Custom Paint Jar Stand

Greg B

Large Rectangular 2 Tier Paint Jar Stand

Progressive Engineering

ProgEng%207.JPG

At this years Southern Expo held at Hornchurch on the 19th and 20th of March there was a new trader present with quite an interesting and more importantly useful range of products for the average modeller.

Progressive Engineering Link had on show a number of different sized, laser cut, self assembly, MDF stands to hold modelling paint jars, pots and bottles. What caught my eye was the simplicity, practicality and elegance of the designs as it has always been a struggle to keep my paints both easy to find, organised, ready to hand and most importantly tidy on my workbench.

On speaking to one of the owners Jon Page (Fraser Hale is the other owner), he explained that the products came about through the figure painting fraternity and his own experience (Jon paints model figures himself) and Hornchurch was their first show to try for a larger audience. Impressed with the product I duly handed over the cash to buy two of the 81 jar capacity Large Rectangular 2 Tier Paint Stand, only to find that with my paint of choice (Gunze Sangyo), the jars would not fit in the holes!! The normal stands were designed for Vallejo or Lifecolor which as you would expect are very popular with figure painters. Jon was not fazed by this and explained that it would be a very simple process to upscale the design into the computer controlled laser cutter to fit the Gunze Jars at no extra cost (always a pleasure to hear!). I also asked if it was possible to add a couple of extra holes to hold paint brushes and this was also confirmed as easy enough to do by Jon. So handing over a Gunze Sangyo jar as a sample I left it with him. The cost per stand was £35 including postage which is about the price of a far eastern 1/48 kit these days.

One week later two packages hit my desk in Germany (an exceptionally quick turnaround service!). Inside each was a complete set of stands with one containing my returned Gunze jar. :thumbsup:

Assembly took less than 10 minutes with the included allen key in the nuts and bolts bag, so letting the pictures do the rest of the talking:

ProgEng%201.JPG

ProgEng%202.JPG

ProgEng%203.JPG

Note the highlighted extra holes added on request for holding paint brushes.

ProgEng%204.JPG

ProgEng%205.JPG

ProgEng%206.JPG

ProgEng%207.JPG

A further surprise on taking the stands out of the packaging was that either Jon or Fraser had twigged from my postal address that I'm a serving Sapper and laser cut into the wood was my Corps' Cap Badge. This will be remounted back into the stand and glued firmly into place. 11/10 for attention to detail and customer service there Gents! :goodjob:

ProgEng%209.JPG

ProgEng%2010.JPG

I'm pretty impressed with this product and the others in their range. The customer service and can do attitude of Progressive Engineering was also a very pleasant experience.

Progressive Engineering have an ebay shop (link is on their webpage), you can also order direct from them and I would recommend this if you want to specify any changes such as brush holders or size of paint bottle/jar.

Prgogressive Engineering Solutions Ltd

Highly recommended.

Review Sample courtesy of my wallet. ;)

• Like 1

I saw then at Southern expo and had a long chat to them the week after.

They appear to know their stuff, I had a long chat with them and they are very open to ideas, anyway I have starting to stock the products.

What this means is that I'll have the standard rectangular and large (the size reviewed) vallejo versions on my stand at Cosford if anyone wants to have a close look.

Will be adding other bottle sized variants in the next few weeks.

Paul

• 1 month later...
Nice review,i saw the site and i dont know which will be fine for LC or tamiya acrilics?

Kind regards,Sven.

Gunze bottles are almost identical to Tamiya ones. They are certainly the same diameter.

Thanks for the great review Greg.

If anyone has any questions or requirements or needs anymore information please feel free to contact me directly. We are in the process of releasing a medium size rack (approx 50 Vallejo type droppers) and a 'workstation'.

Cheers

Jon

What are the dimensions on this WxDxH?

The Gunze/Tamiya one is 400W x 175D x 172H

Jon

Does look good, stylish, and they're almost on my doorstep :)

You are more than welcome to drop in and see us; normally around 8:30 to 5 weekdays and some Saturdays (today!). Might be worth giving us a call (01473 636787) before hand though just to save a wasted journey.

Jon

Hi Greg,

Great review :)

Looks like a sure fire winner to me.

One question. Is it easy to get to the paint jars at the back on the lower section?

The added touch of the engraved Cap badge is priceless. Excellent service :worthy:

Cheers,

Von Buckle

Hi Greg,

Great review :)

Looks like a sure fire winner to me.

One question. Is it easy to get to the paint jars at the back on the lower section?

The added touch of the engraved Cap badge is priceless. Excellent service :worthy:

Cheers,

Von Buckle

Bob, no issues with getting to the paint jars. Ask em nicely, they may even burn some boobies onto yours! :bouncy:

Bob, no issues with getting to the paint jars. Ask em nicely, they may even burn some boobies onto yours! :bouncy:

We can do that!!!!! :thumbsup:

We are in the process of releasing a medium size rack (approx 50 Vallejo type droppers) and a 'workstation'.

Will the new "Vallejo" stand look similar to the one above?

May I ask the "Layout"... 3 x 16, 4 x 12 etc?

Will the new "Vallejo" stand look similar to the one above?

May I ask the "Layout"... 3 x 16, 4 x 12 etc?

2 alternate rows of 6 and 7 holes on each level without a cut away on the top rack.

Approx 250mm W x 190mm H x 125mm D

£25 + P&P

otherwise very similar.

Jon

Edited by JonP

Are you able to produce one offs to customer design?

Within reason! :winkgrin:

If I can model it up on the CAD and cut it on the laser and make it all fit together then we most likely can.

Just let me know what you're after.

Jon

2 alternate rows of 6 and 7 holes on each level without a cut away on the top rack.

Approx 250mm W x 190mm H x 125mm D

£25 + P&P

otherwise very similar.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

Sounds good.

Looking forward to seeing one.

Within reason! :winkgrin:

If I can model it up on the CAD and cut it on the laser and make it all fit together then we most likely can.

Just let me know what you're after.

Jon

I really want a wall mountable rack for Zero Paints jars. Something capable of carrying the 60 or so jars plus future acquisitions.

THC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...