, with regard to your flightdeck roof, IMO I think it looks fine - and suits the more 'agricultural' & chunky appearance of the Sherpa compared to the dainty little Chippie that Steve is building. Horses for courses maybe?

I've got one of them too....!!

keef

Bill,

I'm a belated vote that the canopy looks good as it is - I reckon Keef's got it right there.

PS. I haven't got one of them too!! ('modelling bellies' that is). My missus makes me go to the gym.

PPS. Mind you - I may or may not be being candid - and I sure as heck aren't posting any pictures to try and prove it.....

Steve

• Like 1

Lowmojoitis this week :(

Still managed to make one prop and began final fairing and polishing the canopy joints

sherpabuild19April011_zps52e2d301.jpg

No it isn't fitted in, just a cruel optical illusion. Popped on top of the cowling for a test shot

I think the blades look reasonable so I'm thinking of casting from this and making a couple the same

Here is the finished item, blades feathered for parking with covers to be added

sherpabuild19April002_zps2c020ebd.jpg

sherpabuild19April004_zps1c85c992.jpg

Fitted the ramp hinges too, these look near enough right

I did make some about five times bigger...ooops

sherpabuild19April006_zpsa3833dd7.jpg

I'm happier now with the cockpit cover/canopy and have been smoothing a little thick putty over it, in real life it looks far smoother

In real life it will look smoother than this when finished

sherpabuild19April009_zps3be4dad6.jpg

lots of polishing to do and occasional screen trimming too

followed up with vacuuming out the dust inside the cockpit I reckon

Look at the mess in there :(

A little bit more to detail, humps and vents on the P&Ws etcetera

And I gave the opened door a coat of Tamiya primer ready to green.grey up soon too

More after the weekend chaps

But I doubt if I'll post much more of this stage, prolly wait til painting is underway

Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

right

first off, for Steve if it helps

I made a red background version of the FSS badge to line up a decal sheet printed version along the centre without getting white bleed in awkward places, if you need the red higher or lower just say where. Photoshop or even MS Paint will allow image size adjustment if it helps
fssnewlogo1amodredadded_zps88fcd258.jpg

By now you all think I got fed up, hmmm Not quite but things haven't been rosy lately

Pestilence and flood describes (nay defines) it perfectly, but at last things move forwards exceeding slow,

I am building a new compresssor for when I paints me baby, fridge motor sourced and tested

Ive an air intake filter set up and am awaiting a couple of odds and ends, the blow off valve is here ready and the regulator filter trap is on its way from Yarkshire

In the mean time, to keep my hand in I have been detailing t'exterior. Hinges on the relevant hatches and doors and cutting out and fitting NACA ducting to the engine nacelles

Hack out a cavity then fabricate a sheet metal cover with the ducts cut out, two each side of each nacelle

edit time [bugger I mean ONE each side on each nacelle doh...beer...beer...more beer] :(

But hey, did I say sheet metal? Whaddaya think my name is? Mr Brilliant soft drinks can ally man Nobby?

No, I haven't let in side panels of sheet ally, certain other innovative thinking of his instead

I cut out Solartrim panels with the curvy duct holes in 'em and plastered them both sides of each nacelle

when painted I expect to be able to see inside the duct to the real walls, fingers crossed.

This picture shows a: the duct panels on both engine nacelles b: the hinges around the emergency port exit and c: The canopy framing thinned down to scale thickness. The canopy frame awaits one scale upright to replace one that sanded right off :(

sherpabuild2May003_zpsdab94540.jpg

On the top front of the nacelles are two streamlined covers that need final fairing in and the sanding and filing marks need refining outly

Here's a look at the front showing the engines and frames. Much sanding remains to be done, the exact amount will show up when she is in primer

sherpabuild2May002_zpsd1c31318.jpg

Here's the tail door hinge detail on the port side with the doortop weather strip added too. Just a few odd little details like this make me feel far better about the project

sherpabuild2May005_zpsb1a0a565.jpg

Highlighting the details on the front cargo hold access door has also shown me that I'd forgotten to file the filler flush at the screen base framing

THIS is why I'm doiing a WIP! I'd almost forgotten that this is a modelling tool as useful as Mr Swann-Morton's number 2 blade
The canopy framing is as close as buggery to where I wanted it but the new "added on" eyebrow frames are being thinned down now

The door/hatch has had its coat of Tamiya primer and a fairly gentle medium Micromeshing so the topcoat is next for this bit
sherpabuild2May007_zpseefdd6b2.jpg

This is the inside of that door which will be displayed lashed open so the Elsan unit and dinghy pack are visible, A fabric curtain will hang from the ceiling inside the door on the track let into the roof months ago

sherpabuild2May008_zps3e2f05e5.jpg

Finally a view of the port engine NACA duct area, looks reasonable to me from here but obviously lots of sanding and polishing ahead

sherpabuild2May009_zps38e8fc7c.jpg

I hope to lay colour primer soon then Sherpa can go places

Which happy time awaits time off from plumbing disaster repairs...

Cheers for coming back

that's NOT all folks

bill

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Very good Bill, I keep forgetting this is scratch built, keep thinking its the Aeroclub kit, as I saw one on the USAF SIG table at Milton Keynes in the Camo scheme