Airfix A6M2 Zero

Pompey

Hi all just picked up the new Airfix A6M2 Zero from my LHS, initially it looks nice. The cockpit is more detailed than the Hasegawa option and the overall shape looks good. Having checked it against one set of plans in the FAOTW Series I canonly see two things Im not sure about, the spinner looks a little undersize (but not a lot) and the fuselage length looks about 2mm short, but I'm going to dig out some more books to check. Appart from that its a cracking kit, cheap and can be used to use up all those decals for the A6M2 that you have left over without breaking the bank. The folding wing-tip option opts for removing the outer wing panels so if you don't want the option of the fold there is not a problem with the tips. I think Airfix have done a great job at a good price, although if you want a top notch A6M2 you will need to get the Fine Molds kit but there's a big price difference! Here's a few pics.

kit.jpg

sprues.jpg

lowerwing.jpg

fuselage-2.jpg

There were two different sizes of spinner - the old Hasegawa kit used to give both so many people will have spares, should it be a problem.

My LHS doesn't have it, either: I hope it gets out soon for I've passed the word round as a suggested birthday present and the day approaches.

Where's your LHS? Neither Hannants or indeed Airfix themselves have this kit in stock yet!

thanks

Mike

With a name like Pompey I`d have a rough guess as it being around Portsmouth.....but then again I may be totally wrong!!

Cheers

Tony

Hi All I got mine from Paul at Waterlooville Model Centre, just north of Portsmouth, he had them delivered from Airfix this morning. I was suprised to see it to be honest as it wasn't the kit I was after but seeing it I could not resist.

Edited by Pompey

Hi All I got mine from Paul at Waterlooville Model Centre, just north of Portsmouth, he had them delivered from Airfix this morning. I was suprised to see it to be honest as it wasn't the kit I was after but seeing it I could not resist.

That's a great store! And it stocks Xtracrylix. Might have to wander up tomorrow morning to see if he's got any left.

regards,

Martin

That's a great store! And it stocks Xtracrylix. Might have to wander up tomorrow morning to see if he's got any left.

regards,

Martin

...will be there next week for mine !

Edited by FalkeEins

Hi, Paul had about half a dozen when I was in at 11:30, he's also got the new Revell Ju-88.

Ta. A visit up there is definitely on the agenda for tomorrow then . . .

regards,

Martin

Ta. A visit up there is definitely on the agenda for tomorrow then . . .

regards,

Martin

All,

Paul has now sold out of Zeros :( Prior to my visit, Portsmouth model club had 'bagsied' his remaining 3 examples, which sat mocking me on his counter. No amount of pathetic wheedling on my part could induce him to change his mind!

He still has the Revell 88, though.

regards,

Martin

Opps sorry Martin! I have just removed the fuselage halfs and gun deck to check and Airfix have got it right. I think I will be getting a few more of these.

No apology necessary. It's good to see a modelling club taking an interest in a LMS (as Paul has previously said). A bit frustrating, perhaps, on a personal level, but there's always e-bay.

regards,

Martin

Just picked up the last one from my LHS this morn, the guy in the shop (temp help) didn't know it was in either he is going to order some more £5.40 for the best looking early A6M I have seen in this scale If airfix keep going like this it may force some well known far east distributors to think about their pricing?

Been keen to get one of these (at least!) since seeing the test shots. Hope Airfix start deliveries to all the other LMS and outlets soon.