Heller 1/72 Spitfire XVI

Folks,

Latest finish: Heller 1/72nd Scale Spit Mk XVI in the markings of an aircraft from 443 (Hornet) Sqn, RCAF, just after the end of WWII.

Codes / serials from Kagero; wheels from Airfix Mk XIX; canopy from Airfix Mk 22; fin / prop blades from 3D Kits conversion; spinner / underfuselage cowling from Hasegawa Spitfire Mk VIII.

The kit has been partially rescribed, and the cowling top built up with Milliput. I don't mind admitting, I'm quite chuffed with how it came out.

DSCF2903.jpg

DSCF2900.jpg

DSCF2898.jpg

DSCF2896.jpg

DSCF2886.jpg

DSCF2905.jpg

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo
  • Like 3

Whadda beauty.

The Wooksta told me the Heller XVI(I have one too)makes a nice model and

also has the most accurate 4 blade Rotol OOB.

I used that decal sheet to do the BBMF's MK356 when she displayed in 443's

colours too(she flew with 443 in service),it's a nice little sheet.

Well done Mike,very nicely presented.

And chuffed you should be. Thats a lovely looking Spit , the spinner looks very well done , Is it a decal or free hand paint ?

Keith,

Thanks very much!

Re the spinner, it's neither. Spinner painted yellow, then masked with Tamiya tape and sprayed black. The "developed spiral" shape was from a set of cheap WHSmiths French curves I have. It took a bit of trial and error to find a reasonable bit of curve to use and then to cut it out with the right thickness even using the curve as a template. Once I'd got one to my satisfaction, I cut the shape into about 3 bits and applied them separately. The bit nearest the tip was a bit of a fudge!

There was also a fair amount of touching up to do once it was unmasked!

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo

Very nice!

I did one last year and was impressed enough to get another for the stash.

If you spend a bit of time on it, like reducing the size of the radiator cowlings and sanding down the panel lines a little etc, it comes out pretty well.

No one should use the included decals though!

Well done.

Rick.

I really like this Spit. This goes to show more than anything that an "old" kit isn't necessarily now a "bad" one. Put time and effort into it just like a current kit and a good model can be the result. I hope if I ever get around to doing a bubbletop Spit XVI that it ends up looking at least half as good as this one.

WONDERFUL!!!! for me, that's the right word to describe this nicely, clean and fine job. I agree with all written but specially with Rick and JMChladek's ideas. Thank you very much for sharing.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES HERE AND THERE

ITS A REAL PLEASURE TO SHARE PART OF MY FREE TIME WITH YOU!!!!

• Like 1

That is one of my all time favourite Spitfire XVI schemes and you`ve done a great job on the old Heller kit, what a little beauty!

Merry Christmas,

Tony O

I also liked the Spit. I especially agree with Luis and Rick's comments.

Nicely done with keen attention to detail and good paintwork.

Thank you for sharing. Congrats to you.

Karen

• Like 1