Sprue shots of the 1/72 Airfix Hawks ?

Laurent

Laurent,

Here you go. All the Hawk 128s went yesterday at Fairford, so only pictures of the T.1. The only decals are for the Red Arrows

Hopefully someone has else has pics.

hawk1-1.jpg

hawk2-1.jpg

hawk3.jpg

hawk4.jpg

Hawk5.jpg

Robert

All the lumps and bumps appear to be there. The cockpit has decals for the instrument panel and side consoles, though the seats will need replacing.

On a side note spoke to Trevor Snowden and he said they are looking ar a release date of early August for the Sea Harriers and the Canberras late August.

Robert

I missed all these at Fairford! :crying:

Whereabouts had them?

Oh well, I'll have to be satisfied with my two Fujimi Cutlasses, Fujimi Black Bunny Phantom and P-51 EggPlane . . .

And it wasn't even a model show! Lol!

Jim the Soggy

(or should that Jimbo Von SoggyPants . . . errr, no, that's even worse!)

Thanks Robert !

It looks as this kit isn't designed for the 'serious' (AMS victims, rivet counters) modelers but for young or casual modelers. It's nice as long as the price is reasonable. Comments and questions:

- the IPs are on a sprue presumably common to both kits. Doesn't only the Mk. 1xx have MFDs ?

- should there be some vortex generators on top of the wings ?

- the seats do not look like late Mk.10 seats: depression in the headrest like in early seat version; the seats of all Hawks have been changed AFAIK

- the wheel wells aren't on the shallow side ?

I don't have the old Airfix tooling but I wouldn't surprised if the parts breakdown was very similar. I like the positionable pilot arms.

Thanks again for the pics :worthy:

Edited by Laurent

Laurent.

Answers

- The IP are flat and decals are used for the instruments

- There are vortex generators on the wings, very delicate mouldings

- Yes the seats will need replacing with resin items

- Yes the wheel wells are a bit, but the nosewheel is fine

Yes the kit is a bit simplified but I like it. Its going to look in all black!

BTW the price was ÂŁ5.65

Robert

BTW the price was ÂŁ5.65

That's a superb price. I see that Airfix haven't started charging ludicrous prices like some of the other companies.

Now... who will be the first to provide a detailed cockpit, ordnance and pylon set for this kit? (I'm never satisfied... :D )

Its a fast build - you can build it, prime it, then paint and add the cockpit decals at a later stage.

DSCF2803.jpg

I hope that this kit will arrive soon in France...

Edited by Laurent

Wot, no SMURFS Jonathan? :wicked:

(nice build so far though). Kirk

Er, just in front of the tailplanes? :analintruder:

Having made all the other Hawk kits (Airfix, Matchbox, Italeri and Fujimi) this is the easiest build of the lot, the plastic is nice to sand which makes clean up fast. I gave the coat of primer a rub down tonight, ready for cockpit and u/c painting tomorrow.

I don't have the old Airfix tooling but I wouldn't surprised if the parts breakdown was very similar.

It looks more akin to the 1/48th kits -down scaled - rather than the old 1/72nd scale - if so watch out for the length of the main undercarriage units!

It looks more akin to the 1/48th kits -down scaled - rather than the old 1/72nd scale - if so watch out for the length of the main undercarriage units!

There is a close family resemblance to the 1/48th scale kit, isn't there? Actually the one thing I'm interested in and can't see in Robert's photos is whether the wing undersides have flashed over slots for weapons pylons?

John

Edited by John

There is a close family resemblance to the 1/48th scale kit, isn't there? Actually the one thing I'm interested in and can't see in Robert's photos is whether the wing undersides have flashed over slots for weapons pylons?

John

Flashed over holes for the inboard and outboard pylons, also the extra wing fences (that are not included in these releases).

AFAIK, the new kits have no provenance with the 1/48 kits but were designed from scratch using BAE Systems own CAD model for the airframe parts.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

John

I didn't notice that earlier but there are no pylons by the look of it - which is a shame. I daresay someone will be producing resin pylons and stores - in fact IIRC the older Airfix Hawk had a rather nice pair of SNEB pod's........

Flashed over holes for the inboard and outboard pylons, also the extra wing fences (that are not included in these releases).

AFAIK, the new kits have no provenance with the 1/48 kits but were designed from scratch using BAE Systems own CAD model for the airframe parts.

Are pylons included Jonathan?

Are pylons included Jonathan?

Not in the RA release, they are in the 100 kit on the same sprue as the Sidewinders, gun pod and two styles of drop tanks.

I can only guess that the RA kit doesn't have that sprue as its just meant to be the RA version only, and that the weapons sprue could then be included with the standard kit to make a T.Mk.1A in the future.

Just a guess mind!

Not in the RA release, they are in the 100 kit on the same sprue as the Sidewinders, gun pod and two styles of drop tanks.

I can only guess that the RA kit doesn't have that sprue as its just meant to be the RA version only, and that the weapons sprue could then be included with the standard kit to make a T.Mk.1A in the future.

Just a guess mind!

Thanks Jonathan - must pop into M*delz*ne tomorrow - see if they have them in............