Acadamy 1/48 T33 Shooting Star

Rev.Light

I am currently building this kit in its current format - USAF grey overall trainer..

However I notice that there are some options in the kit for other versions - perhaps Armed.

There are two inserts for gun ports

The wings can have hard points - probably 4 rockets on each wing - but nothing is provided.

There is some 'gubbins' supplied on the sprues that look like it fills the rear cokpit instead of the seat - some boxes, etc.

There is an extra large/wide jet pipe that looks as if it will not fit in the fuselage.

So I suppose the questions are:

Did Acadamy ever do a different armed version of this kit?

Could it be that the sprues in the kit can be used for a F80/P80 Shooting Star or a Starfire kit?

Who operated T33's in an armed capacity? Can decals be sourced for them?

Was there ever a single seat version of the T33 that was not a P80/F80?

Was the T-bird ever flown without the massive tip tanks?  I prefer the look of the plane without 'a la' F80 - but the kit does not provide wing tips.

Nice kit - although I did have problems mating the wings to the fuselage.

Cheers

Rev. Light

Edited by Rev.Light

I am not familiar with the kit, but as Hobbycraft also did an F-94B kit I guess that the wider jet pipe might be for this. IIRC the T-33 and Starfire kit shared part of the sprues.

To answer some of your questions, a number of latin american and asian countries received a version known as AT-33, that had underwing pylons for rockets or bombs. I can't remember out of my head which had this feature, a look on the web might answer the question. Regarding decals, Micro/Superscale did sheets for a number of latin american T-33s, it's likely that some of these could be done with weaponry.

The 2 guns could IIRC be fitted to every T-33, although this was not done often on the training aircrafts.

The equipment in the rear cockpit is likely for use in the RT-33 version: this version was flown as single seater as it had the rear cockpit occupied by various equipment. The canopy was however the standard 2-seater canopy

Well, the RT33 was a single seater T33, but the nose shape was very different.  Quite distinctive - not sure I would be able to scratch build one though.

I thnk the easier thing to do would be just to put in the guns for an AT-33 - say of the Mexican Air Force - I have seen decals for that - but the aircraft will have to be clean.

As for tip tanks - looks like they were permanent - have not seen a T33 without them. 

The Academy kit was actually a reboxing of the Hobbycraft kit wich, indeed was issued in different boxings. One of those boxings was named "co-in", and offered some decals for latin american T33s. They came with an added sprue wich offered some underwing stores such as bombs, rockets, etc....

Others may know more...

Cheers...

Re T-33 tip tanks. They were not permanent, always installed the pins when on the ground so they could not be accidentally jettisoned. Flying, well there is a pic in one of the Canadian history books showing one in flight with no tips, and credited to a specific pilot, but when I showed him the pic he said he didn't remember ever fly the T-Bird with no tips!! That is the only proof I know of that they can and did fly with no tip tanks.

My two pence worth!

I did actually find a picture of a Korean War T33 with different underwing tip tanks like those fitted to the F80.  So it would seem that although they can be removed, they rarely were, probably due to reduction in endurance.

I hope Acadamy get round to releasing other versions - especially the RT, as the nose on that looks quite attractive in an odd sort of way.....

I would have both the RT and AT.

Cheers

Re T-33 tip tanks. They were not permanent, always installed the pins when on the ground so they could not be accidentally jettisoned.

T-33 tip tanks were not jettisonable.  The earlier tanks that hung completely underneath the wing may have been, but the Sargent Fletcher tanks that attached horizontally to the tip were not jettisonable. 

The extra large jet pipe is for the F-94A & B kits, released by Hobbycraft many moons ago. They also did an RT-33 kit. Both the F-94 Kits and the RT-33s have separately moulded fuselages, upon which are attached all the gubbins from the T-33 kit. For further adventures, why not see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234932886 ?

W

This kit is the same mold from the ancient Hobbycraft one.

Good, but need some mods to accurate it, mainly in the low fus/wings joint, being the old Testors/Hawk

much more accurate;

Did Academy ever do a different armed version of this kit?

-Yes, the CO-IN version .

Could it be that the sprues in the kit can be used for a F80/P80 Shooting Star or a Starfire kit?

-yes, but the wings/MLGBs are much more accurate in the Monogram's F-80.

-Latin American Air Forces

Was there ever a single seat version of the T33 that was not a P80/F80?

-No

Was the T-bird ever flown without the massive tip tanks?  I prefer the look of the plane without 'a la' F80 - but the kit does not provide wing tips.

-Yes, but You will need some good books, like SS Publications, or Google !

Good Luck , and show Us Your model .

Tonka

At the risk of throwing cold water on the whole thread, the Academy kit was copied from the Hawk mold, only they introduced even more errors than the Hawk kit had.  While it looks like a T-33 from a distance (if you squint your eyes at lot), it leaves much to be desired if you want an accurate model of a real T-33. 

It's hard to believe we have wonderful kits of so many obscure and historically unimportant airplanes (Trumpeter 1/48 Me509 anyone?), yet we're stuck with crap for something as ubiquitious and loved as the T-bird.

Sad state of affairs...

J

I`ve got the old Revell kit (ex Hawk?) and the new Academy kit which I would like to do as a Royal Canadian Navy aircraft with the White Ensign on the tail and dayglo nose with code numbers surrounded by silver, which is the best kit and does anybody do a set of decals?

I did consider the Belcher decals but although the 72nd scale sheet had the option that I wanted, with silver surround to the nose numbers, the 1/48th sheet didn`t have that option on it!

All the best

Tony O

I`ve got the old Revell kit (ex Hawk?) and the new Academy kit which I would like to do as a Royal Canadian Navy aircraft with the White Ensign on the tail and dayglo nose with code numbers surrounded by silver, which is the best kit and does anybody do a set of decals?

I did consider the Belcher decals but although the 72nd scale sheet had the option that I wanted, with silver surround to the nose numbers, the 1/48th sheet didn`t have that option on it!

All the best

Tony O

Tony,have a look here there are 3 different schemes.

http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=64&pg=20

At the risk of sounding like a modeller, the Academy T-33 DOES look like a T-33. I've built a couple and been pleased with the end result.

DSCF1921.jpg

T3318.jpg

It's not one of those kits that sparks an 'Internet Argument' so there are no major correction sets and the like out there. The True Details cockpit does improve the interior somewhat. IIRC, Academy also provice blanking plates for the gun ports.

Edited by Wolfpack

Well, I was impressed enough to consider doing a second one with some aftermarket enhancements.

But then I am only doing it for fun to while away the evenings whilst the soaps are on - I do not even have a spray gun!

Which means I might do a 'What if' and please myself : )

Cheers

T-33 tip tanks were not jettisonable. The earlier tanks that hung completely underneath the wing may have been, but the Sargent Fletcher tanks that attached horizontally to the tip were not jettisonable.

T-33 tip tanks were jettisonable,note in this photo the pin to prevent accidental jettising them on the ground and the remove before flight flag attached.

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sabresix/?action=view&current=T-33419CF-100Sardinia60.jpg

At the risk of sounding like a modeller, the Academy T-33 DOES look like a T-33.

Very nicely done models! Nice indeed. But I'd invite you to show me a photo of a real T-33 with a curve on the upper line of the fuselage between the canopy and the fin. The Academy (and the Hawk kit they copied) have a droopy tail to the fuselage that's uncharacteristic of the real T-33. As well as it assembles, the fact of the matter is the kit (both actually) have some serious proportion/shape/dimension problems when comparing to an actual T-33.

Re the tip tanks - The USAF's Sargent Fletcher tanks were *not* jettisonable in flight. They might have originally been designed that way, but when I was around them in the 1980s they were most assuredly bolted firmly in place with nowhere for an RBF flagged safety pin.

That's not true. There is a major resin correction set by Fox3 Studios, it has been out for a number of years and is still available. It includes a new fuselage with a considerable length increase and new wings with speed brake wells. It does require some work with the panel lines to get it up to today's standard of precision, but at least you get the basic shape right, which all previous kits didn't.

The T-33 saw extensive use in the Korean war, for training and orientation flights as well as combat. Hobbycraft offers a "Korean War" boxing with the under-wingtip "Misawa" type tanks.

so there are no major correction sets and the like out there.

Very nicely done models! Nice indeed. But I'd invite you to show me a photo of a real T-33 with a curve on the upper line of the fuselage between the canopy and the fin. The Academy (and the Hawk kit they copied) have a droopy tail to the fuselage that's uncharacteristic of the real T-33. As well as it assembles, the fact of the matter is the kit (both actually) have some serious proportion/shape/dimension problems when comparing to an actual T-33.

Re the tip tanks - The USAF's Sargent Fletcher tanks were *not* jettisonable in flight. They might have originally been designed that way, but when I was around them in the 1980s they were most assuredly bolted firmly in place with nowhere for an RBF flagged safety pin.

I worked on the T-33,9 years between 1959 and 1975,and they were definately Jettisonable.In my preveous photo you can see the ground safety pins,and if you look at the attached photo,circled in red is the panic button to eject them.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sabresix/T-33CP5.jpg

The Academy (and the Hawk kit they copied) have a droopy tail to the fuselage that's uncharacteristic of the real T-33. As well as it assembles, the fact of the matter is the kit (both actually) have some serious proportion/shape/dimension problems when comparing to an actual T-33.

Still looks like a T-33 though. Depends on how offended your modelling sensibilities are I suppose.

W

Tony,have a look here there are 3 different schemes.

http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=64&pg=20

Cheers James,

That is just the job but it is a bit too expensive. They certainly have some very tempting Canadian schemes, I could spend a fortune on this site if I had the money,

All the best and cheers again,

Tony O

Cheers James,

That is just the job but it is a bit too expensive. They certainly have some very tempting Canadian schemes, I could spend a fortune on this site if I had the money,

All the best and cheers again,

Tony O

Leading Edge (lemdecal.com) does some CT-133 schemes as well, including the Mako Shark scheme which is one of the best special schemes ever applied to the T-Bird. Prices are generally lower than CanMilAir.

Edited by Adam Maas

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently building this kit in its current format - USAF grey overall trainer..

However I notice that there are some options in the kit for other versions - perhaps Armed.

There are two inserts for gun ports

The wings can have hard points - probably 4 rockets on each wing - but nothing is provided.

There is some 'gubbins' supplied on the sprues that look like it fills the rear cokpit instead of the seat - some boxes, etc.

There is an extra large/wide jet pipe that looks as if it will not fit in the fuselage.

So I suppose the questions are:

Did Acadamy ever do a different armed version of this kit?

Could it be that the sprues in the kit can be used for a F80/P80 Shooting Star or a Starfire kit?

Was there ever a single seat version of the T33 that was not a P80/F80?

Was the T-bird ever flown without the massive tip tanks? I prefer the look of the plane without 'a la' F80 - but the kit does not provide wing tips.

Nice kit - although I did have problems mating the wings to the fuselage.

Cheers

Rev. Light

Back in the mid 90s there was an "AT-33A" boxing of the kit (had a camouflaged Sandinistas aircraft on the boxtop) that as others have already said

had an extra sprue with 6X5inch FFARs and 2Xbombs together with pylons. Said kit had a HUGE decal sheet including in addition to the aforementioned

FAS example, FAE (Equador) with large sharkmouth, FAU (Uruguay) and Korea.

Many countries operated armed T-33s, mostly in Latin America. There have been some decal sheets in the past, no idea if they are still available. :unsure:

HAF also operated AT-33As as weapons trainers untill the mid-70s. Had an old magazine with a photo of one in SEA camo carrying the same stores as in the Hobbycraft kit (but I can't find it now).Note that Armed aircraft had two 0,50cal MGs in the nose.

RT-33 was flown as a single seater (with an extra fuel tank/electronic gear in the back seat).I think the Hobbycraft kit included this as an optional part;

not sure, it has been years since i built mine. Ditto for the AT-33.

No, fuel tanks were permanently installed.