Paul A H's Su-39 Tankbusterski

For my first ever group build I'll be kicking off with Zvezda's 1/72 Su-39. The Su-39, AKA the Su-25TM (Tahnkovyy Modernizeerovannyy - anti-tank, upgraded) is a warmed-over version of the Su-25T with a radar pod carried under the fuselage and new optoelectronic systems. I haven't seen many Zvezda Su-39s built up... so hopefully there are no sinister surprises.

Here is the customary picture of the box:

su391.jpg

The sprues:

su393.jpg

su394.jpg

Some of the weapons, including KH-29 ASMs and the luxury decal sheet. It looks like the rats have been at the canopy... hopfully it will look ok when painted up.

su395.jpg

I'll be using the Pavla seat to spruce up the cockpit:

su392.jpg

Edited by Paul A H

Brilliant, I do love the Su-39 and 25 (I.m doing the Kopro Su25K)

The camo looks like the navalised version.

I really look forward to your build.

Howard

Edit: I'm now at home and have my Su 25 references in front of me and there are a few pictures of blue 21 in Yefim Gordons book on the su25. These pics are in colour and do show port, starboard and (near) frontal views including a VERY full loadout with the kop'yo radar pod on the centreline. Although I don't have a scanner I could possibly use my dads and send them to you if required.

Howard

Edited by _H_

Brilliant, I do love the Su-39 and 25 (I.m doing the Kopro Su25K)

The camo looks like the navalised version.

I really look forward to your build.

Howard

Edit: I'm now at home and have my Su 25 references in front of me and there are a few pictures of blue 21 in Yefim Gordons book on the su25. These pics are in colour and do show port, starboard and (near) frontal views including a VERY full loadout with the kop'yo radar pod on the centreline. Although I don't have a scanner I could possibly use my dads and send them to you if required.

Howard

Thanks Howard. I have the Yefim Gordon Aerofax book which has a section on the Su25TM/Su-39 - is that the same one you have? Sorry, I should have mentioned I'll be using it as a reference for this build. Oddly enough, the decals supplied are for White 21 and not Blue 21 as shown on the box. The only difference as far as I can see is that on some of the airframes the undersurfaces are light blue instead of light grey. I think I'll be using the light blue scheme which seems right for white 21.

I've been hacking the cockpit around today - it seems the weakest part of the kit, with no instrument panel detail at all. I've drilled some holes to represent the dials - not great but better than nothing!

For my first ever group build I'll be kicking off with Zvezda's 1/72 Su-39. The Su-39, AKA the Su-25TM (Tahnkovyy Modernizeerovannyy - anti-tank, upgraded) is a warmed-over version of the Su-25T with a radar pod carried under the fuselage and new optoelectronic systems. I haven't seen many Zvezda Su-39s built up... so hopefully there are no sinister surprises.

Here is the customary picture of the box:

su391.jpg

Interesting that the kit has been "licensed by the Sukhoj OKB": didn't take long for that little lawyers' wheeze to spread to Russia.

Nick

• Like 1

Quick update on progress - the fuselage is together and the cockpit has been fixed in place. The instructions would have you place the cockpit lower down with the pilot presumably sitting on a high chair. I'm not that happy with the cockpit, but the canopy is not great either so it should hide some of the worst bits! I've used styrene strip to add some detail to the bulkhead behind the pilot. Otherwise, fit seems ok. I'll be making some covers for the intake that should detract from the nasty seams inside the nacelles... I've got a plan for everything, see?

su396.jpg

Because I've altered the position of the cockpit there is now a gap between the instrument panel and the coaming. I'm building it up with filler and sanding it smooth.

su397.jpg

The wings and nacelles have been assembled and seams are being filled and sanded - more pictures later!

Edited by Paul A H

Flippin' Hell Paul !

You're moving with some speed !

I'm still trying to paint the belts and buckles on the recliner from my Yak

Looks like a cracking kit (or is that just the workmanship ?)

mike

Thanks Mike! It's not a bad kit; the engraved detail is a little heavy and I've had to use a bit of filler, but overall it builds up quite nicely.

Quick update on progress - the model has been primed and has received a coat of light blue on the undersides and upper wing surfaces. After a couple of days drying time I'll be getting the blutac out ready to mask it up. I reckon I might get another model or two out of this group build. What next, I wonder... :hmmm:

Nice, made a Su-25 many many years ago, didn't do it justice I think, but looks as if you've set about this with a purpose, I've only just photographed the bits in my build! (My first group build too, ahhhh! )

Thanks Chaps!

The Xtracolor enamels I'm using to paint this model have been going on very well and have dried nicely, so I've got all three shades of blue on now:

su3910.jpg

It looks a bit grey here, but that's just the lighting... it is blue really!

Once the darkest shade of blue is dry, I can apply the decals. The decal sheet is rather sparse, so I'll be using some spare stencils left over from my Su-24 build.

Very nice, swift progress Paul, that camo looks grand :thumbsup:

I picked up an Italeri boxing of the Zvezda single seat Su-25. Was a bit worried as to how it goes together, but yours seems to be scrubbing up pretty well, so not as bad as I first thought it seems.

Keep up the good work :)

Edited by Seamus

Thanks everone! :)

Quick update on progress: I painted the dielectric panels on the top of the fin, at each wingtip and under the cockpit last night. I also applied the decals supplied with the kit. There are only 13 of them, so it didn't take long! I was a little worried that the decals might have silvered as they are quite matt, but they have gone on beautifully. I've also added the missle launch rails to the innermost pylons. I'll add some spare stencils tonight.

su3911.jpg

Taken in daylight - looks a lot more blue now!