FIGAS B-N Islander

Evening all

Those of you who are IPMS (UK) members may have seen an advert in the last issue of The Magazine asking for volunteers to make models of Falklands War participants for the Museum in Stanley.

Anyway, I've signed up to make the FIGAS Islander VP-FAY, which was captured by the Argentinians, before being destroyed on the ground by a Sea Harrier raid on Stanley airfield.

These are the only pictures that I've so far been able to find on the web (I do like that series of stamps!).

islandervp-fay.jpg

islander1.jpg

islander2.jpg

I'm interpreting the fuselage stripes (going upwards), as red/deep burgundy/black. Can anybody confirm or deny? It has been suggested that these might be standard B-N colours for the time?

Also, any ideas on seat colours?

Any assistance with info would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Cliff

P.S. I'll be starting the build shortly (Airfix kit, of course), so hence the choice of WiP for this topic!

Edited by CliffB
  • Like 1

So here's the kit I'll be using - interesting to note how full the box is (no 'packaged air' in the 70's).

P1070743.jpg

The parts are crisp and seem to fit together pretty well. A few rivets to get rid of, plus a surreal 'exo-skeleton' around the windows and doors. What were Airfix thinking of? I can't see anything on an Islander that would prompt that! :S

P1070745.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

Ill watch this, as Im half way through a trilander conversion.

That sounds fascinating and ambitious Rich - are you doing a WiP?

Cliff

Cliff

Don't know if you're aware of it, but S&M Decals do a FIGAS Islander in 1/72 scale (SM72-199).

I assume it's the same scheme but without a website with pictures (Selina please note!) it's not possible to be certain.

Richard

Cliff

Don't know if you're aware of it, but S&M Decals do a FIGAS Islander in 1/72 scale (SM72-199).

I assume it's the same scheme but without a website with pictures (Selina please note!) it's not possible to be certain.

Richard

Hi Richard

Many thanks for this - I didn't know about the S&M Decal Sheet.

I've just emailed tahs to see which scheme is covered (50:50 chance it's the one I'm after!).

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Richard

Many thanks for this - I didn't know about the S&M Decal Sheet.

I've just emailed tahs to see which scheme is covered (50:50 chance it's the one I'm after!).

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Cliff.

I can tell you that the S&M sheet is for the overall orange with blue cheatline edged in white as I did the artwork for it but I could do the scheme you are modelling and looking at your pics it looks as if it uses the same dark blue and orange/red.

Cheers

Ray

• 2 months later...

Was it really July that I started this thread? Clearly yes.

Since then I've done absolutely nothing on the Islander, but fortunately others have not been so idle.

Janet Cox has been outstanding in obtaining additional photographs and first-hand accounts from Britten-Norman and also from a gentleman on the Falklands who used to work with VP-FAY, so I now have a pretty good idea of the aircraft's internal and external colours.

Based on these photos, Ray at Two-six Decals is planning to produce a decal sheet - fantastic!

So it's about time that I kept up my side of the bargain.

I managed a little yesterday, firstly removing all the surface detail from the fuselage and then adding the doors and windows. These were a pretty good fit, although the windows wre a bit 'bottle glass' and also pretty scratched from rattling around in the box for around 40 years. Some careful sanding and polishing helped a lot though.

P1070861.jpg

I've also started to think about nose weight (the Airfix Islander is a notorious tail sitter, with only limited space available in the nose and engine nacelles). As the model is destined for public display, the last thing I want is for it to be at unstable.

With the doors closed and seats in place, there is actually very little that can be seen of the cabin floor, so I've decided to load this up with flattened airgun pellets. Anything forward of the fourth row of seats is of value. I've also 'lead lined' the pilot footwell under the instrument panel (shouldn't be visible when painted matt black and may be handy in the event of nuclear attack).

P1070862.jpg

I think this extra weight will do the trick - I just hope the undercarriage will take it!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

A very interesting project, Cliff.

Wonder why I didn't saw it in july.

It seems that you've found some good sources?

Got many plastic projects regarding this war, and among them a short Skyvan, for which informations are quite hard to obtain.

Good luck.

Those of you who are IPMS (UK) members may have seen an advert in the last issue of The Magazine asking for volunteers to make models of Falklands War participants for the Museum in Stanley.

Anyway, I've signed up to make the FIGAS Islander VP-FAY, which was captured by the Argentinians, before being destroyed on the ground by a Sea Harrier raid on Stanley airfield.

Hi Cliff,

I saw VP-FAY when we flew forward to the airfield immediately after the surrender. The tail had broken off, as a result of the Harrier attack, but the rest of the aircraft was still standing on its wheels.

I took a photo but I have been searching high and low and can't find it at the moment. I'll keep looking and will certainly send you a copy if I do.

I have found the photos which I took of the other FIGAS aircraft, the DH Beavers, which were based down at the seaplane hangar. The damage from the Harrier attacks was much more obvious as can be seen in the photos below.

Mike

VP-FAV

BeaverVP-FAVstrafedw-offJune1982.jpg

VP-FAT - note the destroyed houses in the background

BeaverVP-FATdestroyedJune1982.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Cliff,

I saw VP-FAY when we flew forward to the airfield immediately after the surrender. The tail had broken off, as a result of the Harrier attack, but the rest of the aircraft was still standing on its wheels.

I took a photo but I have been searching high and low and can't find it at the moment. I'll keep looking and will certainly send you a copy if I do.

I have found the photos which I took of the other FIGAS aircraft, the DH Beavers, which were based down at the seaplane hangar. The damage from the Harrier attacks was much more obvious as can be seen in the photos below.

Mike

Hi Mike

What great photos of the Beavers and thank you for the offer of the Islander photo too.

I do have a couple of photos of the damaged VP-FAY, but more are always appreciated - you never know what new detail a particular shot will show!

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Mike

What great photos of the Beavers and thank you for the offer of the Islander photo too.

I do have a couple of photos of the damaged VP-FAY, but more are always appreciated - you never know what new detail a particular shot will show!

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Yes, I'll keep trawling through my stuff but it's nearly 30 years ago so struggling to find where it might be. The suprising thing is that it is not in my Falklands folder (hard copy) where I have all the other photos which I took during the conflict.

Any chance you can post the ones you have of the damaged VP-FAY?

cheers

Mike

Any chance you can post the ones you have of the damaged VP-FAY?

Mike

Hi Mike

Unfortunately none of the images I have are mine to post - they are either in magazines or have been provided specifically to help with this model. :(

Nice one,

I have the coastguard Islander to do. I was going to leave the raised detail on but looking at yours I am going to sand it all off.

Julien

Hi Julien

The removal of the surface detail makes a big differance. As you can see though, I went too far and ended up having to get the filler out (as usual!).

Good luck with your Coastguard version.

Cheers

Cliff

A little more progress to report. Most significantly a dry run with all the lead on board shows the Islander resting securely on its nose wheel (well a bit of sprue actually..)

P1070864.jpg

Result!

Cheers

Cliff

Right, time for the interior.

As I mentioned, Janet Cox has contacts in the Falklands, including a gentleman called Vernon Steen who worked with VP-FAY (and also, as it happens, is a Trustee of the Museum - no pressure there then!).

Vernon has kindly provided the following information from his recollections;

1) Seat covers were light brown (possibly with some darker strips in the seat back covers)

2) Carpet was mid-brown and extending circa 150mm up the walls.

3) Ceiling and upper half of side walls were white vinyl.

4) Lower half of side walls were light grey dimpled aluminium sheet

5) Finishes to upper and lower fuselage sides were joined at the waist line by a horizontal white plastic strip (circs 25mm deep).

6) Door trim was an extension of the side wall trim.

In addition, I have access to a couple of photos that show one of the doors open. These show mid-brown trim (carpet?) all the way up to the waist line, with a wide black(?) band above. This band appears to be the feature that Airfix have moulded into the interior side walls of the kit.

So based on all this information, here is my interpretation......

P1070869.jpg

P1070868.jpg

You'll notice that I've gone for a simplified version, with brown all the way up to the waist line (with black band above). Partly this was because all the lumps and bumps in the kit make it difficult to mask up a more complex scheme and partly it was because I wanted some camouflage for the lead weight piled on the floor.

Paints are Humbrol 62 and 63 (simply because I had them to hand). Both are significantly browner than they appear in the photos.

Some quick dry brushing brought the instrument panel alive and I also did a light oil wash over the seats.

The very simple seat belts are from painted Tamiya tape and are virtually invisible once everything is closed up!

All in all though I'm still pretty pleased with this afternoon's effort ;)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...